Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need Input-S40 suit my needs? (Read 7 times)
ruffhunter

Need Input-S40 suit my needs?
03/28/06 at 08:19:29

I have been away  for 8 years, with that URGE every spring since.  I used to ride a Hawk GT daily before that.  My question is will the S40 work for me.  I have about 20 mile round trip to work (3rd shift) and use some interstate to get there.  This will be the bikes 95% function.  However,  I will make a few 100 mile round trips through congested highway.  And one or two, 200 mile round trips through an open, near deserted country highway.  If I do purchase an 05 S40 $3600, 1065 miles, I will add a pillow gel seat, Sporty muffler, lights and I think the Dakota shield.   I am concerned about comfort and outgrowing it (power).  My other choice is a 650 V-Strom,, but much more bucks.  You guys/gals have a great website.  Thanks ahead for your input!

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Re: Need Input-S40 suit my needs?
Reply #1 - 03/28/06 at 08:29:11

Welcome back to riding, I just got mine and it's been about seven years I was away. It was always there nagging me in the back of my mind. Come on Kev get another bike....

The only reason you'd need a bigger bike is if getting blown around a little on the interstate worried you. I think it's a great commuter. I think 20 miles round trip, and 100 mile weekenders is what the bike is designed for. Anyone else agree/disagree?

Kevin

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/28/06 at 08:32:52

You can always do work with the carb, or replace it to get the extra power you need, esepecially for the highway part of your journey.  Welcome back, my buddy has a Hawk

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/28/06 at 08:43:08

Comfort is relative, in part to how tall you are.  I'm 6'1" and  I have the seat raised an inch or two. Did a 30 mile round trip to work today, and 100 highway miles Sunday, most of it pushing 75mph to compete with the other traffic. Being tallish means the Savage isn't perfect for ergonomics but its OK and the more I ride the more adjusted to its demands I become.  For short hops, 20 milers or so I find it perfectly comfortable. On longer runs I begin to wonder how I could get some more stretch for my legs.

My bike is stock, and as such maxes out at 140kph/87mph. What others on this site will tell you are simple mods (carb and exhaust muffler) can increase top end by another 15mph or so.  If that suits what you're planning we're almost bound to say "GO FOR IT" but then asking us is preaching to the choir as we're all dyed-in-the-wool Savage converts.  If on the other hand you already feel you want more than the Savage can reasonably be made to offer, look elsewhere.  Reviews of the 650 V-Strom report an excellent engine, if a little vibey, but the fairing/screen is prone to odd turbulence which even adjusting its height can't cure.  Good tank range too.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 03/28/06 at 10:20:09

For what you describe - commute & trips less than 100 miles, the Savage is great for me. Assuming you're riding in warmer weather. It's a little underpowered in stock shape for interstates around me (nobody drives the speed limit anymore), but there are a lot of easy fixes. Check to see if you fit the MC. A 200 mile trip is on the outside, but doable.

If you start modifying the air flow - read what others have done it might save you from doing the piece-meal changes/learning experience. I would ride it (or any MC) a while before making wholesale modifications.

IP Logged
Taz

Bikes and boats,
Yeah!

Reply #5 - 03/28/06 at 16:15:30

400 smiles/miles on my new 2006 S40. All commute to work miles except for the mileage bringing it back from the dealers on day one. Haven't taken her over 60-65 yet. It's perfect for my intended purposes. Riding double and interststate driving will be nil or minimum at best for me. 62 MPG average so far.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 04/03/06 at 20:38:07

this is one of the last(to date)street THUMPERS 1 cyl 4 stroke..just today at a stop lite guy rolled down his window and asked "what is that?"..everyboby and their brother/in/law  makes a V twin................

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
ruffhunter

Reply #7 - 04/04/06 at 16:22:37

Well I've decided on the S40.  I went to look at 650 Vstars, but for some reason I was drawn to the new silver S40 on the show room.  I really like that color and I like the more upright seating position and flat bar position.  Well saving up a little more. Thanks

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 04/05/06 at 06:44:43

Good luck and enjoy your new MC.

IP Logged
ruffhunter

Reply #9 - 04/21/06 at 16:44:07

Well I got the silver one last Saturday and rode it home (15 minutes,leg cramped up).  Sat for a few days and put 40 miles on it yesterday in the country roads. Easy riding.  Its been over 24 hours and my back is in soo much pain I cant stand it!  My gel pillow seat will be in a few days and I hope this cures the problem or we are parting company.  On the good side, bike shifts very smooth.  No back fire at all. The bike looks great and I'm anxious to hear one with a Screaming Eagle on it for that classic thump.

IP Logged
secald
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/22/06 at 12:59:45

Good luck with the back problems, I'm 6 ft., 185, and use mine for a 30 mile round trip commute and light errands on the weekends. But I've never had a leg cramp or back ache from riding, and the bike is just a plain stock unit. What helmet are you wearing? Maybe it's throwing your neck out of alignment. You are wearing one aren't you? They can graft skin, but not new heads.

IP Logged
ruffhunter

Reply #11 - 04/22/06 at 17:36:39

I'm 5'9 230 and wear an HJC AC-12 full face helmet.  I rode it today for 20 minutes.  I discovered I've been trying to sit on the hump in the seat.  I suppose I was naturally trying to stretch out to a relaxed position. I had a back injury 10 years ago, but I also ride an ATV in southern Ohio and really dont have a problem doing that.

IP Logged
tfrawg75
2005 No Login

that's right  
I  do rock

Reply #12 - 04/22/06 at 20:29:26

this bike is a very good commuter. I ride round trip every day 120 miles all interstate and have no problems. Of course I did a few mods to the bike. jetted up, jardine pipe, drag bars, k+n drop in air filter. With the filter it really feels like I have a whole new gear.  It is great

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 04/22/06 at 20:38:04

It can work for you. You need to adapt the bike to your body, which is significantly easier/cheaper to do to a bike than a cage.

My 1998 fits me (6'2" 225 lbs) and my son (6'2" 185 lbs) perfectly. Yet, my 5'2" cashier absolutely loves the riding position as well. Seat is low enough for me to literally straddle the back fender and slide into the seat.

The bike is what you make of it. I had fun with mine stock. I had fun with it modified the first time. I'm having fun making it fit me better post-lumbar spine deterioration. It may look like a roached out piece of monkey s**t bar hopper, but it sits like a Cadillac.

I like the feel of my Savage better than either of the bigger v-twins sitting next to it. You think the S40 has a lousy seat, try a Vulcan sometime...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
secald
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/24/06 at 17:21:37

to WD... nice looking bike, wish I had the nerve to do that to mine..
For ruffhunter...I have the full HJC brain bucket also and like it better than my old Bell unit. I've also sat on the hump some days and it is uncomfortable so I learned to slide back to the passenger seat, 36" legs make that practical. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

by the way. WD how did you insert the pic, I can't get it to pick up mine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 09:27:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need Input-S40 suit my needs?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.