Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Cam chain replacing instructions, (Read 777 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Cam chain replacing instructions,
03/07/07 at 14:05:28

I know they are here & there must be adozen threads on it. I would like it quite a bit if someone could point me to the most clear & concise instructions. The Suzuki Shp manual just says, replace it if it's worn. Uh huhh,, I need step by step instructions,,

Oh, btw, while I had the pipe off the thing I added 6 baffles to the 8 already in the Supertrapp. I was expecting a loud racket, but No, sounds mellow & the Downlow is a bit stouter.
Topped out at 85 tho. I am ordering a pilot jet tonight. gonna stick a 50 in it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Cam chain replacing instructions,
Reply #1 - 03/07/07 at 14:37:17

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I know they are here & there must be adozen threads on it. I would like it quite a bit if someone could point me to the most clear & concise instructions. The Suzuki Shp manual just says, replace it if it's worn. Uh huhh,, I need step by step instructions,,

Oh, btw, while I had the pipe off the thing I added 6 baffles to the 8 already in the Supertrapp. I was expecting a loud racket, but No, sounds mellow & the Downlow is a bit stouter.
Topped out at 85 tho. I am ordering a pilot jet tonight. gonna stick a 50 in it.  

Not to dodge your question, but if you have the SSM, it incorporates the chain replacement into the whole teardown of the engine.  As such that means that you reassemble it in the reverse order of the teardown using the checks, settings and tolerances as you go.

I can give you a step by step if you want, but if you really want to learn how to do it, then you only have to follow the teardown steps and then you'll know.

If you do it that way, maybe ask a question if you're stumped, then you'll actually learn how, much better.

Here's a hint...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 03/07/07 at 14:38:58

Oh yeah, my spouse's Trapp with 14 disks sounds good and has a nice low end grunt too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/07/07 at 20:31:27

Wow, I was looking for a section strictly addressing the cam chain.  Is there a simple way to solve the holding the  "Clutch sleeve hub nut" page 3-12 second pic down? My first thought would be to stick the end of a belt between the gear teeth to bind it up would work?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 03/07/07 at 20:54:00

Wow, I was looking for a section strictly addressing the cam chain.  Is there a simple way to solve the holding the  "Clutch sleeve hub nut" page 3-12 second pic down? My first thought would be to stick the end of a belt between the gear teeth to bind it up would work?

You'd be surprised how those bevel gears will chew things up.  That belt will just squish right out.  Got a penny, piece of brass or aluminum (that's what I used a couple weeks ago).

The bad part is that you can't get the primary drive gear off without removing the primary driven gear first.  The gear won't go past the clutch basket.  The clutch has to come off first...and there is a trick to the clutch (actually, a special tool, but I get around that).  2 pairs of vise grips, a pipe, a 32 mm socket and breaker bar are my special tool Grin

Be careful that you don't break any clutch parts if you go to rigging something, but once you loosen the clutch nut, you still gotta use the clutch gear (and penny) to remove the primary gear...unless you want to open the other side and hold the crankshaft Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 03/07/07 at 21:17:47

Oh yeah...I logged out but I came back just for this question. Tongue

Do you know which way the primary drive nut turns?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 03/07/07 at 21:30:53

As Max said in a previous post on this topic, a good air wrench set to remove will crack the crank gear into about 6 pieces and have you spent time and meney to insure the primary drive gear is still OK. It is left hand thread !! to loosen and a couple pennies between the primary gear and clutch gear will jam them enough w/o damage to let you get the nut loose or retorque it, NO AIR WRENCH THIS TIME. torque wrench only please.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 03/07/07 at 21:34:34

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
As Max said in a previous post on this topic, a good air wrench set to remove will crack the crank gear into about 6 pieces and have you spent time and meney to insure the primary drive gear is still OK. It is left hand thread !! to loosen and a couple pennies between the primary gear and clutch gear will jam them enough w/o damage to let you get the nut loose or retorque it, NO AIR WRENCH THIS TIME. torque wrench only please.  

Hey there Max.  We must be the last ones up Smiley

I think you just said about the same thing I did above, but some of us ain't so fancy with all them air powered tools like you Tongue

I guess you can tell......

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/07/07 at 21:59:39

Thanks for the heads up on the impact. I don't see what's wrong with doing that, as long as it's set to tighten a regular nut, this one should come on off. I saw it's left hand thread.
I don't see me pulling the other cover & holding the crank, since my arms aren't all that long & I don't expect to pull the engine. I think I can find 2 pennies. I will turn them over to reassemble. I guess I better get a torque wrench. My 1/2 inch Proto is just too big & clunky for bike work. A 3/8ths el cheapo bar style or a no kidding click type?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/07/07 at 22:37:30

What about splitting the chain at the top (keeping the chain engaged with the gear) splicing in the new chain and slowly turning the engine to pull the chain all the way through?

You'd have to pull the cover to back off the tensioner, but it would save you from taking every thing apart.

2 people could pull this off and save alot of time.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 03/08/07 at 04:54:35

Thanks for the heads up on the impact. I don't see what's wrong with doing that, as long as it's set to tighten a regular nut, this one should come on off. I saw it's left hand thread.
I don't see me pulling the other cover & holding the crank, since my arms aren't all that long & I don't expect to pull the engine. I think I can find 2 pennies. I will turn them over to reassemble. I guess I better get a torque wrench. My 1/2 inch Proto is just too big & clunky for bike work. A 3/8ths el cheapo bar style or a no kidding click type?

Be sure to use the torque wrench on the release plate bolts when you put the clutch back together, too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 03/08/07 at 04:55:57

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
What about splitting the chain at the top (keeping the chain engaged with the gear) splicing in the new chain and slowly turning the engine to pull the chain all the way through?

You'd have to pull the cover to back off the tensioner, but it would save you from taking every thing apart.

2 people could pull this off and save alot of time.   Grin

What a concept.  I like it.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #12 - 03/08/07 at 10:05:34

Except where are you going to find a master link for that small size chain and do you really want a master link (the weak point) in a cam drive chain? See Greg's pics of the valve head on the top of the piston. 2nd how are you going to peen over the rivet you cut the head off and pushed out when to open the new chain ! Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 03/08/07 at 10:42:10

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Except where are you going to find a master link for that small size chain and do you really want a master link (the weak point) in a cam drive chain? See Greg's pics of the valve head on the top of the piston. 2nd how are you going to peen over the rivet you cut the head off and pushed out when to open the new chain ! Max

Details, details....it's the thought that counts Tongue

Just think of it, when the chain stretches, you just take out a link and then put in a half link.  Good to go.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/08/07 at 11:23:55

I would like to get some liquid nitrogen & give the chain about a week long bath & see how that affects the service life.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:18:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain replacing instructions,

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.