Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie helmet question (Read 4 times)
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Newbie helmet question
05/16/06 at 19:54:43

I just bought an 87 Savage and am new to bikes.  I am borrowing a helmet from a friend for now but am wondering what is the most popular helmet people use? The one I am borrowing is a KBC TK-410, FWIW.

Thanks....I love this site! Great info exchange.

IP Logged
stock87
Ex Member

Re: Newbie helmet question
Reply #1 - 05/16/06 at 20:02:48

What you should do is go to your nearest dealership and have them fit you with a helmet, I prefer a full face helmet and I have one which was custom fit for my head.

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/16/06 at 21:00:03

i have an Icon Alliance it is fullface it helps keep the bugs out of your  Grin

shawn

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/16/06 at 21:15:14

A 1998 "Buco" style police half shell or a 2005 G-Max half shell. I do have a 1968 Buco police 1/2 helmet color matched to the bike, but it doesn't fit well. Also have a year unknown Vega 3/4 helmet, that will be color matched when I figure out what color I'm going to paint the bike this time. It will never be worn, I'm a 1/2 helmet or no helmet type of rider.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/17/06 at 05:53:31

I don't know if there's a most popular kind of helmet, just because there are SOOO many different helmets out there and everyone has different taste. I use a Biker's Choice Skid Lid, which is just a half helmet, and it's DOT approved, so it's good in every state. I think it's similar to the helmet that you've been using, if that's the half-helmet model, but it doesn't have a visor, which doesn't really bother me b/c I've never used one, but if that's one of the features you're looking for, then a skid lid probably isn't for you.

Other than that, I love my helmet and wouldn't trade it for anything. It took me forever to decide on that one and I have no regrets.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #5 - 05/17/06 at 10:26:40

we have bell shorty helmets, and afx full face helmets. i like the full face in the winter, and on long highway rides. i prefer no helmet or a shorty in in the city and short rides. i chose the afx full face, because it had the best periphial visibility of all that i tried, it fit very well, it is quite light, and it wasn't too expensive, $ 70.00-80.00 if remeber correctly. i bought mine from a shop in OKC, and i bought my wife's from:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/06 at 10:35:17

I've got a Harley Davidson half helmet, which looks really cool and has a visor, but cost twice what every other normal helmet costs because it's a Harley (and I'm a fool) and I was in a hurry to get a half helmet and the zook dealer here didn't have any. The one thing that I DO really like about this helmet is that I bought a 'half' shield' that attaches to the helmet, screws on, and makes putting on the helmet or scratching my face really easy despite wearing glasses, which makes most full face helmets impossible, unless you're willing to bend 400 dollar glasses. This mini shield allows air in, yet protects against flying objects and getting teary from windspeed. I don't see many people using these, maybe they're perceived as dorky looking, but I think they're absolutely great. The only drawback will be getting it scratched.

IP Logged
olscout99
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/17/06 at 11:23:13

This doesn't really answer your question, but I found it pretty interesting reading. More expensive and name brands don't always mean the best helmets apparently... some of the cheaper ones may do a better job than the high buck jobs. Check out this link: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

The helmet I'm currently wearing is this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-89-DOT-OPEN-FACE-MOTORCYCLE-SCOOTER-HELMET...
Got it off of ebay for a reasonable price before I did the BRC. It's OK, but hindsight is I'd have either gone ahead and upgraded to a full face (more protection) or gone to a half helmet (skid lid). This one is a 'tweener' and I don't know that it's a whole lot better than a skid lid.

IP Logged
MISS_SALLY
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/17/06 at 11:46:01

Just like Cirago Eyeglasses need to be protected..
I wear a chrome half helmet with a flip up shield.
Check out the "Jafrum store" on Ebay

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 05/17/06 at 11:47:04

Just about any DOT or Snell approved helmet will give you protection. A full faced is better than a 3/4 or shorty. The drawbacks with a FF is it gets hot in the summer, is heavier and is harder to get off and on.  The higher priced helmets are made of exotics like carbon fiber and weigh a lot less which is a plus. The most important thing about a helmet is that it fits without giving you any headaches and that you wear it. Head on down to you local motorcycle dealer, ask questions and try on a bunch, make a day of it and hit all the dealers in the area. Find one that fits and take it from there. Luck with it Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #10 - 05/17/06 at 12:38:12

I'm with everyone else on this one.  Try them on first.  As many as possible.  Find which one works best.  At that point it becomes worthwhile to  look online and see who has the best deal for you.  A lot of times you can order one a lot cheaper than buying it from the shop.  

I've bought all of my helmets online without trying them on...not necessarily the best way to go, but I've gotten lucky with it so far.  

My shorty is a half helmet from jafrum.com
My FF is a modular Zeus from traxms.com

Remember, bright yellow and white are supposedly the most visible (and thus safest) colors to go with.  Not necessarily what you decide to do, but it made a difference in what I bought (for my modular helmet, anyway).  I suppose that for all of us, it's a matter of balancing the scales between safety and cool, and we each use different methods that suit us.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/17/06 at 14:58:14

White KBC TK-8. Full face with front and side slide vents that exit throught the top and back. Snell and DOT. Two visors. One clear, one dark. Inexpensive and easy to change. Pinstiped to match my ride.
I prefer the full face even though it takes more time to put on and is a little warm in summer. I wear prescription glasses. It would be easier to wear a shorty or half. But you never know when you might need the full face, and I hate bugs in the teeth!!! Tongue

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #12 - 05/17/06 at 15:53:27

I personally have a Nolan N100E modular helmet. Sort of mid-priced. The flip-up part is very smooth and the latches are very solid.

I don't think that anyone as yet mentioned HJC.  They  make some nice, inexpensive helmets.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 05/17/06 at 16:05:45

hi=3/4 helmet JHC/JRC here. Glasses make full face tough to put on comfortbly.  If you are new to riding, a full face for extra protection could make sense.  OR just be a pain in the butt.  Not sure the small skid lids are worth wearing other than appease the law. Helmet threads are like oil threads..enless choices and options Cheesy

IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 05/17/06 at 16:25:52

Thanks all for the input. I now have lots of info to look over.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:21:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie helmet question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.