Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
backfire? what backfire? (Read 12 times)
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
backfire? what backfire?
04/21/06 at 22:37:51

I have now eradicated that annoying backfire. The #55 pilot did the trick. Silence on shutdown and nothing but rumble on the decel. Actually kinda sounds like a Jakebrake on a semi-truck. 8) The only obnoxious  noises comming from it now are intentional. Grin Thanx to all that helped.

WWW   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: backfire? what backfire?
Reply #1 - 04/21/06 at 22:41:24

I'll have my #55 installed Monday.  I had adjusted the idle mix screw all I could without it falling out, but still had some (not a lot) backfires, so I'm looking forward to that improvement as well.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 04/21/06 at 22:59:28

Good luck with that. It took me a couple trys to get rid of it but I finally did. I took Lancer's advice and after the new pilot, started with the screw out 1 turn and went from there. Actually wound up being 2 for me.

WWW   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/22/06 at 00:07:24

I'm not really worried about it, just not looking forward to pulling the tank.  Angry

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/22/06 at 06:40:14

Glad to hear of your success with the backfire issue...it's all in the pilot jet.

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 04/22/06 at 06:51:40

I bought the #55 a couple days ago. I took a quick stab at getting the old one out, but didn't have any luck before my buddy showed up wanting to go for a ride.
Supposed to rain for the next couple days, so if I get my income taxes done, that's the next on the list.
Any suggestions on getting the old one out? I think I'll pull the entire carb so I can get a better look and more leverage. Did yours come out real easy?

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 04/22/06 at 08:21:27

Take the carb off the bike to work on it for this.
Take the top off and remove the spring/slide so the carb can sit flat on a work surface upside down, exposing the main and pilot jets.
Find a screwdriver that best fits the pilot jet, then take a small hammer and GENTLY tap on the top of the screwdriver while applying turning pressure to unscrew the jet.  It usually does not require much tapping or turning force to break it loose and will work 99% of the time.

REMEMBER...GENTLY

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 04/22/06 at 08:47:47

That was precisely my plan. It comes out the bottom just like the main jet correct? way up in the tube next to it.? lefty loosey, righty tighty?

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #8 - 04/22/06 at 12:24:42

Yea thats right, lefty loosey/righty tighty. I was too lazy to take carb off but I have a set of screwdrivers that fit the carb stuff perfect. I just loosened the clamps on the boots and rotated the carb. The bowl screws were actually harder to get out than the pilot jet, and I had thm off before when I changed the main. I did the main the same way. I would suggest doing it the way Lancer suggested though. Bound to be easier on the neck that way.

Quote:
...it's all in the pilot jet.

WWW   IP Logged
mmp
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/22/06 at 12:40:45

Where did you order the pilot from? I have been thinking of replacing the main, pilot and the muffler here in the next few months.

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - 04/22/06 at 13:22:07

Got 'er done.
Not the taxes.....
The pilot jet.
Priorities, that's what it's all about.
Stopped raining long enough for me to get it all done and then started raining again,  Sad
So I haven't had a chance to really test it out. Just playing with it in the garage it seems to pull harder right off the bat, and zero backfiring from revving to cut throttle. Idle mixture screw at 1 turn out and she idles steady and strong. I went out and bought a cheap screwdriver, and shaped it to my liking, With carb in hand and a little force, the pilot jet came right out. It's not going back in, that head is butchered. I cleaned the hole and threads with a Q-tip, to get any pilot shavings out, the carb threads were perfectly fine, which was a big relief. And the new pilot jet screwed in and seated nicely, another big relief since I bought the jet from the local HD dealer, and it looked quite different. HD was my last resort as the local Suzuki/Yamaha Dealer were too busy trying to upsell me on a jet kit, and the local Honda/Yamaha were too busy to give me the time of day, even though I was in there all the time with my 250 Rebel. Dang, I keep forgeting about the spark plug door mod. Oh well another time I guess, gotta get those taxes done.
Thanks guys.

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 04/22/06 at 14:28:50

Pics of my jets:
The taller one with the thinner neck is the new Official HD engine part (Made in Japan). And has 55 stamped on the head The other one is the stock jet and has 52.5 stamped on the side

I was afraid that head would not fit into the tube, but it went in beautifully. Also forgot to mention that the battery box on the S40 made getting the carb out a major hassle, Were the Savage battery boxes that close to the carb? Clymers said to just pull the carb back away from the engine, but the battery box is almost snug up against the float bowl. Getting it back in was much easier as I left the bowl off, being extra careful not to touch the floats themselves.
Can't wait to get out and test ride it. I hate drizzle!! Just rain and get it over with.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #12 - 04/22/06 at 19:21:01

mmp wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Where did you order the pilot from? I have been thinking of replacing the main, pilot and the muffler here in the next few months.

You can try the dealer for the main and the pilot. They may have them in stock. Just so happened that my local dealer didn't have a pilot. I got mine from a member here on the site. He had ordered a pair from http://www.denniskirk.com/ .( I think they only come in pairs )

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 04/22/06 at 20:19:18

I need to do the jet swap (still) and change the throttle cable. Only way that Savage will give up its carb is to pull the engine... Angry Can't even change the throttle cable on mine without pulling the engine. What a pain in the butt.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 04/23/06 at 05:01:47

Did you get the shrunken frame with youir Savage?

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I need to do the jet swap (still) and change the throttle cable. Only way that Savage will give up its carb is to pull the engine... Angry Can't even change the throttle cable on mine without pulling the engine. What a pain in the butt.
-WD

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:49:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › backfire? what backfire?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.