Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
In the nick of time (Read 185 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: In the nick of time
Reply #30 - 02/19/07 at 05:43:31

I'm thinking that the rear guide doesn't wear so much yet it ages & flexes, and so the tensioner creeps foreward ahead of the chains schedule.

how to measure flexibility of a new vs old rear guide ?

what about a slightly weaker tensioner spring ?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #31 - 02/19/07 at 05:50:15

I thought that you already bought new parts, sorry.
Reading the previous threads replacing the chain brought the tensioner out by 8 mm.
I examined the guide that came of my engine and there was( after close examination ) just an indentation near the bottom of less than .5 mm and then tensioner put by 18mm.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 02/19/07 at 08:34:56

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I'm thinking that the rear guide doesn't wear so much yet it ages & flexes, and so the tensioner creeps foreward ahead of the chains schedule.

I had to think about that one for a second...

Try this.  First imagine the 2 points where the tensioner is contacting the chain and where the chain first contacts the gear.  Then draw a straight line between those 2 points.  

The chain will also follow that straight line between those points and I don't think that flex will matter in the upper part of the guide.

The upper part of my rear guide shows NO wear too.

(more below...)

Quote:
how to measure flexibility of a new vs old rear guide ?

I believe the above applies here.  I'll have the front guide out today to check

Quote:
what about a slightly weaker tensioner spring ?

The spring is a thought...

Certainly as the spring extends, it will exert a less and less pressure on the guide, BUT you have to remember the ratchet stop mechanism in the tensioner.  

Every couple millimeters the stop gets locked into a groove in the moving piston.  The piston cannot move backwards, it becomes rigid at each increment, and essentially there is no additional inward pressure on the spring.  

The spring doesn't "bounce" in and out, if you know what I mean.

So, unless the spring becomes too weak to push the tensioner out, the "locked" tensioner will maintain that straight line that I mentioned above.  There should be very little slack in the chain.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 02/19/07 at 09:07:20

Here, try this....I tried to make a graphic that shows how I think the cam chain system is supposed to work.  To me, it seems that as long as the spring exerts the correct pressure, then wear on the guides or a stretched chain are the only things to worry about.

You have to remember that the guides do not contact the chain all the way up to the cam gear.  They are closest at the bottom.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 02/19/07 at 09:41:28

As the chain goes around the gear, the centrifical force will pull it outward so that when the chain leaves the gear it will whip out.  The guides and tensioner prevent that by keeping the slack out.  
I think the rachet mechanism is there to prevent sudden surges from getting out of control.  
And the spring has to be strong enough to overcome friction.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #35 - 02/19/07 at 10:00:09

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
As the goes around the gear, the centrifical force will pull it outward so that when the chain leaves the gear it will whip out.  The guides and tensioner prevent that by keeping the slack out.  
I think the rachet mechanism is there to prevent sudden surges from getting out of control.  
And the spring has to be strong enough to overcome friction.

The chain stretches from those forces and surges, as the slack increases, the spring adjusts the tensioner.  Simple.  It's a gradual thing.

As long as everything it in good shape, it never has more than a certain amount of slack....until you have an "in the nick of time" situation where it goes too far.

The spring is well oiled, too.  Mine was anyway.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 02/19/07 at 21:07:28

Well, well, well...

By the Suzuki Service Manual, the cam chain limit is 5.07" over 20 links or to the outside of 21 Pins.

It is supposed to be stretched tight, and measured with calipers, but even with my Craftsman scale it is about .050" over limit.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #37 - 02/20/07 at 03:18:09

Measure again, now with the vernier points and 21 pins center to center. If still over 5.07" ,  replace the chain.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 02/20/07 at 05:01:43

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Measure again, now with the vernier points and 21 pins center to center. If still over 5.07" ,  replace the chain.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Trust me, I was a machinist for 12 years so my reading a scale is accurate.  Even these days, I can read it within a 1/32 (> 1 mm)

I used the scale as an illustration, because I couldn't get a clear shot of the dial AND the chain.  Unfortunately the image size is reduced in the post.  You can see the full image here.

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/?action=view&current=CamChain...

Do you have the SSM?  I wonder because that's not the way that I interpret those brief instructions.  There is a picture that seems to show "outside to outside", not center to center (or front edge to front edge, whatever).

What is the measure on a new one?  I wish I had a friend at the dealership.

Granted, I don't want to replace the chain, but then if I'm just splitting hairs and the chain is almost out of limit, then I don't want to close it back up that way.

What do ya think?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #39 - 02/20/07 at 05:31:30

No offence, I trust your experience.

My interpretation of the brief description in the SSM ( at my fingertips) is to measure 21 pins center-to-center.
Steveh did the measurment on the new chain and that came out at 5.00" ( 127mm)
See
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Read in the German forum that a new chain was installed and the extension of the tensioner went from 18mm out to 9mm.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 02/20/07 at 05:49:00

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
No offence, I trust your experience.

My interpretation of the brief description in the SSM ( at my fingertips) is to measure 21 pins center-to-center.
Steveh did the measurment on the new chain and that came out at 5.00" ( 127mm)
See
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Read in the German forum that a new chain was installed and the extension of the tensioner went from 18mm out to 9mm.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Gee, how'd I miss this topic?

Anyway, I'll do a reread and a recheck today (get a magnifier and study the picture too) Smiley

So you're saying the .070" or >2 mm will change the adjuster 9 mm?

Hmmm.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 02/20/07 at 09:48:48

Kropatchek, how about this?

I went back and looked at the manual again.  I had to scan the page at 600 dpi to get close enough.

Here are the specs...simple enough, or so I thought Tongue

And here is the picture of the calipers on the chain.

And here I've drawn a line through the centers of the pins.  Then I put arrows on the edges of the caliper jaws.

I agree that "measure of pitch" is usually "center to center".  So do we go by that implied measurement?

Or do we go by a crappy picture?

The difference is the diameter of a pin.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #42 - 02/20/07 at 18:11:31

Greg,
You should put this in the tech section. I've been following this thread. Now that I've seen most of it through the pictures, I know what to look for.
Thanks! Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 02/20/07 at 18:32:03

I do this with digital calipers all the time:

For center to center distance; measure one pin, press the zero button on the caliper.  Now any measurement accrossed like pins will be center to center.

Just remember to re-zero before making a different type of measurement or you'll be off by one pin.  Kinda sucks to get negive numbers.  Grin

I suppose you could do the same with a dial, but the bigger the pin the more tricky.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #44 - 02/20/07 at 20:26:08

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I do this with digital calipers all the time:

For center to center distance; measure one pin, press the zero button on the caliper.  Now any measurement accrossed like pins will be center to center.

Just remember to re-zero before making a different type of measurement or you'll be off by one pin.  Kinda sucks to get negive numbers.  Grin

I suppose you could do the same with a dial, but the bigger the pin the more tricky.

As I mentioned above, I'm fairly familiar with calipers, I just used the scale because I wanted to illustrate the measurement...I couldn't get the dial in the shot.

Besides, you're cheatin'.  My first calipers weren't digital Tongue

But I think that I found another issue that's even better.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 00:31:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › In the nick of time

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.