I did it!!! (Read 9 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: I did it!!!
Reply #15 - 04/30/06 at 13:14:22

FWIW-I usually park in neutral, because I usually back into the space I'm parking in.  When I start out, I pull out the choke, start er up, then let her idle while I put on my helmet, glance at whatever I bungeed on the back, and then I get on board and roll.  And you are right, I do not live in hilly country.  Enjoy your MSF course and practice a lot.  I found a quiet lot with a grade to practice hill starts, since that was my greatest worry.  Enjoy.

IP Logged
gubbs
YaBB Newbies

"Happiness is
not a
destination."

UK
Reply #16 - 04/30/06 at 13:25:50

Veritas wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Wait, why not warm it up on the sidestand?

See this is good info for when I go pick it up.  I want to know all this stuff first.

Last time I did that, the vibes from the bike punted it along a few inches until it met a gradient in the asphalt and .. CRRR..UNCH!

One new fairing please Mr. Desmo!

Also there is good evidence that it doesnt do them any good mechanically. Best to sit on it imho. You got what 2 litres of oil in there .. you want it evenly distributed.

WWW   IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/30/06 at 14:55:43

Yeah, Trippah, you know that Massachusetts is actually Native American for "big hills"... fun, fun.

Thank you Gubbs, woulda never thought of that and my heart would have cried if she dropped cause of that.

Does a motorcycle shut itself off if it falls over?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #18 - 04/30/06 at 15:26:22

Does a motorcycle shut itself off if it falls over?

it's been my expirience,  no.
Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
gubbs
YaBB Newbies

"Happiness is
not a
destination."

UK
Reply #19 - 04/30/06 at 21:30:53

Thank you Gubbs, woulda never thought of that and my heart would have cried if she dropped cause of that.

Don't be daft. You won't drop it.

I've only ever dropped a bike 5 times.

Each time through stupidity.

1. Whilst idling on the sidestand. Easily avoided.
2. Practising the mandatory UK examination U-Turn in a tight street. Suffered busted clutch lever. I even managed to pick it up before my instructor noticed. Boy, he was such a hawk ..  :_)
3. Executing a U-Turn on a hill. Dumb as hell. Planted that one in the middle of the road. Miles from home!
4. Low sided, that means braked too hard whilst leaned over in wet conditions. Going way too fast, on cold tyres.
5. I was wheeling my 916 out of the shed and lost it on the ramp. It fell into a concrete post, fortunately I took a decision to put my head into the concrete post and save the bike.

I now have a wonderful scar on my forhead, but skin grows back and unfortunately, fuel tanks dont. Smiley

That one hurt.

Lesson learned!

Anyway ..

Once you program yourself to understand that there is no evil spirit hiding under the seat, waiting for any oppertunity to junk your ride, you'll be fine.

Because *you* won't ever drop a bike and the evil Djinn can't touch you now *you* know he has no power to make you do it. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/01/06 at 04:51:52

Heh gubbs, thanks for that.  You made my morning.  Now that I know that stupid little demon isn't hiding in there...  Grin

Anyways, I'm pretty confident with everything I do regarding a motor with wheels.  When I purchased my first stick-shift, a 2000 Mustang GT, I didn't know how to drive it.  But, I signed the papers and took the keys 20 miles from home with highways, twisties and hills all the way.  Didn't stall it once, shifted fairly smooth the whole way.  Why?  Cause I spent a few weeks gathering all the technical info on a manual transmition, like what everything does inside it when you push the clutch or move the shifter.  I also took in all the tips and such from other drivers so I could have as much info as possible before I drove.

Anyways, I'm just doing the same here, and it's already making me feel more confident.

IP Logged
Don Steel
YaBB Newbies

East Yorkshire, Great Britain
Reply #21 - 05/05/06 at 05:11:37

Hey Veritas!

Good for you on the purchase, man.
The good thing about the Savage is that they're easy to ride! You'll be fine once you get going  Grin. And what a great site this is for info!

Hey Gubbs,

My bike tester sounded the same as yours.

The old boy who used to test in Bridlington used to stand lookin in shop windows. You used to think "aah easy, he's not even watching me!" What he was really doing was watching you in the reflection!! Crafty old S*d

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/05/06 at 10:06:23

Thanks!  3 weeks and counting.  But then again, I have to have surgery on my tailbone in 2 weeks!  I won't be able to ride her for a couple weeks after that!  Embarrassed

It's ok, gives me time to make her a happy Savage.  Should I wait till my 600 service before changing stuff around? I want to put one of those flat black sporty muffs on her, rejet, white spacer and idle mixture.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #23 - 05/05/06 at 11:44:33

aw just get a pillow and ride it - naw i wouldn't mess it with until the first checkup and oil change - you know get a 1k or so miles on it stock

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/05/06 at 14:23:19

Heh, one of those ass-donuts might work...

Should I wait to adjust the idle mix too?  Or is this something I can do without worry before the maintenance?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:08:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I did it!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.