Send Topic Print
firing (Read 7 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
firing
09/11/07 at 17:09:33

does the s40 really fire every time instead of every other time i sure wouldnt have thought that

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: firing
Reply #1 - 09/11/07 at 17:21:03

I was thinking about this the other day and could not remember which way it goes.......    ???

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 09/11/07 at 17:23:15

Every other time or else it would be a 2stroke

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #3 - 09/11/07 at 17:27:53

It fires even on the dead stroke which contributes to burning unburned mixture in the exhaust (popping). To keep it simple the ignition and alt/generator coil are combined and fires on each revolution of the crank. So if you buy a tachometer make sure you're getting one that works on a 2 stroke even though it's a 4 stroke Smiley Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 09/11/07 at 17:31:29

Just like a dual fire Harley ok. Duh Embarrassed Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #5 - 09/11/07 at 17:38:42

I had made that mistake when I bought a small induction tach. I bought a 4 cycle version, which is correct mechanically, but I needed the 2 cycle version electrically. Once I made the switch, the tach works great.

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/11/07 at 18:07:47

i bought a 4cycle tach   i guess i will put it on my lawnmower

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 09/11/07 at 19:20:36

So......the interesting subject of what is single fire and what is dual.    Usually dual fire bikes have more than one cylinder!! Also, Two wires out of one ign coil is a big clue.   In reality,  today's manufacturers do funny things with ignitions especially with electronic ign's and you need to find which tachs work on the bike.   Don't try the "well if it's a ........" and 2-cycle and 4-cycle dosen't mean dual fire or single fire,  but mostly 2 cycles are single fire.

So...here you go....

I have a MMB Electronic Tach on mine that is a 1:1 tach and it works nice.   It did NOT work on my old bike which was a '82 Honda CM250C Custom (TwinStar engine) which is considered 100% a dual fire bike ((it gave twice the real RPM on the Honda)).

So, since my tach didn't run on a dual fire bike and runs nice on the LS650, I would say LS650's need single fire tachs.

Second,  since there are many threads on the mini digital tachs that work, and from hunting for a tach for the Honda, I found that they're single fire because they are made for lawn tractors/mowers, again I would say LS650's need single fire tachs.

Lastly, occasionaly you will see an EBay seller listing a mini analog tach for the LS650,  that is also same tach that is sold for single fire HD's.......need I say more....

Note: Need to attach the electronic tach's (not induction)to the B/Y (black/ yellow strip? ? ?) wire on Ign coil not the O /W (orange / white stripe? ? ?) wire.  I know from learning from an OOPS.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #8 - 09/12/07 at 06:57:12

To summarize ( or make things even more confused)

The Savage/LS650/S40 is a 4 stroke DUAL fire ignition ( meaning 2 fires in every 4 stroke cycle) and works from the negative puls of the CDI.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 09/12/07 at 07:17:53

To add to Kropatchek, it is called "Wasted Spark".  It fires on both strokes at TDC.

Much simpler to do the ignition with a pick up coil on the crankshaft than timing off the cam shaft.  The extra spark on the exhaust stroke is supposedly good for removing small amounts of unburned gas, too.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 09/13/07 at 08:57:33

I just re-read my post and realize it might not relay the thought I had.    

I really wanted to say that depending on what the manufacturer does with the ign and what ever you want to call it, you still need the tach to read the red-line they come up with.    Yea, the way the ign pickup is on the LS650 is, it fires twice, once on compression and once on exhaust strokes and in pure theory that is dual fire.  But,......... Suzuki says red-line is 6500 rpm, max HP is around 3100, and to get the tach to read that,  it's got to be a single fire tach.  

So,  I guess we could get someone with a mechanical  handheld tach and have them put it on the flywheel through the timing hole and find out the actually mechanical RPM.....but, if I recall correectly the manual say to use an electrical tach to set idle.......sounds like a debate coming....  ....  wonder if the mechanical rpm is really 500-600 at idle,  hmmmmmmmm.....

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 09/13/07 at 10:16:13

I remember that "back in the day", a tach came with clips or jumpers that allowed you to set the number of cylinders...of course, that was on single coil (point) ignition systems.

Anyway...isn't the tach counting revolutions and not compression strokes?  If there is one pulse per revolution, it is a no brainer for the tach.  1=1.

So yeah, at 1100 RPMs we would be running at 550 CPMs (compressions per minute).

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow...that's it Tongue

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 09/13/07 at 10:40:04

Greg,
  yea.....where's my mind......that would be 1:1.

I keep thinking of my old 250 Honda (same engine as the 250 Rebels have now).  Two cylinders, 180 deg out (one compressing, one exhausting at same time) and two wires coming out of the one coil to fire the spark on each stroke.   Honda listed it at 9500 max rpm, but my 1:1 tach rev'd pass 12K at not even half throttle.   That's what I consider a dual fire bike because it needs different circuitry in tach.   The Pro-Cycle tach's have a wire that gets cut to change between single or dual....but they were too big to fit where I wanted to put the tach.

Thanks for waking me up.

---
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 09/13/07 at 12:03:58

I keep thinking of my old 250 Honda (same engine as the 250 Rebels have now).  Two cylinders, 180 deg out (one compressing, one exhausting at same time)

T-Mack, if your Honda was a 180° twin, it worked "one compressing, one banging".

When one goes up, the other goes down.

If both went up&down at the same time, you had a 360° twin.

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #14 - 09/13/07 at 12:12:51

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
 wonder if the mechanical rpm is really 500-600 at idle,  hmmmmmmmm.....

I have checked the rpm with an electronic Proptach used on aircraft to check 2 or 3 bladed props by using an induction timing light as a light source. This Proptach is so accurate that when pointed to a lightbulb it reads 3600 (115 Volts, 60 cycle per second X 60= 3600 cyles per min). When my ENM tach reads 1200 the proptach reads 1200. So when buying an induction tachometer make sure it works thru impulses of each turn of the crank. IAW one that works on a 2 stroke Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 04:38:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › firing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.