Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
passed my road test today!!! (Read 3 times)
starmom
Ex Member

passed my road test today!!!
05/17/06 at 17:28:52

Started me lessons in april, took my test today, aced it!

My husband took his test too and also passed.

purchased my pearl blue 06 S40 two weeks ago as a birthday present to myself.  (im 44)  Damm its a good thing i passed my test ay?  Acutally I had the upmost faith in myself as did my instructor.

met her this afternoon after shoveling the gravel off my driveway (for 1 1/2 hrs) needless to say my bad shoulder is pissed at me, picked up my bike, my instructor worked with me on her  (ive only ridden a 240 nitehawk up until that moment and only 5-6 times in my life as the driver)  got a feel for her and drove her home.

the ride home was fun, having to stop on an uphill that headed into traffic was NOT fun and alittle scarey as I just learned the technique of dealing with this YESTERDAY, and she started leaning to the left and getting heavy but i was NOT letting her drop, (bad shoulder and all ) I was able to right her and get moving...Yippe... this is also another reason I like this bike, its not 5-600 lbs.

Im looking foward to getting more in tune with this bike and motorcycling in general, develop those necessary reflexes that keep you in one piece, like after driving a car for 28 yrs.

Overall its been a great day........just wanted to share.....

sue

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: passed my road test today!!!
Reply #1 - 05/17/06 at 18:42:51

Congratulations. It sounds like you did all your homework. Now be careful out there Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 05/18/06 at 05:37:17

Yes, congratulations!  Enjoy and keep the shiny side up.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 05/18/06 at 06:43:29

congratulations! i hope you take to it as well as my wife has, we ride every day, even if it is only 20 miles. lots of saddle time is where you'll find your comfort zone. enjoy it to the MAX!

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
MISS_SALLY
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/18/06 at 08:32:18

CONGRATS     YOU GO GIRL!!!!!

Enjoy and be safe

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/18/06 at 08:55:30

I wish I could get my wife into riding.  For some reason, she's terrified of motorcycles.  To my knowledge, she's never known anyone who's been seriously injured or worse on one but they're kind of a phobia for... bikes and needles.  I can't get her to donate blood either.  Oh well, maybe someday.  I'm not gonna push it.  That just generates pushback.  More power to all of you out there with spouses who share your passion!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/18/06 at 10:53:12

So I took "delilah" (my bike) out for our maiden voyage on our own (no one covering my butt) all in all I went about l4 miles, went to the daycare to show the kids, and then to the credit union (smaller roads), did ok trying to get a feel for her....

know where things are better, encountered some small inclines (that you dont really realize are there until you are on a bike) but it was good practice, yep I stalled her a few times but its a learning curve.  I stalled at a light twice, that was alittle scarey, but i just restarted her and got going, (spooked me alittle not too much)

went into a neighboorhood that tends to be quieter with hills and put myself thru my paces practicing how to get going from a standstill "uphill" and boy do i feel that bad shoulder today.

(quick history; fell down a flight of deck stairs, l0 to be exact on a very icy day two years ago, needed surgery a year later (last yr) managed a labral tear sometime after surgery, so its sore alot but after moving lots and lots of gravel by myself yesterday off my driveway so i could bring her home, well........that was the final straw for my shoulder.  felt better this am, went to a jazzercise class "took it easy" but a yank or two of her on those hills i was practicing on , looks like im done for today. Sad

went to the credit union, it was fun pulling in, and walking in with the helmet, leathers etc, people looking at me when i pulled of the helmet and realized i was a girl "in a dale ernhardt  , #3 jacket".  Over all it ride felt pretty good, only got one backfire out of her the whole ride.

What frustrates me as a new rider is that with my adhd i cant always remember what gear im in, that accounted for one stall at a light, i was in 2nd not first............. Tongue

Any tips for this older gal just starting out, practice drills etc?

Would appreciate anything youve got as a suggestion...

Thanks...... 8)

Sue

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/18/06 at 11:19:18

Congratulations! My wife did likewise last Sunday, and she's looking forward to riding with me this weekend.

I occasionally forget which gear I'm in, also - same issue. Suzuki standard bikes, years ago, came with an LED gear indicator. But what I do instead is downshift into Neutral as I approach a stoplight, then wait in Neutral. I know I'm supposed to stay in first with the clutch in, in case I need an instant departure... old habit from driving a car with a stick and wanting to save the throwout bearing.

