Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Kickstand
Reply #15 - 03/20/06 at 06:15:03

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
You guys are WAY overthinking this one...

There are bolt-on kickstand kits out there for less than $100. Just mount it further back on the frame rail.  I see them on e-pay rather frequently in the $25 range. Look in the chopper/bobber parts section (forget its actual name). One designed for an FX chassis should be just about right, if not FL chassis has a HUGE kickstand.
-WD

Good thought, thanks.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/20/06 at 07:01:27

CHRIS wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
How about finding yourself a piece of chromed whatever, cutting it to the same dimension as the foot on the stand, drilling through the kickstand and about 1/2 to 3/4 through your peice of chromed whatever, tapping that hole, threading your bolt through it with a little red loctite, this would eliminate the need to countersink for the head of the bolt or nut. Just a thought.

I got the kickstand for $14.00 delivered, I like the idea of a chrome whatever to attach to the bottom. I am not going to rush into something. I will find a piece exactly like I want if I take my time.

IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/21/06 at 18:14:31

In deference to young master Golden, I took the puck off and went to Wally World and got some of their chrome spray paint. And after the chrome paint dried (actually I got in a hurry with the first one) reattached the puck.
It does look better chromed. So maybe cutting the puck squarly along the edge of the current foot and painting it would look even  better. I have a second one and will take it to the coping saw and see what we get. If it works I'll get a photo of the completed foot. My worry with forming the puck to the foot is that if the puck moves then it is easier to break off. Still looking for something to glue the two together. And even with all of this I still only have less than $10 involved (3 pucks and a can of paint).

Bill
8)

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #18 - 03/21/06 at 18:26:14

pg,

I expect to find a PING putter head attached to your kickstand!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/21/06 at 18:29:53

Golf club epoxy is made to attach a metal head to a steel chrome shaft or a graphite shaft. I build golf clubs and I have some of this two part epoxy. I have used it for other projects and it is about as strong as you can get.  I could use a chrome wedge head as my foot. I could mount it turned open, like hitting a flop shot. The length is about right. Keep in mind I have a spare kickstand to work with, so time is on my side. Watch out my brain is buzzing!!

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #20 - 03/21/06 at 20:08:00

Have you considered using something like JBWeld to form a thicker foot?  

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/21/06 at 20:42:58

You could cut the foot off of another kickstand and match the hole in the wedge shaft, like you would if you had a larger diameter shaft you were putting into the wedge. You'd need the shaft of the kickstand just slightly smaller than the internal diameter and you could mix the glass beads from GolfSmith into the epoxy to bond it tight.
Or use a Ping Eye3 putter, or one of the older heavier metal ones.
Hm, another project. Where did I put that broken putter head?
Wink

Cheers
Bill in WTx

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 03/22/06 at 17:53:36

I have been thinking about my "wedgestand". I will have to use a left handed head for it to look and work properly. I just happen to have a brand new polished stainless steel LH gap wedge head. I will have it welded to the bottom of the new kickstand. When the kickstand is up, the face of the club will show, when it's down the sole will be on the ground and the face pointing up. I think this going to happen.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #23 - 03/23/06 at 23:28:47

pgolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Watch out my brain is buzzing!!

'

when i go there, look out world.   Shocked Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/04/06 at 19:41:06

I found someone to weld the club head to my kickstand. He told me he would use stainless steel welding rods. He said the weld itself will not rust, but  when he welds the head on, the chrome will come off the kickstand close to the weld. The head is stainless steel, but I am going to have to hide the "joint" somehow. Any suggestions?

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #25 - 04/04/06 at 20:01:10

Any suggestions?  Yea take it off, have it welded then before putting it back on have it redipped. Chrome plating is relativly inexpensive and quick for such small items. Especially if you can take it to them and pick it up.

WWW   IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 04/04/06 at 20:07:32

Where could I have it redipped. I live in a small rural town. I'm sure I will have to ship it somewhere. I still have my original stand on the bike, so I have lots of time.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 04/18/06 at 20:04:52

My "wedgestand" is welded. I will take pictures as soon as I get it rechromed and installed.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 04/20/06 at 19:31:54

Power Plating in Hackett, AR does small chrome jobs. He told me $30.00 to chrome my new "wedgestand". He said he can plate about any piece I have.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #29 - 04/20/06 at 20:23:33

Yea that price sounds about right. Small things here (NC) are similarly priced. Sorry I couldn't help with a location. The places that do this are kinda obscure, at least around here.  Wierd considering the potential money to be made. Gotta know where to look. Thank heavens for Google.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:55:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kickstand

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.