Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Would you be interested in a section for trikes & sidecars?

Make it a stand alone section.  
  0 (0%)
Add it to the modification area  
  1 (100%)

Total votes: 1
« Created by: easymoney on: 02/07/24 at 14:54:42 »

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 176 
Send Topic Print
Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS) (Read 41189 times)
Hazuki
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTION
Reply #2610 - 08/26/23 at 12:20:32

[color=#00ff00][/color]Hello I’m Vicki from Virginia I got a 2002 Hazuki savage ls650

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2611 - 08/26/23 at 13:45:58

Hazuki wrote on 08/26/23 at 12:20:32:
[color=#00ff00][/color]Hello I’m Vicki from Virginia I got a 2002 Hazuki savage ls650

Well Howdy Vicki.
Welcome to this pleasant and helpful place.
😎🏍

IP Logged
gcjager
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2612 - 09/18/23 at 05:11:55

Heyooo!

Wife bought me a Savage as my first bike. Previous dude bobbed it. Love this thing and I'm looking forward to speeding it up a little off the line!

IP Logged
Kelly S.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2613 - 09/28/23 at 12:34:25

Hi, I'm Kelly and a new rider/owner/mechanic-er.   Shocked

I'm a little older than most "beginners", 50+, but better late than never, right?

I have a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard S40.

Looking forward to learning a lot here!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2614 - 09/28/23 at 18:06:46

Welcome to our newer members!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Mike D T
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2615 - 09/29/23 at 20:51:16

Hi All, long time rider, new to the Savage. Just bought a 2007. Close to the end of the nice riding weather here in Toronto,  but hoping to get a few rides in before the snow flies. I've been lurking about a month. Great site with lots of information that just isn't anywhere else.
Cheers!
Mike

IP Logged
Melissa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2616 - 10/05/23 at 05:55:44

Hello, everyone. New rider here, just purchased a 1995 Savage as my first bike and looking forward to learning all about it and gaining inside from all you veterans!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2617 - 10/05/23 at 10:44:46

Welcome aboard Melissa.  You came to the right place.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2618 - 10/09/23 at 01:37:46

Hi Everyone, I'm Zoltan, hailing from Poland. Savage was always a favorite of mine and after many many years i got tired of fixing the old Jawas, CZs, and got one. Lovely machine, though i can't get used to the forward footrest, so immediately i'll set about modifying it. Great forum, already learned a lot! Thanks!

IP Logged
FunandFrugal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2619 - 10/10/23 at 10:32:05

Name’s Mark. After 30 years without a bike, I wanted to get back into riding again, but on something simple and fun.  Last week, I was fortunate to find a 2014 S40 with 1,700 miles. It sat for the last 8 years and needed some TLC.  Upon first start, it ran smoothly for about 8 seconds but subsequently died.  I drained the tank (varnished fuel) and cleaned the carburetor. I love the simplicity of this bike! However, upon reassembly, it still did not run. When I disconnected the fuel line, I saw it was bone dry.   I’m unsure how the petcock let me drain the tank but then prevented any fuel from flowing, even on prime, but it did. (The petcock’s lever was also so stiff it required plyers to move.) Regardless, I ordered new petcock from my local Suzuki shop that should arrive tomorrow. With a little luck that should fix it and I can start enjoying the bike.  Looking to forward to being part of your group.  

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #2620 - 10/10/23 at 18:14:09

Welcome!  Yes, better late than never.

Kelly S. wrote on 09/28/23 at 12:34:25:
Hi, I'm Kelly and a new rider/owner/mechanic-er.   Shocked

I'm a little older than most "beginners", 50+, but better late than never, right?

I have a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard S40.

Looking forward to learning a lot here!

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #2621 - 10/10/23 at 18:20:53

Welcome!  I got a similar bike last November (2012 with 850 miles) that sat around a lot.  In my case, there was gas in the oil.  I remember the petcock on my 2003 Savage being incredibly stiff also.  I'm sorry to hear you bought an expensive replacement stock petcock, because the design is inferior.  I'm sure the new one will last you a good long time, but consider a Yamaha Raptor petcock that's mentioned extensively on this forum.  It's manual, cheap, and ultra reliable.  It fits with no modification.  Sure, it's not vaccum, but it will never give you problems.  In fact, I suggest you return the stock Suzuki petcock and purchase a Raptor petcock for far less money Wink

FunandFrugal wrote on 10/10/23 at 10:32:05:
Name’s Mark. After 30 years without a bike, I wanted to get back into riding again, but on something simple and fun.  Last week, I was fortunate to find a 2014 S40 with 1,700 miles. It sat for the last 8 years and needed some TLC.  Upon first start, it ran smoothly for about 8 seconds but subsequently died.  I drained the tank (varnished fuel) and cleaned the carburetor. I love the simplicity of this bike! However, upon reassembly, it still did not run. When I disconnected the fuel line, I saw it was bone dry.   I’m unsure how the petcock let me drain the tank but then prevented any fuel from flowing, even on prime, but it did. (The petcock’s lever was also so stiff it required plyers to move.) Regardless, I ordered new petcock from my local Suzuki shop that should arrive tomorrow. With a little luck that should fix it and I can start enjoying the bike.  Looking to forward to being part of your group.  

