Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
To seal or not to seal L/H CCC (Read 7 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
To seal or not to seal L/H CCC
04/10/07 at 15:57:28

About to button up the Left Hand (L/H) CrankCase Cover (CCC), from doing a magneto and pickup coil remove and replace. The Clymer's manual doesn't mention using any sealant on the gasket; but I'm considering wiping on a thin layer of RTV (heat resistant silicone sealant) on both sides of the gasket, and also sealing around the rubber grommett where the ignition and charging wires run in/out.

I know not to use anything that sets up hard, as the old gasket was hard enough to scrape off without fighting a hard sealer (the factory didn't appear to use any.

The amount of oil left in the side case after draining caught me by surprise, and made a pretty good mess when I pulled it! Oh well, that's what they make oil dry for... Lucky I had half a bag on hand. Wink

I'd really appreciate any experienced advice/opinions on this before I button it up.  

TIA,
John

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: To seal or not to seal L/H CCC
Reply #1 - 04/10/07 at 17:19:20

Oh, BTW... Here was the problem:

Note the meter reading the connector to the ignition pickup coil at 1.619M ohm. Normal reading should be more like 200-240 ohms like this one from the salvage:

Which is reading 213.2 ohms.

Hope that's all it takes to fix the bike. I'm anxious to take it for a test ride!!! 8) Grin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 04/10/07 at 18:22:39

you may have already applied some stick'um to the gasket - but I sure don't think I would -

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 04/10/07 at 22:52:44

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
you may have already applied some stick'um to the gasket - but I sure don't think I would -

Nope, nothing applied to it yet. I discovered my old supply of Loctite is dried out. So I can't continue re-assembly tonight anyways. The Loctite was the wrong type for the stator capscrews anyways. We used the stuff that was far too strong for light materials in Japanese motorcycles. Made for permanent assembly. I need to buy some of the weak stuff that you can get back apart later. So... I'm quickly reaching the point where I can do no more until the auto parts stores open tomorrow.

However, I do think I'll apply something around the rubber grommett that the wires go through. Maybe not the rest of the gasket, as it has a good clean surface and should be okay.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 04/11/07 at 00:04:15

need to use the blue loctite - man that red stuff takes a torch to get lose

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 04/11/07 at 06:47:38

No need for sticky stuff if there's a gasket. You may off-course put some around the rubber grommet, just to make sure.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 04/11/07 at 07:38:33

The new Loctite sticks are great; a lot less mess.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 04/11/07 at 09:05:11

And the new gel version is better yet as it allows just the needed drop. FYI there is a green version that you can put on after assembly that uses capillary action to go in the threads, handy when you have an oops. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 04/12/07 at 00:24:17

No real progress today on re-assembly. By the time I stopped at the auto parts store for thread lock, and shopped me a new inch/pound torque wrench, I only had a bit of time to actually work on the bike. I did pick up a dandy little roll-around work seat while crusing the tool stores.

My butt was getting real tired of that 5 gallon bucket and piece of foam rubber.

Then what little time I did have was taken up by having to remove the battery box and route wires. When I disassembled I pulled 'fishing' wires through with the old wires I pulled out; in hopes of pulling the new wires back through with the 'fish' wires. The white 'fish' wires can be seen in the picture above. It didn't work. The gap between the battery box and air box was too narrow to pull the molex connectors back through.

So... out comes the battery box. Now the wires are back in place, I can start re-assembly tomorrow (If I get the time). Takes me forever on a couple hour project because of constant interuptions, and breaks  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 04:59:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To seal or not to seal L/H CCC

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.