Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Installing a Headlight Relay (Read 262 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Installing a Headlight Relay
07/29/06 at 16:35:04

There has been some intrest shown in how to reduce the load on the battery while starting a Savage. One way is to install a relay that shuts off the headlight while the starter is cranking the engine. Seems that Suzuki has just added this feature to the 2007 model. I added a cutoff relay two years ago to my '02 and here is how I did it.
 First you need a basic understanding of how relays work, they are just electrical switches (contacts) controlled by an electromagnet. They come with different contact configurations that can have the contacts open (switch off) or closed (switch on) when power is applied to the control electromagnet. The contacts are also rated according to how much power they can handle.
  For the mod I used a mico-relay purchased at Radio Shack. I used a double pole (DP) double throw (DT) relay with the contacts rated at 15 amps with 12 volt DC control voltage.  The double pole (DP) means that you can run both low and high beams thru the relay. The Double throw (DT) means that the relay has contacts that are closed (switch on) with no power as well as contacts that are open (switch off) with no power. The contacts that are wired into the headlight are the ones that are closed with no power. These are marked on the relay as the NC (normally closed) contacts which will open (switch off) and turn off the headlight when the control power is applied to the relay. It sounds complicated but it really isn't, a relay is just a switch that can turn things on or off depending on which contacts are used, NC (on with no power) or NO, normally open (off with no power).
  The control voltage needs to provide power to the relay only during starting. The easiest spot to hook up a wire for this is the terminal on the starting solinoid that the wire going to the starter is attached to. This terminal only gets power when starting the bike and can be found under the rubber boot under the seat.
Here's a picture of the solinoid
 http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/644041/  
I ran the wire, 14 gauge, along the left frame rail and just slipped it under the tank and into the back of the headlight. Although I never got around to installing an in line fuze I would recomend it, maybe something around a 5 amp.
 Here are two other pictures of the relay being installed
  http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/644049/
  http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/644056/
I put the relay in the headlight housing which turned out to be a tight fit mainly because of the extra room needed for the spade connectors. If I had to do this again I would just solder the wires onto the relay, a lot easier than fooling around with spade connectors and short wires. The other option is a toggle switch, just don't forget to turn it back on.

« Last Edit: 11/21/12 at 16:58:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: Installing a Headlight Relay
Reply #1 - 07/29/06 at 17:58:35

Thanks for posting this, Ed!   Not trying to be overly taxing on your time, but do you happen to know what the Radio Shack catalog number was for that relay?

Also, I'm wondering if Suzuki has schematic/parts breakdowns that shows where they placed the relay at to achieve this?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 07/29/06 at 19:29:28

Sorry, don't have the part number, it was two years ago when I did the mod.  Next time I'm in one of thier stores I'll try to get it. I'll guess that Suzuki put the relay somewhere under the seat and spliced into the main harness instead of trying to squeeze it into the headlight. I would of installed it under the seat but don't like the idea of cutting into the main harness. Looks like Clymer will need to update the wiring diagrams whenever they get around to it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 07/31/06 at 10:01:49

Ed,

Nice work!

On the same note, one could install a switch to turn the headlight off manually, as in this thread: Light Switch Mod

Basically I got a 6 Amp SPDT swithc from radio shack and spliced it in.  This switch allows me to go Hi/Off/Low.   Ground to the center pin, Hi to one side pin, Low to the other.

One could also get a simple on/off (i.e. SPST) switch, splice it in, and still use the handle bar switches, but I'm not sure where to put it w/o looking a the wiring diagram again.  Uh, let's see, I THINK you could wire both Hi/Low through the same SPST switch.  When it's in the Off position, it would jsut "open" the circuit so no current would flow to either beam.

V

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 07/31/06 at 15:25:35

Splicing in a toggle switch would be the easiest, cheapest and quickest way to go for a headlight cutoff setup, no doubt about it. I tend to over engineer most projects that way I'm really surprised when they work Grin.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #5 - 07/31/06 at 21:32:27

I opened up the headlamp and cut the high beam wire ( I never use high beam ) so the headlamp could be shut off with the switch in the high beam position... Works great !!    Grin

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #6 - 08/08/06 at 08:46:38

This feature is stock on the '06 as well...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/08/06 at 11:28:55

Well, I just came from Radio Shack.  Not good news on the relay front.   Seems they don't make a 15A/12V DPDT relay.  The biggest they had was a 10A, and I was afraid to try that.

Anybody got any ideas on relays?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 08/08/06 at 16:50:57

The head light should not be drawing 15A.  A 10 amp will do fine.  As above, I am using a 6A switch to control my headlight.  

P = I*V

P = 60 W (HL bulb)
V = 12 V (battery)
=> I = 5 A

even w/ a 100 W bulb,

100/12 = 8.33 A

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/19/06 at 19:33:36

My 05 has the cut-off for starting.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #10 - 08/27/06 at 08:13:25

My parts guy at work got me some samples of these.
NEC EQ1-31000S    SPDT  30A  12V
I plan to use one for high/low beam and one for no headlight on start. They are small, sealed, about 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 inch. Tomorrow I'll find out where he got them.

« Last Edit: 12/03/12 at 11:35:16 by verslagen1 »  

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #11 - 08/28/06 at 20:47:36

mouser.com is where they come from
on page 1377
part no EQ1-31000S
$1.68 each

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 09/08/06 at 17:34:55

Hey those are nice, shouldn't have any problem rigging them up.

IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #13 - 09/09/06 at 12:32:24

Ratshack 10A DPDT relay:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049722&cp=&fbn=Type%2F...

$8.49 for those who don't want to wait.

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 10/13/06 at 08:17:34

Guys,

Let's take the questions and discussion to the RSD forum.  This forum is supposed to be for reference/how-to listings.  Once there's something relevant to add to this thread, then it goes here.

Thanks.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 07:39:12

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Installing a Headlight Relay

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.