Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hi Y'all, new here (Read 2 times)
starmom
Ex Member

Hi Y'all, new here
05/05/06 at 14:55:17

New biker, a lady turning 44 on monday...whoo hoo...

Always wanted to ride, was the passenger alot in my younger years........

Finally decided this was the year to do it....

so far have take four hours of private lessons with a fab lady teacher who has been at it for 20 + yrs.

have four more hours of lessons with her and then I take my road test on 5-l7.

have been shopping around for a bike for quite some time, have had my eye on a baby blue S 40 for a month or so at the local dealership.......

Today was the day, I bought her, she is MINE!   Will pick her up after my road test. (also picked up a nice scorpion full face helmet )

Weird for me but I didnt actually do much reading on this model that was aka the savage...

Im alittle concerned about this back firing business, besides that the reviews are favorable.

I liked that the S40 didnt feel so huge when I sat on her, it was a comfortable fit for my 5'6" frame, and she soooooooooooooo pretty!

Any other quirky stuff I need to know while learning to ride her??  my teachers had me on a 250 cc rebel.

Thanx...

Sue

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Hi Y'all, new here
Reply #1 - 05/05/06 at 15:05:07

Hi Sue!  Post a pic of the bike (and yourself if you feel like it) when you can!

Don't get too worried about brake squeakage... that's what they do.... usually.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/05/06 at 15:15:41

Welcome !!   Sounds like a perfect fit for you...   But be ready for a nice ride..  Way nicer bike than a Rebel....  Some of the new bikes seem to not have the backfire, but if it does look around here for some easy mods to relieve it.....

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/05/06 at 15:22:52

I will probably pick her up on 5-l7, and could possible get a pic to post at some point .....

any of you new riders? so far all my riding has been in parking lots, im very relaxed and feel in control and comfortable, I think I will be ok on the road with other vehicles, just want to make sure Ive got a feel of the gearing, and clutch so I dont STALL out in traffic that is one of my fears as well as the usual some idiot trying to run me off the road.

Will happily accept all "tips" for the novice biker getting out into the "real world"

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 05/05/06 at 17:16:56

Welcome - my advice would be to stay out of traffic and on quiter roads if you can until you no longer think about how to shift , brake, turn, and take off - think about how well a car seems to drive itself while your on the lookout for fools and what not in the road - you can never turn that same amount over to the subconscious while on a bike but the more you can the more you watch out for fools.

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/05/06 at 17:57:11

Welcome aboard!! You'll find a lot of good info here, and friendly people willing to help. Grin
Be extremely alert the first ime and every time there after in traffic!! Eyes in the back of your head so to speak.
It's kind of ironic, and please don't take it personally, but every morning on my way to work, 6:30 am, the worst drivers I encounter are the ones going to work at the local hospital here!!! I've been cut-off, nudged over, Pulled out in front of, etc. Sometimes I think they're trying to drum up business! Angry
Be carefull of your fellow commuter co-workers!!! LOL

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/05/06 at 18:06:41

Want an easy way to avoid the commuters?  Do what I do - work overnight!

I go into work the only one on the road, and on the way home, I get to watch the craziness on the road trying to get into boston, as I'm headed out!  Shocked Grin

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 05/05/06 at 18:12:04

welcome and enjoy yourself.  The S-40 is a forgiving ride, 3-5 gears cover each other quite a lot.  As I have mentioned before, I found a moderate slope at a cement factory near me where I was able to practice hill starts- my one concern when I returned to riding.  At 44, you've got 30 years of riding ahead of you so don't be in a rush- practice on the back roads etc until the controls are second nature- then head out nto the wide world.  Your gonna love it Smiley.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #8 - 05/05/06 at 18:12:15

Welcome to motorcycling, welcome to Savage/S40, and welcome to the site. We are here to help so post all you want. Use the search to look for info first if you cant find it someone will point you in the right direction. As for the clutch and such, practice. Out of "traffic". You should get a feel for it pretty quick since you have been on a bike recently. You will be fine, just stay confident in what you can do. And take baby steps to the next thing you want to do. For example...If you ride comfortably at lower speeds then by all means take the long way home and stay away from the "big" roads till you are ready for the higher speeds. If you are more at home making turns without stopping, try to plan your routes accordingly till you are familiar with the stops. Sounds like your are getting good instruction via the teacher but if this teacher is just a friend or a friend of a friend then may I "we" suggest the MSF course. It will help ease the anxiety. Once you get comfortable with one thing you can start on something new. Have fun and let us see the baby when you can. We like baby pics, They're so cute! Grin

WWW   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #9 - 05/05/06 at 21:35:50

Baby Pics ??....   Mine is of MY Mistress !!! ( so my wife calls her )  And yes she is cute !!

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 05/06/06 at 05:32:39

Welcome Sue.  

Most everything has been covered already so I will not repeat it again.  

RIDE WELL & RIDE SAFE

IP Logged
MISS_SALLY
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/06/06 at 06:13:32

Practice Practice Practice
I put over 20 miles on my bike before leaving the neighborhood. Getting the feel of my bike vs class bike.
Glad to see another Lady Rider on savage site.

IP Logged
Don Steel
YaBB Newbies

East Yorkshire, Great Britain
Reply #12 - 05/06/06 at 09:28:26

Hi Starmom

Welcome to the world of Savagery!! Grin

Now you can say you've got friends in the Uk as well.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #13 - 05/06/06 at 21:19:49

first thing different than the 250 will be a very strong lurch forward when you twist that right grip.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 05/06/06 at 23:34:35

Welcome, Happy Birthday and congratulations on your new bike!  Folks seem to have covered most of it.  The backfiring is normal as the bikes are set very lean at the factory.  Very minor adjustments should lessen the occurrence greatly and a few more tweaks can garner some more power.  Of course, any machine can be improved and most folks find ways to personalize their rides.  In the mean time, ride safely and remember that you are invisible to most cage drivers.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:49:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hi Y'all, new here

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.