Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
K&N  Cone Filter installed (Read 50 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
K&N  Cone Filter installed
09/12/07 at 14:12:39

Well, let me tell you, that was an adventure.

I finally figured out that I had to remove the top of my battery box as well as the carb and seat.  What I wan't planning on was having to cut away a portion of my stock air-box to make the cone fit.

After using the dremmel and a heavey pair of cutters, I managed to forge an opening large enough for the filter to comfortable rest in the void without contacting anything.

I then upjetted the carb.  Since I'm running a stock exhaust, I selected a 55 pilot and a 152.5 main.  My initial road test was, WOW.  I can;t believe how much more power that engine produces..

I got it up to 55mph then pegged the throttle.  Instead of lugging it's way to 60 and beyond, it actually took off and run!  It was FAST.

The only thing I am not happy with is the whistle that has developed since I changed the intake.  Since I am no longer using the sealed air-box, the engine is much louder under acceleration.  I expected that.  What I was not expecting was the low speed 'whistle'.  At 25mph (in 3rd gear, realtively low rpm and throttle operation) there is a distict whistle.  If I accelerate faster, it goes away.  It may still be there say at 45mph (but the wind noise is so loud I can't hear it any more.)

Any Ideas what the whistle is and should I be concerned?

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: K&N  Cone Filter installed
Reply #1 - 09/12/07 at 14:18:24

did you leave any vac line open?

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #2 - 09/12/07 at 14:41:13

Vaccuum line is secure to the petcork and the carb.  It is cinched tight using a small zip tie on both ends.

the screws on the air horn as well as the float bowl are tight, no obvious leaks.

I'm tending to believe that it is realted to turbulent air from the new air filter. Or it may have been there all along but never heard it (it was muffled by the stock air-box)?

I do have one question.  What do I do with the crank case breather hose?  It was using the filtered sid of the stock air-box.  Now, there is nothing there.
Should I get another small filter for the crankcase breather?  If so, where would you guys suggest I mount it?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 09/12/07 at 15:37:54

A small in line fuel filter works great for the crankcase  breather hose. Mount it up as high as you can.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 09/12/07 at 15:45:55

Why didn't you remove the stock airbox completely?Since you cut it up the new airflow pattern into it might be making it whistle.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 09/12/07 at 15:46:37

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Any Ideas what the whistle is and should I be concerned?

Have you ever seen the inside of your carburetor?  Ever heard the word "venturi"...

And you really cut up your battery box with a pair of cutters to make it fit?  And the stock airbox is still in there too?  That sure does sound like a lot of work.

Tongue

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 09/12/07 at 16:11:16

Well, I started with the pair of cutters.  I quickly graduated to my dremmel tool with a cut off wheel.

What I essentially did was cut off the bend that the stock air-hose connected to off and made it flush with the frame.  That way, I could slide the cone filter in and out without having to remove the carb to do so.  the filter is up and away from the opening so what is left of the stock air box is not interfering or causing any turbulance.

I left the stock air box in place because I could not think of any way to mount the side trim pieces. I didn't want to have the gaping hole in the frame that was otherwise there.

Leaving the air box in place also allowed me to route several of my cable bundles down and away from the seat thus eliminating the potential for a pinched or shorted cable.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 09/12/07 at 17:10:52

Photos would be nice, as this is a mod many may be thinking of.  A lot of us would like to swtich to a cone but keep the side panals, your solution sounds good..if somewhat labor intensive.  Which nr K&N did you use?
and one last question if you will, how high pitched is the new whistle.  Thanks and congrats on what sounds like a job well done.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #8 - 09/12/07 at 18:26:55

pods are known for being noisy. i think it is because the air is being sucked in from all the way around instead of from behind. i had pods on my cb750 chop and they were really noisy, changed to velocity stacks and the noise went away. my 2 cents.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 09/13/07 at 05:29:03

Venturi?

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/13/07 at 06:15:12

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I do have one question.  What do I do with the crank case breather hose?  It was using the filtered sid of the stock air-box.  Now, there is nothing there.
Should I get another small filter for the crankcase breather?  If so, where would you guys suggest I mount it?

After getting rid of the stock air box and installing a cone filter, I added a filter. I used a small diameter stainless tube to connect the filter to a cut piece of the stock crankcase vent hose. It rides just under the lip of the tank, out of the way of my leg. Works great! Ten bucks at AutoZone.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 09/13/07 at 07:11:50

I did mine in this manner.  I got the K&N breather with the mounting stud and made a small "L" bracket.

Since I had moved my horn anyway, I used one of those tapped holes and mounted it out front of the tank on the left side.  Didn't even have to cut the stock hose.

It is in the wind, away from the engine, and because I kept the hose elevated, oil vapors seem to condense and go back into the engine.  Never a drop of oil out of the filter.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 09/13/07 at 07:20:09

Of course, after I removed the stock airbox and moved the battery rearward, I mounted the cone filter without cutting the battery box.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Whistle while you work.....
Reply #13 - 09/14/07 at 11:31:02

Someone ALOT smarter than me figured out what the whistling sound was that I have been hearing since I swapped out my stock intake for a K&N cone.

Butch (the genius) took a quick ride around the block and came back proclaiming everything is kosher.

The whistling (according to him) is caused by the butterfly valve on the intake side of the carb.  He said that at certain very low throttle positions, the butterfly valve is mostly closed and in that position can cause turbulance when the air/fuel is drawn past it (the venturi effect- Thanks Savage Greg!)  With the old filter and stock air box, the whistle was likely there all along only very low (with the lower volume of air and fuel veing delivered) and was most likely muffled by the airbox itself.

Enter new air filter.  Low restriction means more air in.  Larger jet means more fuel in.   More air and more fuel means more volume travelling past the butterfly valve.

Couple that with the lack of any baffles and it's no wonder I hear every compression stroke (it sounds SOOO cool when I jump on the throttle now!)

Oh and by the way.  I was over on the Fleabay site and someone is offering a K&N 'LIKE' cone filter.  From the looks of it, it is about 1" shorter than the K&N but roughly the same diameter.  From the looks of it, it will fit without modification to the airbox (like I had to with the K&N.  The drawback is it is a smaller filter.  Less surface area means less air in than the K&N.  it will work, but how well is only a guess....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 09/15/07 at 06:08:46

He's pretty close, but the whistling is more likely caused by the air getting sucked by the CV round slide in the carb intake.  That is really what controls the air flow because it goes up and down as the butterfly (throttle plate) opens and closes.

And as I hinted..."venturi".

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 20:39:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › K&N  Cone Filter installed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.