I am curious. (Read 25 times)
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: I am curious.
Reply #15 - 05/15/06 at 19:17:59

iarecanadian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
K, a #4 washer that needs to be filed down with a chainsaw file. This is getting murkier instead of clearer. What does the rest of the world call a #4 washer?

its an inexact science. the #4 washer is very close to the spacer size and is only imperfect because of casting/cuting marks. Go to the store and ask for the washer. When you see how small it is, you will see how it doesn't matter as far as time is concerned with modification for free movement on the needle. I mentioned a chainsaw file as they are small and thin. Don't be afraid to explore. Just study the site before you do so. everything has been covered. Just phrase your question to the search values.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/15/06 at 19:52:43

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
My limited understanding indicates that the spacer mod increases the amount of fuel in the carb circuit. I think the deciding factor is how many turns out you have to use for the air/fuel mixture. factoring in where it was preset at the factory. the origional post concerning this spacer mod was to open the carb remove the spacer and toss it in the trash can. Then adjust the air/fuel mixture.  IMHO, whether you rejet or not depends on two main factors. The air fuel preset from the factory and where you are looking for your response point in the throttle. My main reason for the mod is engine life. I mainly ride in city traffic and could care less about performance. I have explored what the bike can do stock. I occasionally make a long ride, but almost always its a 14 mile round trip.

If you do the mods and everything is fine then you don't have to worry about the jets,  but from what I've read about carb tuning is that you first have to find the proper main jet first before anything else can be adjusted correctly.  I may be wrong, but just adjusting the mixture screw might help the backfiring,  but the midrange and top end will still be very lean and that may not be very healthy for the engine too.  Lean conditions can cause the engine to run hot and overheat and sometimes even melt the spark plug.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 05/16/06 at 06:04:14

You can certainly adjust the low (pilot) and mid-range (needle/white spacer) without rejetting.  Not rejetting will simply cap your high end.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #18 - 05/16/06 at 16:46:04

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
You can certainly adjust the low (pilot) and mid-range (needle/white spacer) without rejetting.  Not rejetting will simply cap your high end.

I thought this was the case as well.  Ive been getting some stern looks from my better half about bike fever as she calls it. Over the past two weeks my parts have been arriving,  the ebay buy of some t-handle allen wrenchs made her shake her head. As soon as my bathroom remodel is completed, I'm on it.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #19 - 05/16/06 at 19:47:01

iarecanadian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
K, a #4 washer that needs to be filed down with a chainsaw file. This is getting murkier instead of clearer. What does the rest of the world call a #4 washer?

Well so far as the washer(s) in place of the white spacer if that is what you want to do - the #4 has a hole in it about the same size as the needle it fits on to which is good - the problem was it's too big around - so what we did is to also pick up a bolt and nut to put the washer on and into a drill it went for turning down - used the driveway for the file Smiley

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/19/06 at 19:14:28

FYI - #4 is the size of a machine screw in American hardware sizes, not metric size.  A #4 washer is meant to "work with" a #4 machine screw, both in internal diameter and useful outside diameter.  

IIRC, it's about 3/8" OD, but as long as it's close it'll work.

In Home Depot around here you'd find them in little bags on the wall priced at a buck for ten or twelve.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:33:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I am curious.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.