Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brake Pad Wear Limit Indicator (Read 42 times)
polloloco83
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Brake Pad Wear Limit Indicator
08/11/07 at 20:02:15

I went to replace my brake pads today because they've been squeaking a lot, but I saw a line on the brake pads and plenty of material.  Is the line the wear limit indicator?  If my brake pads don't need replacement, then what might be causing all the squeaking while I brake?  I also get some rubbing noises when going slow coming from the front.  Here's a pic of my brake pads and the rotor, click on the image for a much larger pic.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Brake Pad Wear Limit Indicator
Reply #1 - 08/11/07 at 21:58:50

It's generally considered bad form to allow a calliper to hang from the hose.
Those pads are as close to new as is possible. The rotor looks fine. These brakes squeal as they bed in. Mine made me crazy for a while. Thank goodness the OEM pads wore out quick. They died at 5,000 miles. The EBC's squealed a bit, then bedded & are generally quiet. If the noise is bugging you, try some disk brake anti squeal from the auro parts house.
NIce pics,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
polloloco83
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 08/11/07 at 22:40:26

My bike has 5500 miles it, it had 4973 when I got it 3 weeks ago.  The squeaking has gotten worse since I got it.  The dealer I bought it from must have used some anti-squeak crap.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
It's generally considered bad form to allow a calliper to hang from the hose.
I knew someone was going to get me for that!  I knew I should have used some 550 cord or something, especially after I took the pic.

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #3 - 08/12/07 at 05:33:21

Yes, that line is the wear limit indicator, though I have no idea how you are supposed to check it easily with the caliper assembly in place.  Crawl underneath, perhaps?  Squealing pads seem to be a Savage signature like the backfire, part of the bike's "character" if you like it.     On my wife's bike the squeal changed to an intermittent scrape when the pads wore out completely.  In the past I used some kind of silicone RTV on the back of auto brake pads that was supposed to damp out high-frequency squeal.   The Clymer manual p.299 says something similar - coat the back of the pads with brake "lubricant" whatever that is.  The only disc brake lubricant I know of is the high-temperature silicone grease for the caliper slider pins.  You don't want too much grease around the pads, that's for sure, so I would go with the small dab of RTV.  Have to check my auto parts store to see if Permatex still makes the stuff.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 08/12/07 at 16:02:38

There used to be a spray made to coat the back of automotive brake pads made by Locktight. It was a blue sticky looking stuff and it came in a little 12 oz can. Last time I changed the pads on my '02 I used it and haven't had any problems with squeeking front brakes. Your pads look great Polloloco83 no need to replace them.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/13/07 at 05:35:18

I can see the copper in those pads, so they're sintered metal. The set of sintered metal pads I used squealed off and on but performed well and lasted a long time.  The ceramic pads I have on now perform just as well and don't squeal at all.  They are supposed to be long-lasting too, but I'll have to wait a while to find out for sure.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 08/13/07 at 06:15:35

polloloco83,
  Thanks for the thread and the pict's.  I notice I need to replace my front pads.  

Rob,
  With the longer lasting pads, have you seen any threads where the rotors are wearing faster?

I vaguely remember in the old days, you had a choice, soft pads + long rotor life, OR longer pad life & shorter rotor life.  But,  that was many years ago before all the hi-tech materials.  We use to opt for short pad life because they were easier to replace.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 08/13/07 at 07:42:32

I don't know if the sintered metal pads chewed it any faster or not.  I didn't measure the rotor but I didn't notice any visible wear beyond what I had seen with the previous pads, which I assumed were stock since I bought the bike with 1640 miles on it and the pads were nearly gone 1500 miles later.  The ceramics are supposed to be good on the rotor but I haven't verified that.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/14/07 at 23:49:54

I guess they been workin Reelthing hard again. Or, he went fishing. BUT, he has the EBC ceramics & wouldnt do that if he thought they ate the disk.Seems he has the drilled rotor too. Might be tougher than stock.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 08/15/07 at 05:21:00

I put the drilled rotor on mine at the same time I changed to the ceramics.  We'll see how they both fare.

rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #10 - 08/16/07 at 07:57:14

Duh - now I know why I couldn't see the wear indicator, it was worn off, down to the metal base plate!  I ended up with new OEM pads Suzuki P.No. 59300-24850 that have shim backing plates attached, presumably for anti squeak.  The originals did not.  So the wear indicator is a thin groove on the pad edge (not the inside face groove) that is hard to see when the dust builds up.  Given the rapid wear rate I know to check more often, that's for sure.  The replacement job was straightforward, other than guarding against spills from that dinky master cylinder reservoir.  I used a suction bulb to lower the fluid before compressing the piston back but still some got spilled on the tank surface.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/16/07 at 12:32:47

I never add brake fluid, unless there's been a leak. Then, repair & add. Otherwise, the fluid level indicates the amount the pistons in the calliper are out, which is another brake wear indicator.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #12 - 08/16/07 at 12:49:04

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Duh - now I know why I couldn't see the wear indicator, it was worn off, down to the metal base plate!  

What was your mileage when you had to replace?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 08/16/07 at 13:33:00

The stock set are soft and often need replacement at about 3K miles.

grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #14 - 08/17/07 at 00:20:01

I have right at 5000 miles and tend to overuse the front compared to the rear brake. Just checked mine when I gave 'her' a good wash last week. I still have about half the pad left. Terrain has a big input. Memphis is as flat as coastal Carolina. Those that ride the mountains will wear pads much faster. Many variables to your pad life!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:00:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake Pad Wear Limit Indicator

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.