Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Would you be interested in a section for trikes & sidecars?

Make it a stand alone section.  
  0 (0%)
Add it to the modification area  
  1 (100%)

Total votes: 1
« Created by: easymoney on: 02/07/24 at 14:54:42 »

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 
Send Topic Print
Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS) (Read 41217 times)
FunandFrugal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTION
Reply #2625 - 10/12/23 at 05:32:08

Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2626 - 10/12/23 at 06:15:23

I have to disagree about the flow rate between the oem and raptor petcock as long as you get the official raptor petcock. The many failure modes the oem can have one is reduced flow rate caused by the hardening of the diaphragm or incomplete shut off caused by corrosion in the valve.

If you have gas in the cylinder then it’s a bad float valve and you can help it along until you can fix it by shutting it off while the engine is off.

WWW   IP Logged
ProjectSB350
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2627 - 10/17/23 at 08:48:28

Hey Y’all my names Bryan and I have a little 07’ S40 bobber project I’m working on, it’s got some problems so I’m sure you’ll hear a lot from me soon!

IP Logged
DaveFromCanada
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2628 - 12/23/23 at 10:01:25

I got my 2000 Savage for Father's Day last spring. I spent five years looking for the available one I could afford, and 35 wanting one again. My riding season was short as the bike was not ready until late July. So far, I have mostly just taken the bike around my little neighbourhood.

the_bike.jpeg
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2629 - 12/23/23 at 11:14:55

DaveFromCanada wrote on 12/23/23 at 10:01:25:
I got my 2000 Savage for Father's Day last spring. I spent five years looking for the available one I could afford, and 35 wanting one again. My riding season was short as the bike was not ready until late July. So far, I have mostly just taken the bike around my little neighbourhood.

Howdy Dave

I got my Savage for Fathers Day 1999.  It was a “new from the crate” ‘96 model in bumble bee yellow.  My son & his wife bought it for me because he knew I really liked big singles and that since I had sold my ‘56 BSA Goldstar in the early 90’s to make house payments I needed a replacement.
Yep, he’s a good son.

IP Logged
Spavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2630 - 01/25/24 at 02:59:08

Hi,

I´m Greg from the South of Spain (Málaga)

Recently bought a Savage from 1999 that was stopped for some years and trying to make it run again.

Just changed an old Vulcan 500 from 1990 to get this one.  I like this simple and aircooled engine.  

Congrats for this forum! It´s amazing.

IP Logged
easymoney
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2631 - 02/07/24 at 14:54:42

So, I'm the FNG (Fairly New Guy).
    I am a middle-aged man and I have been middle-aged long enough to be good at it. I am married to a hot young chick, and am lucky enough to have been married to her for 54 years and counting. We have two kids, nine grandchildren, and one great-grand child.
    We retired from our own custom window blind business in Maryland a few years ago and moved to Florida.
    I have owned a KZ 750, a KZ 1000 and a Voyager xii, but have been off two wheels a few years. I just bought a somewhat bobbed 2013 S40 and a big box of parts.
    Let the party begin.

IP Logged
Bnbsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2632 - 04/10/24 at 14:53:42

hi, I'm a lover of all things motorcycle. I finally bit the bullet and bought a savage to take a cut-off wheel to. this is a great forum with a ton of info.

434967045_7524645900935320_6730458678588286524_n.jpg
  IP Logged
Michael Moore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2633 - 05/06/24 at 17:05:11

Here's my intro post:

Yesterday (05/05/24) I purchased a 1997 LS650 with 15K here in the San Francisco Bay Area.  It is pretty much OEM.  When I went over to look at it I was told "I started it a couple of days ago and now gas is leaking out of the airbox . . .".   I took a Kant-Twist clamp with me and put that on the line to the carb, and hopefully when I go back to pick it up this week I won't find a huge puddle of gas under it.  From my reading in the forum it sounds like this may be the dreaded petcock failure, so I ordered an OEM Raptor part last night.