You might also try shifting down slowly and watching for the flicker of green as you pass through Neutral. As your skills develop, though, all this will be less of a problem - in fact, when you take off in second accidentally, you'll just compensate for it.

Again, congratulations and happy trails!

IP Logged
MISS_SALLY
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/18/06 at 12:44:42

I can't help it but I count. I count all the gears up and all the gears down. I know sooner or later I'll have enough riding under my belt to hear the gears...Until then I count.
When coming to a stop I always down shift. After I stop I always let out my clutch with just a little throttle just to know that I'm in 1st.

IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/18/06 at 13:21:34

I am a 45 year old woman, and after riding scooters to work and back for years, finally got my Savage last year.
I was sick of being pillion on the big bike my partner has.

All those things you are experiencing are normal, you will be amazed how quickly it all starts to come together.

I have done 7000k on mine now and find I no longer have to think about changing gear, braking, but at first I felt I was having to use 110% of my brain just to keep it all together. A 50k ride was exhausting. Now I can go for a 300 k ride easily. But it did not happen overnight.

The more variety you can get the better, town riding, highway, open road, twisties...

As for gears, after a while you will find that you will usually be able to guess what gear you are in, just from the sound/feel of the engine and the speed you are going.
I always go into neutral at lights too, then I can be sure I am in first when I take off.

Well done, it is very satisfying to take up a challenge like this, when you are both a woman and shall we say a bit "older".  It can be pretty daunting at first, but things will just get better and better.

Ride like you are both naked and invisible, assume car drivers will do the stupidest things and progress at your own pace. As they say
"Ride your own ride"

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #10 - 05/18/06 at 13:30:05

Congrats!!  It feels great to be on your own.  I just passed the MSF course last July!!  Good for you!

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 05/18/06 at 14:14:51

Congrats on passing the test, now comes the fun part, a lot of saddle time. Keep to the back roads till you feel comfortable and try to get out when there isn't a lot of traffic to start with. My '02 has a distinct gear whine when downshifted into 1st while going around 10mph. Don't know if it is common but you can listen to the bike and be able guess what gear you are in.  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/18/06 at 16:23:45

You all ROCK!  Thanks for the support esp all you gals out there and guys too......

Im sure it will get better and better....

I told my hubby to figure out how to get the seat off so we can put the saddlebags on......gotta keep my bottle water somewhere??

Ladies do ya figure people cut you any slack if they realize its a "girl" ridin?  my wearing hubbys dale ernhardt jacket, thinkin might be better off getting a leather that more "girl colors"

what do ya think?  my bike is baby blue, I know Im not gonna see any guys out there in a baby blue leather or at least not many........

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #13 - 05/18/06 at 17:39:55

A couple tips:

Don't wear your helmet into the bank. They might just think there's a holdup Grin I do wear my helmet in gas stations sometimes but they're more understanding.

Downshift all the way to first as you are slowing down for a stoplight. They downshift much easier if you're rolling. If you try to shift while stopped you may encounter problems.

Be very careful on gravel or grass. Stay off the front brake if you're on a slippery surface (gravel or water). Always use the front together with the rear. On turns use the front brake less and the rear brake more. The front brake can put you down if you're in a tight turn or on gravel. On a straight smooth surface you should use full front and back brakes - most of your braking will come from the front brake.

Have fun and ride safe. Your biggest enemies will probably be cell phone talkers who are not paying attention and wildlife running across the road. Deer are especially bad. I had to lock up my brakes to avoid one last summer.

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/18/06 at 17:47:32

actually i was taking it off as i was walking thru the double doors, (and trying to get my glasses off too, trick with a full face but necessary)

b.t.w. Im lovin the scorpion 700 helmet, opened all the vents got great air, no fogging at all...

funny it didnt occur to me (about the bank robber hee hee hee hee hee) im so NOT the bank robber type.

I did wear my embroidered jeans today to ride to show that im a female.....

Thanks for the advice on the shifting, will work on it...

I think ive gotten down using both brakes keeping in mind that the back brake lets them know im actually stopping.....

and was well taught that my front is 70% of my braking power.

rembering to turn off the blinker lites...working on that too.....

finding a way to become more visable........PRICELESS....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:19:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › passed my road test today!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.