aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Oil type???
Reply #15 - 12/05/06 at 19:20:20

bholly12 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Doh!  Shocked

How's the cam chain repair going?

it looks alot like a rear brake repair on her harley. i got the new hose tonight and put it back on the road. the suzuki cam chain will have to wait until the new year.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #16 - 12/05/06 at 19:34:31

Well since there are so many opinions here already I'll add my own. Obviously any oil is better than none. And since running vegetable oil makes "Thing" smell like french fries I use regular old garden variety 10-40. No need to be brand specific, it don't matter. Oil is oil is oil. It all has to meet the same standards to be sold as a certain weight. The only thing to watch for is additives that will affect clutch performance.

Now that we are talking about one of the only two things that will bring good friends and bikers to battle, let's open the other.....Helmet laws. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/05/06 at 20:09:29

STEELWolf,,

What kind of additives are not okay? I would really like to be dumping a regular 10-40 in it. I am running a 20-40 now & the slight leak where the clutch actuator sropped.. seeps a bit with the 10-40.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #18 - 12/05/06 at 20:12:42

Just one more thing before we open up the helmet debate. Air cooled motors run much hotter than water cooled ones. That is the reason most bike manufacturers and bike mags tell you not to run car oils. I know it stinks when you fracture a hose  or such disasters happen and your not in front of a bike shop. I have always put in the best oil and closest viscosity car oil in to get me home. Once I get there it's oil change time ,and back to  a good motorcycle oil. With the low capacity of the savage oil system it would be something to think about. I know a lot of you have had no problem for a lot of miles, which tells me the motor is very fogiving. I guess I just like to play it safe

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #19 - 12/05/06 at 20:54:13

Justin_o_guy, you want to stay away from things like teflon, and other friction reducers that are added to the oil. They work wonders on the engine but they make the clutch plates slicker as well. Slick clutch = slipping clutch.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 12/05/06 at 20:57:44

Thanks, but th only oil I can find has teflon in it, I guess I'll just have to add a pinch of sand....  Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 12/06/06 at 05:19:20

geo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
The only 2 true synthetics available are Mobil 1 and Amsoil.

You might try looking at Maxum4 Extra sometime.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #22 - 12/06/06 at 05:58:54

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Now that we are talking about one of the only two things that will bring good friends and bikers to battle, let's open the other.....Helmet laws. Grin

i got no problem with helmet laws, i wear one by choice, even in states that do not require it.  

as for those who don't, hey whatever floats your boat.

but just don't try to tell me it restricts vision, if so why do racers all wear them. a quality helmet that fits properly allows for full vision. you may have to move your head a little to see speedometer, no big deal, who pays attention to that anyway.  Roll Eyes

but they reduce my hearing. a helmet cuts out most of the  external noise, and that loud muffler covers up more than any helmet would.

it's to hot.  i'm sure that's what dale jr says after a five hundered mile race.  yet he still wears one.

i don't like helmet hair.  booo hooo   hooo.   Grin

yes it's a personal choice, and it's also one of the many laws you must obey on a daily basis. riding/driving is a privledge not a right.

really don't want to wear one, don't, it's called civil disobiedience, just pay the fine.

i now turn over the soap box.  next.  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #23 - 12/06/06 at 06:16:03

not required here and I'll make a few "beer runs" (about half a mile) without but in general there are just to many flying objects, bugs, rocks and otherwise to not wear one very much - but we don't need no stinking nanny laws that require them.

Next.....

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #24 - 12/06/06 at 15:51:49

Sluggo, we love you man. Helmets are required here and that's fine by me. I where my FF everywhere I go. Myrtle Beach SC. dead of summer and still got on my lid.

This face is just too pretty to have gravel and grass sticking out of it. Grin  Besides, if I run from the LEOs I can ditch the lid with the bike and walk home unknown. Wink

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 12/06/06 at 22:47:59

surprised such a contentious subject as helmet laws could have been allowed to crop up on here (not saying there is censorship, but it is a thorny argument to many).

I don't like unecessary laws, laws for their own sake nor most laws for how they can curtail our ability to live our lives as we chose them.

however, just as with seatbelts, I believe helmets do save injury and people should wear them too, if only, to take up less hospital beds and cause less of a drain on the health system. statistics have shown with regard to several states - fatal head injuries increased when helmet laws were repealed.

as people chose not to wear them, I see no other than choice than to have helmet laws across all states & not just some.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 12/07/06 at 04:35:02

I am not in favor of riding without a helmet. Makes me cringe when I see half naked riders. I am even less in favor of "Nanny State" laws. Riding a bike or driving a car is a right, not a priveledge.( I can hear the howls now, but that's correct & the Supreme Court has ruled no drivers license is required for travel, only for commercial use of the road.) How I choose to engage in free travel is my business. Big brother watching over me as I go about my business is not necessary. I choose to wear a helmet. In a car I geberally choose to wear a seat belt. That is a law that needs repealed.

IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 12/07/06 at 16:15:03

Well, I've only been riding for a year, but I'll put my two cents in. I like riding without a helmet in the summer time. It feels great, and there's not helmet laws here, though I wear goggles to keep the dust/stones out of my eyes. I like having the choice of whether or not to wear a helmet, but I also believe we Should have mandatory helmet laws.

Not trying to knock all the female bikers out there (well, maybe, in a manner of speaking), but motorcycle riding is a very masculine thing. It's lifestyle where, no matter what laws you have, someone is always going to be more daring and more free, or just look more daring and more free by riding faster, and harder, and without a helmet. Because men are idiots (yes, me too), without helmet laws, there's going to be a lot of guys on the street not wearing helmets, not because of a lifestyle choice, or because they can't hear, but because they're idiots, like me. On the other hand, if you have helmet laws, then everyone bitches and moans about it, and riding is a little bit less fun, but people like me are forced to wear helmets and there's fewer dead bikers. There'll still be people riding without, but at least more people will be safer.

That's my two cents. Oh, and I asked this noob question before, but is there any benefit to filling my savage with high octane?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #28 - 12/07/06 at 18:29:05

no.  in fact, there's only increased expense.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #29 - 12/07/06 at 18:54:37

And as for the oil debate...in general I'll take a bye, but I'll throw this in.  I ran Amsoil 10-30 in my 1-ton van.  60,000 miles without an oil change.  The only reason I changed it was to swap out the plenum plate for an aluminum vs. steel.  Had a professional mechanic (buddy) help me out, and when he saw how squeeky clean the engine was, he asked if it was new.  I told him it had 103,000 miles at the time and went with the same oil since about 40000.  Since he knows me personally he knew I wasn't pulling his leg.  Bottom line: he wanted to switch to Amsoil.  That's why I run it in EVERYTHING.

(Wanted to leave the helmet law debate Grin)

next...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 05:50:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil type???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.