I raced MX, trials and roadrace for 46 years before retiring from competition about 7-8 years ago.  I've owned/raced 250/350 Ducatil, 500 Matchless G80CS, BSA B50MX unit single, TT500 Yamaha, a one-off ride on a friend's DOHC Norton Garden Gate Manx, and also various Ducati and Laverda twins, Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki 2T singles and twins, small Honda 4T twins, Greeves, CZ, Maico, Bultaco and others that I've probably forgotten.  Unfortunately I got hooked on building things so with that added to the racing I never got much seat time in a year.   Grin  

I've had a Honda CTX700 DCT (being converted to a UJM/standard) and a Kawasaki 400 Ninja (the unmolested street bike that is always in running condition) these past 4+ years.  A week ago I made the mistake of looking at everything on Craigs List starting at the low $ end, curious what there might be that would make a good donor bike for some kind of project.  I saw various Suzuki 650s and with a bit of research decided they sounded interesting.  My big British singles had pretty good sized flywheels, as did my Bultaco 350 trials bike, so that aspect of the Suzuki has some appeal.  I'm only riding on the street now, and that infrequently, and I'm usually on back roads away from traffic and just puttering along at 1/2 throttle on my 400.  So making something out of the Suzuki sounds like it might be a good fit.

However, even though I remember when Easy Rider came out, I've never been attracted to choppers.  A brief ride on a pre-unit Triumph 500 twin in a mildly chopped sprung-hub frame made it clear I was having more fun on a dirt bike.   Smiley  So even though my new bike is reasonably clean/stock, there are a LOT of parts that are going to get replaced.

When I downsized all the vintage bikes/race bikes I vowed that I'd had enough of wire spoke wheels, drum brakes, tires with inner tubes and damper-rod telescopic forks, all of which are on the Savage.  I would have been happy to have bought an engine, frame and clear title but instead I've got an entire motorcycle with many parts that seem too nice to scrap so I'll probably first see if I can find someone who can make use of them (as they come off the bike).

I'm back to about page 70 in "Rubber Side Down" and I'm enjoying the technical discussion.  I've designed and built several race chassis and accumulated a good assortment of machine tools/fabrication equipment.  I started a mailing list for motorcycle chassis design topics almost 30 years ago and there are a few people from it that are also here (Armen and Srinath that I know of for sure).  I hope I'll be able to contribute some help, but there's a lot about the Savage that has already been figured out and I'll probably find more of that information as I push on past page 70 in "RSD".   Smiley

Here are links to a couple of photos of my former race bikes that are up on my website (which has north of a gigabyte of images of mostly racers, interesting classic/modern bikes, tools, etc).

Oops, I was just informed I need to make a first post before I can include links, so I'll do them after this post.

Like Bnbsavage who posted just above, parts are going to get cut off.   Grin

cheers,
Michael
San Francisco CA

IP Logged
Michael Moore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2634 - 05/06/24 at 17:05:50

Here are some of my old racebikes:

My Kenny Roberts' framed TT500 roadracer:  https://motoconstructor.com/graphics/jvkr_2.jpg

Me and my late best friend and my 750 bevel Ducati in the tech line at the AMA BOTT race at a Laguna Seca national:  https://motoconstructor.com/graphics/billmclain/BillMichaelLaguna1smallcrop.jpg

The final version of the Laverda 750 roadracer I built, this photo in the pits at Sears Point AMA national:  https://motoconstructor.com/graphics/Laverda/SF2RRphotos4ab.jpg

My modified chassis Cagiva (Ducati) 650 in the pits at an AFM event at Sears Point:  https://motoconstructor.com/graphics/Ducati/cagiva650005a4.jpg

The first racer with my own frame, a 216cc Honda twin, at a vintage national at Laguna Seca: https://motoconstructor.com/graphics/Honda/HondaCR216005a5.jpg

And I almost forgot, the LS650 I bought yesterday: https://motoconstructor.com/graphics/Suzuki/LS650%20Savage/MyLS65003.jpg

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2635 - 05/06/24 at 17:55:03

Awesome work, Michael!
Welcome aboard!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2636 - 05/06/24 at 18:07:58

Really awesome, Michael!  Welcome!

IP Logged
Michael Moore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2637 - 05/06/24 at 19:13:14

Paul and Armen, thanks for the welcome.  I've been enjoying reading the technical discussions and some of the bike builds people have posted about are pretty cool!  Most of my builds have stopped before getting to the "make it pretty" stage, and I've seen some attractive bikes here.

Once I get the LS home I'll have to fight the temptation to start taking it apart, though with 15K miles I suspect I should at minimum take a look at the cam chain tensioner.  It would be nice to actually ride it for a few minutes to see what it is like before turning it into a "safe" (that means not-running so it can't hurt anyone) motorcycle.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 09:42:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.