Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kickstand (Read 23 times)
pgolden
Ex Member

Kickstand
03/14/06 at 07:17:46

I am bidding on a kickstand on E-bay. When I replaced my shocks, it raised the bike about 2". I am going to add 2" to the kickstand and paint it black, if I get it. I feel like the bike leans over to far like it is. I have  wood blocks stashed at the golf course by my cart shed and another one on the parking lot at work, at present.

IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Re: Kickstand
Reply #1 - 03/14/06 at 19:02:31

I got one of the regulation hockey pucks and it seems to raise mine just the right amount (not too vertical, but not looking like it is about to fall over. I tried JB Weld, I tried Gorilla Glue and I have not got a bond yet. Any suggestions on gluing the rubber puck to the foot of the kick stand.
I LOVE MY New Progressives!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 03/14/06 at 21:03:42

try a plastic bonder.  it comes in 2 part and designed to work on plastic and rubber

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 03/15/06 at 03:15:06

Drill a hole in the foot of the kickstand. Drill through the puck, reverse the puck drill a larger hole about halfway trough to take a nut and bolt the puck and stand together.
Jus my 2 bits

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 03/15/06 at 06:55:57

I like that idea but I'll have to find someplace that sells hockey pucks.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/15/06 at 09:00:21

Hockey pucks:
Big 5 here had a dozen or so in their street and other hockey supplies. Acacdemy had zip. Walmart I couldn't find anything in the way of hockey. Maybe in bigger city.
Gorilla Glue should have done it. It sticks to the puck but not the metal of the stand. I am about to go drill hole, which I had tried to avoid. Oh well. If it doesn't work it's just something else to whistle while I'm riding.
Thermometer says 70 but the winds are up again at 10-20. and cool.
Thanks for input.
Bill
WTx

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/15/06 at 18:56:11

I'm afraid the hockey puck might look like a hockey puck. I'm a CHROME FREAK so if I get the kickstand, I might just try to weld a peice on the bottom before I cut and paint.

IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/15/06 at 19:13:07

Actually the puck doesn't look too bad. I put a 10mm hole (the same as the bolts for the seat at the front) thru foot and the puck, countersunk the underside/washer-bolt and then lock washer under the nut on the top. Gives a pointy point sticking up, but it catches the boot nicer when I try to lift the kickstand.
May put something else on it. I guess you could always take the finished puck and spray it chrome colored.
It would probably melt in one of the vats they dip stuff to chrome them in (like the guys who make your baby boots into chrome/bronze ones for keepsakes).
There are other ways to get stuff chromed without the hot dip, so that is also a possible route. But the puck doesn't slide like other stuff does, so the underside needs to be natural.
Would someone in the east push some rain out this way. We are bone dry, just like we were in the 50's.
Bill
WTx

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 03/15/06 at 19:41:59

i use something called the cycle foot  it's a foot shaped peice of plastic.  i got it at the dealer  some guys were checking it out wondering what it does, as they were hung by the key chains.  i say yeah but if i put it on my key chain  then my keys lay on the ground under the kick stand. counter guy flips one over to me and say  no charge,  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 03/16/06 at 06:43:18

From what I can tell on the Cycle Foot, it's a base for keeping it from sinking (another alternative to the crushed beer can) but it wouldn't provide the added height to offset the accentuated lean caused by using higher shocks.

Even if it did, I'm gonna try the hockey puck idea since I ordered several online yesterday.  I figured at 99˘ each, I'd order a few to justify the shipping cost and I'd probably find a use for 'em sometime.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/19/06 at 14:35:06

I got the kickstand! I now have to decide how to modify it. I will probably have a peice welded to the foot.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/19/06 at 17:49:58

I was thinking about you guys that have the longer shocks on and how you can fix your lean angle.

Those of you that are trying hockey pucks, what about taking that puck, measuring the size of the existing kickstand foot, then cutting the puck exactly to fit that foot with a band saw or something similar.  Then you could bolt it to the foot and it would not be any wider than the current stand foot, and wouldn't be so noticeable?

Think that would work for ya?

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #12 - 03/19/06 at 17:59:19

How about finding yourself a piece of chromed whatever, cutting it to the same dimension as the foot on the stand, drilling through the kickstand and about 1/2 to 3/4 through your peice of chromed whatever, tapping that hole, threading your bolt through it with a little red loctite, this would eliminate the need to countersink for the head of the bolt or nut. Just a thought.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 03/19/06 at 22:31:57

You guys are WAY overthinking this one...

There are bolt-on kickstand kits out there for less than $100. Just mount it further back on the frame rail.  I see them on e-pay rather frequently in the $25 range. Look in the chopper/bobber parts section (forget its actual name). One designed for an FX chassis should be just about right, if not FL chassis has a HUGE kickstand.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/20/06 at 01:37:08

Adapting a $5 piece is overthinking?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print