Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The big three... (Read 5 times)
STLBrown
Ex Member

The big three...
05/19/06 at 10:22:12

I recently bought a '00 Savage all stock.  I plan on taking road trips on the bike that would probably involve extended periods of interstate riding.  I hear from pretty much every person on here that it's necessary to make the "big three" mods (carb rejet, open exhaust, and aftermarket air filter), and if this is necessary to avoid being destroyed on the interstate I guess there's no way around it.  I was wondering how much I can expect to spend to get my bike interstate-worthy (I have no doubt that I can take the carb apart...putting it back together?....hmmm).  And how do these mods affect gas mileage.  I got this "smaller" bike partially for its gas mileage and I don't really want to decrease it.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

-Chris

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: The big three...
Reply #1 - 05/19/06 at 10:38:22

First, welcome.

It's not strictly necessary to change the exhaust or jejet, though you can gain a few HP easily that way, which may well be appreciated on the interstate.  If you are happy with the current power, I would say you really only need to adjust the pilot circuit (idle mixture) and midrange circuit (white spacer) to rid yourself of the worst lean conditions.  That will allow your engine to run cooler and decrease the backfiring.  These can be done for little or no money, though I'd suggest replacing the carb's screws with stainless allen screws which would cost a few extra dollars.  If you want more power, then open up the airflow by upgrading the exhaust and air filter and increase your jet size to compensate.  Lots of instructions are all over this site.  The cost will depend largely on what air filter and exhaust you choose and what kind of deal you find.  The jets are about $3 - $4 each, so they're minimal.

Lastly, you may want to address the cylinder head seal/plug as it will be an issue with your model at some point if it hasn't been fixed yet.  However, it's usually more of an annoyance than a real problem.  It's fully covered in the Tech Ref forum.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 05/19/06 at 11:33:02

I've got a 97.  Rode it bone stock from denver to seattle to ohio.  It made it to ohio when the cam chain tensioner broke.  Only did 65 mph after that... still made it to massachusetts.

Anyway, it was all highway.  Bike did fine, but had trouble going over some of the taller passes on I-90 (I think) in Montanna (i.e. starving for air).  Did fine otherwise.  kept up fine with traffic up to 80 mph or so.  So the point is: you don't need to mess with it if you don't want to.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #3 - 05/19/06 at 18:47:48

I have a 2000 too, and other than a K & N filter, and jardine exhaust, I haven't had it jetted yet.  Will check into that later in the summer, if it's necessary.  My bike does backfire, but I can prevent it most of the time if I don't throttle back quickly, etc.  

Anyway, I've been on the highways here, and had it running at 110 - 115 km/h with no problems. (65 - 70 mph approx.)  Gas mileage seems to be 4 litres of gas = 100 kilometres of travel.  (@ 60 mpg)  

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:06:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The big three...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.