does it ever end? (Read 13 times)
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

does it ever end?
04/04/06 at 07:08:24

i got the sportster seat installed yesterday on the wife's '96. i built two brackets, the front mount is very similar to the tongue style mount that was already in use, the center mount attatches to the bottom of the seat and picks up both side mounts that the origional seat used. the rear harley seat bracket lines up exactly on the wire hole in the rear fender. i modified the taillight housing and ran the wires on top of the fender, as the taillight and fender touch, the wires are hidden between the two. "GREAT! i love it she says", but,,,,, that taillight is ugly, i want a taillight like yours. so the next mod will be a harley fat bob taillight. i'll try to get some pics up later.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Re: does it ever end?
Reply #1 - 04/04/06 at 07:30:06

I was offered the seat off a HD Dyna - would it happen to have the same mounts as yours and so be an easy fit to my '98, I wonder?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 04/04/06 at 07:41:03

i dont know if a dyna is the same, if it is free, a lot of time can be spent with it, right? i bought the sporty seat from ebay, $100.00 + $20.00 shipping, advertised as "savage seat conversion", there are a few styles to choose from, after emailing the seller, and it came with some instructions. i read his instructions, and did it my own way. the seat appears to be brand new.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/04/06 at 08:15:09

If it 'd been free I'd have tried any which way to make it fit.  But, no. He wanted too much for it to take the risk without knowing. Shame.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/04/06 at 09:08:22

i ordered the same type off ebay from the same seller im guessing..  My install was a little more difficult, but i beleive that was due to creating my own problems.  The only thing i wish was different; i wish the seat hugged the rear fender a bit lower.  My seat appeared to be in great condition, and is, except for two small tears underneath.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #5 - 04/05/06 at 07:38:03

it took a few minutes to work out, thanks for the picture post instructions.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 04/05/06 at 07:58:54

That's probably one of the best lookin' dual seats I've ever seen installed on the Savage!
'Zactly how hard was it to fab the bracket req'd to mount this seat to the stock mtg. holes?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/05/06 at 07:59:11

Looks awesome, i can't wait till this snow stops so i can go wrench a bit more and get riding on mine!

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #8 - 04/05/06 at 08:51:20

if you can cut/weld/fabricate, it is a piece of cake. the front mount was a piece of 1" strap iron 4" long with 2 holes drilled in it to mount in the origional frame holes and a 1" strap iron formed in the shape of an upsidedown "u" welded to it. the center mount is a piece of 1" angle iron 8" long, notched to clear the relocated rectifier, attatched to the harley seat with a 1/4" bolt and 4 stainless steel, sheet metal screws, with a piece of 1" strap welded to each end, and bent to match the origional frame mount angles. the end pieces are drilled and tapped for 1/4x20 threads, so there isn't any futsing with nuts and lock washers in hard to reach corners.
 i'm busy getting the harley ready for our trip to phoenix this weekend (she goes to riding school), i will post pics when we get back next week.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #9 - 04/06/06 at 03:36:56

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/suzuki-savage-96-bikepics-556598.jpg
it took a few minutes to work out, thanks for the picture post instructions.

Best looking seat arrangement on a Savage. Now install the S40 fenderrails and you're on top of the mods.
What excactly is the type of the seat? Any partnumber available?

And a picture from the underside of the seat, please
Thanks
Kropatchek Grin

BTW Looking at the color of the header You will have to rejet.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 04/07/06 at 06:31:23

the pipe was blued before i got it, i'm runnin a 155 main, 2/3 spacer, need to up the pilot still, thanks

IP Logged
Joni

Reply #11 - 04/07/06 at 22:48:27

So are you guys saying the Sportster seat will fit our Savages? I've got a friend with one - but it looks quite a bit bigger than mine.

Joni

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #12 - 04/20/06 at 19:15:02

I have this seat on mine now and it looks and feels pretty nice. If you have a pre 2004 you will have to remove your d-ring so the seat lays flat in the back. I had already done the seat modification, pushed it up in the front real tight, drilled a hole in the rear fender and bolted the seat down with a ss carriage bolt with a large washer underneath. Solid as a rock without the side mounts and looks nice
The guy who could not make it work either doesn't have a Savage or he is mechanically challenged and just gave up.
FYI

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:30:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › does it ever end?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.