Hi Y'all, new here (Read 2 times)
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Hi Y'all, new here
Reply #15 - 05/07/06 at 07:07:40

welcome, my wife is 40, and started riding her savage a month ago, after attending the msf course. mostly she rides along side of me, for now. i can watch the road for us, as she gets more comfortable with the controls and feel of being "in the wind". have you got a riding buddy?

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #16 - 05/07/06 at 08:28:36

Welcome!  I was new to street riding before my S40.  I felt comfortable with the controls from my dirt bike days, but this new element "cars" was strange to me.  It's a little bit Zen...have the confidence...be in control...feel larger than you are...will people to see you.  All the while driving as though you are as invisible as the wind...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/07/06 at 21:05:53

welcome  Grin the backfire thing is good so times it helps u some times one night i was driving home from work when the suz let out one  there was a cat on the side of the road that cat jump 3ft in the air i laugh my tushy off
good luck in ny that where i from and my bike is from

shawn

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #18 - 05/08/06 at 05:31:35

Welcome StarMom,

Parking lot practice. Or your own yard if it is big enough.  Once your comfy on the Savage/S40 moving slow and making turns from a stop then hit the street!!   Enjoy Cheesy  

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/08/06 at 11:48:38

thanks all for your imput!

I have a small property, my driveway is short and hilly.

there is a fire house down the street,  with a parking lot and some neighboorhoods not far but not possible to get to without driving on roads.

Im planning on being out there on the quietest time on the day, 9:30-ll in the morning, after the commuters are at work.  on my days off.

I wish i had more open road to practice on, im not far from vassar college and they have a farm area i would have to take small residential roads to get there with minimal traffic.  I have to get used to the mirrors, and really looking hard for traffic, not stalling in traffic and the braking on my new bike.  there are some circular neighboorhoods again i have no choice but to be on minimally one lane each way roads.

will have to learn the basics of putting gas in, etc.

so tell me when you go into a parking lot where you have to stop and get a ticket how do you let go of the clutch? netural? with foot on brake and right hand on brake?

i know so stupid, trying to figure these sorts of things out.

hey can only the saddle bags made for the s 40 fit on the bike? with the supports? do they hold much?

my teacher has been teaching for over 20 yrs she teaches the msf courses too.  the private lessons was the best way for me with my schedule, i would love to have skipped the road test i take that next week.

i have lessons for four hours this week.

2 hrs tommorow and 2 hrs on thru, then after we work a bit thru we are going to the road test site to practice.

not picking up the bike until next week my helmet comes in a day or so.

will get the owners manuel then so i can read all about the different things on the bike in advance so i know  the particulars.

my hubby is getting his liscence too and a h.d. sportster, he has more experience than me, but never offically liscenced.  so i will have someone to ride with but is there anyone out there from the hudson valley NY?

sue

IP Logged
AnnB
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/14/06 at 21:41:20

Grin hey sue
I am 59 and got my S40 last year.  I love her.  Remember to "ride at your own pace".  I guess I am lucky-live in the country so had plenty of lessor used roads to pratice on.  I started out pretty slow, but soon picked up on the speed.  Try not to worry to much.  As for stalling ..............everyone does it even the road warriors :.)))))))

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #21 - 05/14/06 at 22:19:29

starmom wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
so tell me when you go into a parking lot where you have to stop and get a ticket how do you let go of the clutch? netural? with foot on brake and right hand on brake?

Hi Mom Grin Yes put your bike in neutral. Use either brake to hold the bike. Probably the front brake so you can put both feet down while doing your business. If you're on a hill you will need to switch to holding the bike with your back/foot brake because you will eventually have to apply some throttle to take off so you will want to free up your right hand. Use the rear when taking off on hills anytime.

Regarding fueling - keep your petc0ck in the "ON" position all the time. Practice switching to reserve from the seated position without looking. This is what you'll have to do if you run out of gas on the main tank while riding. Keep track of your miles after filling your tank full. Stop and refuel at 100 - 125 miles. Probably 100 or less to give your butt a break Smiley

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #22 - 05/15/06 at 16:49:25

Hi!  I just learned to ride last fall at the age of 42.  I did have experience riding dirtbikes, and all kinds of off-road vehicles as a teenager though - which helped.  I did the Motorbike safety course, and picked up a used savage in November.  I was intimidated to ride a 650, but man it is smooth and fun to ride.  

For safety, I just try to keep a good distance back from the cars in front of me, and always watch in the distance for anyone who might do something stupid or not see me.  I also have full leathers and a helmet etc.
The muffler on my savage is a very loud jardine slash cut, but I was told it was good because other drivers would hear me, and know that I was there!!!!  

I live in Canada, so I had to watch for sand and gravel on the roads following the winter, so I'd advize you to keep a careful eye out for any type of loose gravel or debris that might affect your traction.   On the days I take my car, I always make note of where the roads have any new hazards, so I can be cautious on my bike.
The other day I saw a bunch of gravel all over one interection - yikes - going to avoid that one til it's cleaned up.  (I'ts a construction area).

Anyway, I'm sure that with each new mile or km. you put on your bike, you'll feel more and more at ease in the seat!    Enjoy, and ride safe!!!

Diane S

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
GA_Wolf
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 05/18/06 at 07:53:21

Congrats on your new S40...I've been riding for decades and love our little thumper..she's forgiving and enjoyable to ride.  My wife took the MSF and got her license last year but didn't get much saddle time in before her Yamaha Vision became a parts bike for mine.  So two weeks ago we bought our first S40.  Wifey crashed it in practice..lol...fixed it back except for a couple dents in the tank and some road rash on her arm.  We pick up a red one for her this weekend.  She'll continue to get her skills up on mine, since it's already been dinged.  It happens....maybe not to everyone, but if it does, remember bikes can be fixed or replaced, and wear your safety gear at all times...even for slow speed practicing!  

As far as the backfiring....there are alot of fixes posted in the forum for it.  I've noticed that mine only seems to backfire when using the motor to help slow the bike.  It's an old habit and most riders do use that method to help slow th bike. But, if you don't want to hear the backfire, you can also just engage the clutch, slow the bike with brakes only (while shifting down to an appropriate gear) until you stop or get to the desired speed, then reengage the clutch.  Seems to work with mine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:01:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hi Y'all, new here

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.