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
FunandFrugal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2622 - 10/11/23 at 05:50:53

J Mac wrote on 10/10/23 at 18:20:53:
Welcome!  I got a similar bike last November (2012 with 850 miles) that sat around a lot.  In my case, there was gas in the oil.  I remember the petcock on my 2003 Savage being incredibly stiff also.  I'm sorry to hear you bought an expensive replacement stock petcock, because the design is inferior.  I'm sure the new one will last you a good long time, but consider a Yamaha Raptor petcock that's mentioned extensively on this forum.  It's manual, cheap, and ultra reliable.  It fits with no modification.  Sure, it's not vaccum, but it will never give you problems.  In fact, I suggest you return the stock Suzuki petcock and purchase a Raptor petcock for far less money Wink

I appreciate your advice about the Yamaha Raptor petcock. I’ve not yet purchased my OEM petcock. I see the Raptor petcock is about $50 less.  
If I may ask a few quick questions about the Raptor petcock:

1. If it remains in the ON position when the engine is not running, will gravity still cause fuel to flow into the carburetor?  

2. To put this into very simple terms, each time I turn off my bike, I must turn the petcock to the off position, right?  Otherwise fuel will continue to flow, fill the carburetor, flow out of the carburetor into the cylinder and ultimately leak past the piston rings into the oil, right?  Not a problem, I just want to fully understand.  Of course, each time I start my bike, I must manually turn the petcock from the off position to the on position to allow fuel to flow out of the petcock into the carb, right?

3. With the OEM petcock, once the bike is running and the vacuum opens the OEM’s petcock’s internal valve, it permits the same “gravity” flow as the Raptor’s petcock, right? Any difference in flow rate?

4. The only benefit to the OEM petcock seems to be convenience.   I can permanently leave the petcock set to the ON position and know that it “closes” when I turn off the engine.  

5. Am I getting this straight?  I think I like the idea of the Raptor’s petcock for its simplicity.  

IP Logged
FunandFrugal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2623 - 10/11/23 at 13:18:56

As a follow up, I did some other reading on the subject and decided to cancel the OEM petcock purchase and ordered the petcock for a Yamaha Raptor 660, #24500-01-00.  I appreciate the advice and I'm already thankful to be on this forum.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2624 - 10/12/23 at 03:38:48

FunandFrugal wrote on 10/11/23 at 05:50:53:
J Mac wrote on 10/10/23 at 18:20:53:

I appreciate your advice about the Yamaha Raptor petcock. I’ve not yet purchased my OEM petcock. I see the Raptor petcock is about $50 less.  
If I may ask a few quick questions about the Raptor petcock:

1. If it remains in the ON position when the engine is not running, will gravity still cause fuel to flow into the carburetor?  

2. To put this into very simple terms, each time I turn off my bike, I must turn the petcock to the off position, right?  Otherwise fuel will continue to flow, fill the carburetor, flow out of the carburetor into the cylinder and ultimately leak past the piston rings into the oil, right?  Not a problem, I just want to fully understand.  Of course, each time I start my bike, I must manually turn the petcock from the off position to the on position to allow fuel to flow out of the petcock into the carb, right?

3. With the OEM petcock, once the bike is running and the vacuum opens the OEM’s petcock’s internal valve, it permits the same “gravity” flow as the Raptor’s petcock, right? Any difference in flow rate?

4. The only benefit to the OEM petcock seems to be convenience.   I can permanently leave the petcock set to the ON position and know that it “closes” when I turn off the engine.  

5. Am I getting this straight?  I think I like the idea of the Raptor’s petcock for its simplicity.  

You do NOT need to turn the Raptor petcock to OFF every time you stop the bike.  I usually turn mine off when I am done riding for the day.  There is a valve inside the bowl of the carb (the float valve) that shuts off the gas when the bowl is full.
The petcock's main purpose is go provide a reserve when you get low on fuel.  The Raptor OFF is just a safety/backup to the float valve.
The flow rate will be LESS on the OEM petcock.. as it varies with the vacuum (RPM).. but not by enough to care about.
The main reason people use the Raptor is because the OEM can fail and draw gas through the vacuum line into the carb.. and that is when you get the "gas in the cylinder" symptom.
The Raptor petcock is also smaller, which makes taking the gas tank off easier.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 176 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 23:13:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.