Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
passed my road test today!!! (Read 3 times)
starmom
Ex Member

Re: passed my road test today!!!
Reply #15 - 05/18/06 at 17:54:38

oh and the wildlife, yep......

we have the deer, wild turkeys, and red foxes.....

Ive developed an eye for the deer, hit one around 20 yrs ago, broke my heart..........if i hit one on the bike my heart will not be the only broken thing.............

fortunatly the deer around here are mostly out really early and at dusk...i dont plan on ridin the bike either of those times if i can help it.............

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #16 - 05/18/06 at 19:48:00

starmom wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I think ive gotten down using both brakes keeping in mind that the back brake lets them know im actually stopping.....

If you're talking about the brake light, there's one on the front brake lever too.

Which reminds me of another tip... when braking for a stop I will pump the brakes (apply release apply release) to flash my brake light to make myself more visible to cars behind me. Of course they sell a brake modulator gizmo if you want to go that route.

Have fun Smiley

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #17 - 05/18/06 at 20:46:58

Cheesy Congratulations Starmom!  Sounds like your off to a great start.  Every ride is just more practice,  remember to continue to work on u-turns and riding very slow, also.  There will be times you will need to have those skills and unless you use them on a regular basis you will not necessarily be able to perform them in a pinch.  head n eyes Wink  Have fun with Delilah!

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/19/06 at 02:45:39

my understanding from my teacher is that depressing the rear brake is the only way to light the brake light...of course I use both since 70 % of the braking power is in the front.  

so are you saying the using the front brake also makes the brake light go on on the savage? or am I missunderstanding?

I have great balance and my teacher had me working on rolling very very slowly in first, that is pretty easy for me.

My current challenges is "knowing"/"remembering" what gear im in, and taking off from a complete stop on a hill without stalling her.........

and most importantly staying safe while im doing all of that!

You all are a great bunch, and I do truly appreciate all the wonderful feedback to my questions.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/19/06 at 03:03:24

Either front or rear will trigger the rear brake light.

IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #20 - 05/19/06 at 03:13:44

MISS_SALLY wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I can't help it but I count. I count all the gears up and all the gears down. I know sooner or later I'll have enough riding under my belt to hear the gears...Until then I count.
When coming to a stop I always down shift. After I stop I always let out my clutch with just a little throttle just to know that I'm in 1st.

Heh..  I know all of out there with a newer Savage look for that mythical 6th gear... Smiley

- Roadie

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #21 - 05/19/06 at 06:43:21

when i see a lady biker, i know that i have a much more "protective" attitude towards her, i will give her more room, and block traffic from crowdin' her if i can. plus, i totally dig the fact that she's out there! much recpect and love, show your colors.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #22 - 05/19/06 at 10:20:49

so are you saying the using the front brake also makes the brake light go on on the savage?

Yes

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 05/19/06 at 14:17:10

That is very good to know (about the front brake lighting the brake light) I was taught that it didnt, so if im covering my front they will know my intention is stopping.

of course its wise to use both together, but for those moments that you want both feet on the ground its good to know its also lighted......

You all rock!

and about the question of showing im a lady, thanks for the responses......

sue

IP Logged
olscout99
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/19/06 at 17:22:23

rembering to turn off the blinker lites...working on that too.....

finding a way to become more visable........PRICELESS....

On the blinker lights....there is a solution to THAT problem. Do a web search for 'Kisan Signal Minder'. It's a circuit that wires in pretty easily and that shuts off your turn signals after a predetermined amount of time. Under a hundred bucks I think, but next to remembering the manual petthingy on most bikes, learning to cancel the signals is probably the hardest for a newbie......the Kisan removes that little problem.

IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 05/19/06 at 17:36:14

That is very good to know (about the front brake lighting the brake light)
sue

On that subject - I have a little check I run thru at least once a week while warming bike -  indicators working front and rear, push on back brake, check light comes on, same for front.
It is very easy to blow a bulb and be blissfully ignorant that no one behind you knows you are braking.

Also tyre pressures and oil level regularly.
The more practice you get doing routine checks the less time it takes.

Also when cleaning the baby look out for any loose cables or things that don't look right. One advantage of reqular cleaning is you get to know where everything goes, and can spot changes.

The other thing that is good to practice when you are a bit more confident,  feeling for fuel switch while riding , so you can put it into reserve without stopping, and choke if your bike is like mine and needs to be ridden with choke partly out for a little while when it is cold.

Thats about it for me mechanically, everything else the bike shop does.

IP Logged
MISS_SALLY
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 05/19/06 at 17:45:33

Starmom
I started a habbit of hitting my cancel button (turn signal) when I change into 2nd gear.  I was taught in my MC class to start routines and after a good bit of saddle time Everything will become automatic. I might look like a robot for awhile but sooner or later It will become as easy as driving a car.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #27 - 05/19/06 at 18:37:36

Congrats on your road test, and safe riding on your blue savage!

I always shift down into 1st gear (shifter can't go any lower than first - lol) before I come to a complete stop because it's a lot hard to shift after I've stopped.  If I have any doubts, I pop up one level to see if the "Neutral" light goes on, then downshift into 1st.

I find I have more difficulty remembering if I'm in 5th gear or not.  Several times I've tried to shift into 5th, and when nothing happens, realize that I'm already in 5th(lol).   Pretty sure I have adhd too - being tested.

Anyway, enjoy the ride!!!!  Oh, and always anticipate that drivers won't see you, or will do the stupidest of things = that way you will be ready just in case.  

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:32:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › passed my road test today!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.