Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Killer Pothole (Read 131 times)
clairm
YaBB Newbies

Draper, Utah
Killer Pothole
06/13/08 at 09:42:03

Well, my Friday the 13th started out with a BANG. I was driving to work on my usual 13 mile commute, on what is always the worst part of the drive because the road is in such bad shape, with deep parallel ruts in the road surface. They have finally started working on it, but only appear to be burying pipes along the shoulder while the surface gets worse by the day. They have all the traffic down to one lane in each direction. As I come down a fairly steep hill and start decelerating, probably 35 MPH tops, I see a hole probably 8 inches deep most of the way across the road. I think about trying to miss it, but don't want to risk it with all the loose rocks from construction. I hit it square in the middle. The impact is so hard I'm almost bucked off.  I immediately hear scraping from the bike and I assumed that at least one of the tires is destroyed. I manage to pull into a parking lot where I notice that BOTH mirrors are swinging loose from the impact. The tires seem OK, but the rear belt pulley is scraping the guard on every revolution of the rear wheel. I'm afraid the frame or something else may be bent.

So, what is my most likely damage from an impact like this?

Who is legally liable for road conditions? When I called the DOT they said that they had just gotten another call on that exact spot, so it isn't just me. My back and shoulders feel like I've been lifting heavy objects all day.

What a great way to start a Friday!!!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Killer Pothole
Reply #1 - 06/13/08 at 09:51:54

Is it a county, state, or city road?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
clairm
YaBB Newbies

Draper, Utah
Reply #2 - 06/13/08 at 10:01:24

When I look at Google Maps it's calling it SR-210, so I guess it's a state road. I just got a call back from UDOT and they say that the people doing the construction (Qwest) are liable. They also gave me contact info for the sub-contractor, and sub-sub-contractor actually doing the work.

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #3 - 06/13/08 at 10:28:25

I had a similar experience with bridge work in Massachusetts in my car. I blew out a tire and really messed up a rim. I found out that state law limits liability in marked construction zones. Basically, you accept the increased risk of damage when you drive in such areas. Hopefully that's not the case where you are!

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
clairm
YaBB Newbies

Draper, Utah
Reply #4 - 06/13/08 at 10:47:55

So, the belt guard is scraping the back pulley. How much damage has been done to my bike?

IP Logged
clairm
YaBB Newbies

Draper, Utah
Reply #5 - 06/13/08 at 13:04:00

I went down and looked it over at lunch. It looks like the frame where the saddle bag supports attach slammed down on the belt guard so hard that the bracket bent inwards. With a little help from a crowbar it should be drivable again. Hopefully there's no other damage.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #6 - 06/13/08 at 18:55:25

i know of people that have had tires replaced by the state for road hazzards. in wv that is.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/15/24 at 22:45:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Killer Pothole

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.