Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running a twin headlight setup? (Read 13 times)
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Running a twin headlight setup?
05/03/06 at 05:32:57

Okay, I have been thinking about getting a twin headlight assembly and mounting it to the Zook.

Is this likely to cause any problems with the charging system? I know the stator will only support so much voltage. If I'm running two regular lights, can I have both burning at, say, 35w for low beams and both at 55w for high beams without it drawing too much current and in effect draining my battery? That's pretty bright light for a motorcycle, granted, but most cars are putting out that much light so it shouldn't really annoy drivers meeting me on the highway.

The alternate idea is to run one light for low beam, two for high-- Euro-style.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Re: Running a twin headlight setup?
Reply #1 - 05/03/06 at 05:36:30

By the way, I was thinking of the "Dominator Twin Motorcycle Headlights" listed at this page:

http://www.toolparts.co.uk/acatalog/Front_Lights.html

I got my twin rear lights from these people. Although somewhat expensive ($55 for those lights,) they look just like I wanted.

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 05/03/06 at 07:54:55

i changed my head light bulb to one of those super brite,same wattage lot whiter light ,added 2 small 20 watt hallogen marker lights..low beam draw =95watts
no problems..
note:i installed a switch in the lower section of the left cover off a fused lead from the battery thru a relay stuck under the seat and wired the coil of the relay to the low beam (white i think)lead of the head lamp...
this   ensures lights kick off during starting(no light sw on my 06) and no aux lights on with high beam(keeps jonny law happy)...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/03/06 at 08:05:05

Hmm I always thought 55w bulb would melt the wiring for the headlight.  I cant imagine how hjot it could get if u had 2 highbeams with that much power on it.  U might have to wire them with a fuse and heavier gauge wire.

good luck

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 05/03/06 at 09:26:24

How about two 35W low beam, and one single 60W high beam? If the quality of the light assembly is good, you will rarely need TWO high beams.
Also, how about a triple light setup, as in,
oOo
or better still
range;">ooOorange;">o
where the sidelights are35W and the center one is 60W.
If you do your wiring properly, you can actually have the 35x2=70W switch off as you switch on the 60W high beam,
OR
stay on when you flash.
8)
Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 05/03/06 at 14:30:24

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Hmm I always thought 55w bulb would melt the wiring for the headlight.  I cant imagine how hjot it could get if u had 2 highbeams with that much power on it.  U might have to wire them with a fuse and heavier gauge wire.

good luck

ohms law tells us    P(watts)=I(amps)xE(volts)....
so 55watts /12 volts=4.583 amps your wire would have to be smaller than 18 gauge and fused over 5 amps to melt the wire...UNLESS !! the wiring(size not issue thermal rating is) was laying across the top the lamp and temp exceeded 60c....

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/03/06 at 19:23:11

hmm so 2 55watt high beams would be 9 amps.  Ouch

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 05/03/06 at 19:40:07

yes 2x 55/12=9.16amps...

#12 or 14 automotive wire fused at 10 or 15amps..
my s40 has 2  20 amp fuses id guess one is for starter
and other for lighting(havent seen a wiring diagram)
if  i remember battery rating it should run 2 55 watt builbs for about an hour with the engine off ..(dont do this to a battery you care about)..
thought i saw a post somewhere on how to use a volt meter to calculate the charging circuit out put...
anything over 20 watts or so id would shurly run a seperate fused circuit..think scootworks has a cromed housed bar mounted switch and relays available..

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #8 - 05/04/06 at 04:23:59

The lights I'm looking at (see link in above post) are 55w lights. This is why I ask about the high wattage figure.

I'm very bad with electrical stuff and understanding it all, so your patience and explanations are appreciated.

Didn't I see someone here running a bright yellow Savage with twin lights on the front? I think they were big round lights, too. Like the 5" regular m/c lights...anyone?

Regards,
Banger
======

WWW   IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #9 - 05/04/06 at 04:25:54

It would make sense to run one for dim and two for bright, in that case, no?

Regards,
Banger
========

WWW   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #10 - 05/04/06 at 06:58:44

Banger,

That yellow twin light savage was mine.  Those 'Dominator' lights look just like the kind I got from Custom Chrome (I loved the look of them) but they SUCKED so much juice together it was killing my battery.  

I also want to mention that just one of those lights would not light up enough to be worth it - could have been me - I'm not that great with electrical side of things but I believe it to be the quality of the lights.

I since went with two 35w lights on at the same time (when my bike was running) and although I didn't care for the look as much, looking 'good' versus seeing and being seen, you know which will win out.

WWW   IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/04/06 at 20:46:58

I have two 35W passing lamps and the stock bulb in the middle 55w/65w ? They certainly have the brightness, but I haven't run it long enough to check battery drain. I did 8 hours of driving and it was still starting fine so it is working at least some. I'm in the process of doing the head. (another story) Once that's done I will find out.

If any one finds out the amp output of the thumper I'd really like to know. I will have it tested if noone else does.

Sunny in Seattle

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #12 - 05/05/06 at 08:06:24

I agree. 35W lights are very good daytime driving lights, but they're nowhere near a single 55W light (single) when it comes to night driving.

That's why I suggested the 35W twin setup, and the bigger headlight in the middle.

With the right kind of switch/relay, you can actually have the three positions for daytime, night low, night high beam. And leave the itty bitty parking light for... parking.

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:53:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running a twin headlight setup?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.