Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Extending the life of the camchain (Read 791 times)
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Extending the life of the camchain
01/16/07 at 06:01:44

Have found a new description of the camchain tensioner system.
Have a look at the pictures.

http://www.ls-650.de/community/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168393837;start=all
It's a cheaper version of the one described before.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Works together with a modified tensioner that cannot separate at the end of its stroke. The little plunger prevents the piston of the tensioner to leave the housing. This will be the moment to open the cover and reposition the tensioner to its starting position e.g. fully in.
Noticed camchain life betwween 9000 and 25000 Miles, or at least the tensioner was out for more than 18 mm.
What do you think of this invention?

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin Grin

Note: Reading more of the conversation in the forum.
You can copy the brackets, but there's a very important part missing without that there will be engine damage.

Wonder what that is, havn't got a clue yet.

Anybody? ?

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Extending the life of the camchain
Reply #1 - 01/16/07 at 06:09:39

excellent pics! i cant read/dont understand german, but a picture is worth 1000 words in any language.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 01/16/07 at 06:33:29

I ran the text from the primary post through Babelfish and got the following.  It's not perfect but it's usable.

Quote:
mean open-loop system tension adjusters TBKS3 I already presented. http://www.ls-650.de/community/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1165368220 here now the simpler and more favorable variant, the standard version. it is up to the tension adjuster head the original kettenspanner is re-used identically to the TBKS3 here. the principle is actually completely clear, the two spannschienen in the crankshaft housing to existing threads is fastened and the slotted hole to the beginning placed. the original suzuki kettenspanner performs thereby its completely normal according to function approx.. 10,000 - for 15,000 km one should open the engine cover and look after as far the tension adjuster from its guidance stands out is this at the wear limit down by the slotted hole simply readjusted to the kettenspanner again in its original situation stands. the original suzuki tension adjusters has again his whole available away. the advantage thereby is not that of the original tension adjusters with regular maintenance oval deflects and keeps thus eternal. now some will ask themselves which at all for financial predivide brings? completely clear after thing approx.. 20,000 km should the open-loop system be exchanged, price chains approximately 105,00? plus wages if one it to make cannot. in addition the cylinder head cover must be removed each time, the cam shaft and different one divides must raus. from own experience can I say which one the head cover not repeatedly to open is than absolutely necessarily. here simply the engine cover is opened and placed behind, the open-loop system haellt with this system at least (ever after driving fashion) between 50,000 - 70,000 km!!! now everyone can figure the advantage out auerdem is void an again purchase of the original kettenspanners. the spannschienen are made of high-quality high-grade steel laser-cut and absolutely properly matching them a security characteristic (in the following photos not evidently) thereby by possibly high forces to seem oneself in the slotted hole move could not (completely importantly) the disadvantage opposite the TBKS3 is that the forces by the spannschienen to be still caught must and this faster wear, in addition the open-loop system wears fast in addition, hereby can one the open-loop system substantially longer drive than with the original kettenspanner. by the way if were placed behind cannot the open-loop system any longer jump over! the price amounts to 146,00? inclusive attachments, guidance and seal. can to the TBKS3 be rigged at any time the installation lasts depending upon ability between and two to grant. also of this tension adjuster system I let make only 15 pieces thereafter am definitely conclusion, I want to also still repair and in addition am the system a certain exclusivity to possess.

Below are the images used in the original post.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #3 - 01/16/07 at 08:11:57

German engineering at its finest.

I wonder if there are any drawbacks to this?

Ken

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/16/07 at 08:55:13

Does 'guide' mean instructions?
And does seal mean the case gasket?

It would be nice to have some marks near the slot so that you tell how much life is left in the chain.
Perhaps a mark with a new chain and a mark with a chain at max wear.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 01/16/07 at 08:56:12

Interesting solution, move the OE pivot pin to an adjustable plate. Disadvantage, the cam will run even more retarded that it would w/o the system, to some extent effecting performance.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/16/07 at 10:35:47

I can see what the outermost plate does. I don't see what the one in close to the engine does. Looks to me like just the outter plate with the adj. slot would be all a guy needed. Unless the other somehow braces it. Maybe helping with twisting forces? I don't see how, just a wild guess.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 01/16/07 at 17:19:44

I see the back plate use as a flat surface for the top one to move fore and aft smoothly. Thus provides a consistent movement for the piston. Just my thought!

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #8 - 01/16/07 at 18:38:53

Maybe there's some kind of a spring between the two plates that allows for easy tensioner adjustment from outside the engine without having to remove the cover?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/16/07 at 19:46:29

I am seeing something a fellow could do in his garage.I am startin to think the inner plate is a spacer to bring the other plate out to line the tensioner up with the chain. I don't see any hooks for springs.The only thing I can envisoin would be a protrusion with a head on it(on backside of front piece) running in a curved slot ( slot in the inner piece) to keep the top of the outter piece(where the rtensioner mounts) from moving away from the case. BUT, I don't see stresses that would cause that, so why solve that problem? Anyone see pressures where the tensioner mounts that are so severe they need braced?Looks to me like the outermost end of the tensioner rides on the "skid" the chain rides against. That would keep the putermost end of the tensioner from moving towards the engine in response to the pressure the tensioner is putting on the chain that is between the mount point on the steel adjuster brace & the engine, which would tend to twist the steel adjuster brace now mounting the tensioner. SO, I really can't see a reason for the inner brace except to space the outter one. Sure might find the reason for it if I try to build it myself, tho,,   Wink I haven't been in there so maybe it will look more reasonable when I get there.  THANKS for the pictures,, sure looks like a good idea. I am not able to see how the adjustment is made w/o pulling the case side off yet. Anyone else have a clue?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #10 - 01/17/07 at 01:12:25

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Does 'guide' mean instructions?
And does seal mean the case gasket?

Guide = (Installation) Instructions
Seal = (case ) gasket

Improving my German to English translation every day.

Greetings
Kropatchek Grin

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #11 - 01/17/07 at 05:44:15

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I can see what the outermost plate does. I don't see what the one in close to the engine does. Looks to me like just the outter plate with the adj. slot would be all a guy needed. Unless the other somehow braces it. Maybe helping with twisting forces? I don't see how, just a wild guess.

The inner plate is'nt there just for fun. You can shim the outer plate with washers to bring the plate in line with the tensioner plane.

Greetz
Kropatchek ???

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #12 - 01/17/07 at 15:35:15

I think that there has to be a spring of some type in between the two plates. IF not then the spring that is in the tensioner would just push the plunger out when you released the allen bolt to tighten it up. the spring would have to have forward tension just enough to overcome the tendency of the plunger spring to push the whole apparatus backwards. Make sense????

JUst a thought.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #13 - 01/18/07 at 08:13:05

Norbert ( the German inventer) revealed some more info

Here's a picture of the Standard kit

Note the tensioner has been modified so the piston cannot escape the cylinder at the end of it's travel.
This layout can NOT be adjusted from the outside of the engine.
The casing has to be opened between 10 and 15000 miles and the tensioner brought to it's starting position e.g. fully in and the plate with the elongated hole moved.
Btw: He's asking 149 Euros for the kit

Hope this will brighten up the discussion.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #14 - 01/18/07 at 08:29:21

This is a schematic of the system that's supposedly adjustable from the outside of the engine.

The OEM rensioner is substituted by a kind of schockdamper with a travel of about 3mm, hence the system has to be adjusted manualy every 3000 KM accoording Norbert

Or in reallity

Note with the picture: chainlife >30,000KM and adjustment travel halfway.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 18:48:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Extending the life of the camchain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.