Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
noise level (Read 12 times)
grapefruit
Ex Member

noise level
01/31/06 at 14:10:16

What is allowable noise level for motorcycles in your country? In Poland it is 96dB at 3/4 throttle. With my new exhaust (on the picture below) i have:

- about 86 dB at 900rpm,
- about 96 dB at 1/2 throttle,
- about 104 dB at 3/4 throttle (120 dB, or maybe 130 dB - starting jetplain Smiley)

I have to say the sound is beautiful and I'll never come back to stock muff. I just wondering what police will say about my new modification...

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: noise level
Reply #1 - 01/31/06 at 14:35:15

I think the Dyna Muffler I put on my Savage indicated that it meets the 88 dB requirements, but I haven't found any EPA regulations that require that level.

In general, noise is controlled at the local government level through nuisance ordinances.  That is, if the motorcycle is too loud, the local police can cite you to court.  THe judge can then impose a penalty or order you to replace the muffler or stop riding the motorcycle.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #2 - 01/31/06 at 14:39:50

Grapefruit...Where did you get the small sissy bar ( grab bar) behind your seat ??  many people here in the US are looking for them to purchase ??

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
grapefruit
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/31/06 at 14:45:47

SAMM, I made it myself, it is stainless steel.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #4 - 01/31/06 at 14:48:49

It looks cooool !!  I hate the original !!

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 01/31/06 at 16:29:51

I don't think in Pl any cop will know the difference. So far I have never seen a cop with Db meter. Even in the tech. stations, where they make the anual check, nobody will have it. I don't think it is such a common bike, so the cops know what exactly comes on it.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 01/31/06 at 17:24:54

my experience has shown that "it's to loud" is usually just a fishing expedition. the ticket is the penalty for them not finding anything else wrong.  8)

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #7 - 01/31/06 at 18:20:27

I don't have any experience with it, but I'll bet Sluggo is right.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #8 - 01/31/06 at 18:33:11

i know that the stock muffler with the baffles taken out can set off car alarms Grin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 01/31/06 at 18:37:40

That is good sport! buddy of mine with a roadking circles the garage at work keeping count ~40 he thinks at the same time - I can't get but about 10 or so with the jardines Grin

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #10 - 02/01/06 at 03:00:45

I set off more alarms with the rusty muffler on my car  Tongue

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #11 - 02/01/06 at 04:51:05

I'm lucky here. Live in Alabama where there is no vehicle testing of any kind. Would eliminate 50% of the cars out there. You can have a stick for a brake, it doesn't matter.
Keep that in mind if you ever visit here.
When asked by "the man" if my pipe is legal, I usually say"WHAT?".
Then I point to the writing on the pipe that says it's legal on a Harley. They don't know the difference. The only place my bike says Suzuki in on the crankcase.

'96 with harley muff with baffle punched. Kinda loud. I like it Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 02/01/06 at 05:33:44

Try the AMA's site at http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp and click on the state you want to see.  For example, TX has "no acoustical criteria" while WA shows the following:

Max A-weighted sound level as measured at 50 feet (WAC 173-62-030): 1)78dBA at 45mph or less; 2)82dBA over 45mph. Stationary 20 inch standard: Models before 1986--99dBA.

But most of the time on the road accurate measurement is probably just not possible.  I'd bet the only place it could be accurately measured would be at an inspection center but I doubt they go to the expense.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #13 - 02/01/06 at 09:30:57

At one time Seattle PD were using a decibel meter on the motorcycles coming off the Washington State Ferry system. The bicycles and motorcycles get first on and first off privledges so when they open exhaust bikes leave and go up the ramp it gets pretty noisy. Most times if the state/city doesn't have an ordinance the Federal rules apply if they know what they are. As one who has lost most of his hearing due to loud noise in the workplace I run a baffled heavy wall quality muffler and it easily provides a more appealing sound and appearance but w/o a noise level that will get others attention. HD makes mufflers good for this option, they have much heavier wall thickness and decent size perforations in and out of the glasspac area and stock has a center baffle. With the much discussed 10 deg 7 inch adapter it does make a great low cost option. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/01/06 at 10:10:12

I run a Jardine with NO baffle and where I'm at here just north of St. Louis on the Illinois side we have the " River Road " which during the season is a bike fest every weekend. You have 40 miles of highway that run right next to the Mississippi River so the view is awesome. Anyway back to the subject... around here unless your bike is just so obscenely loud , the police don't mess with people too much... that and the fact that there are just so many bikes out there at one time, the police spend more time checkin out the bikes rather that messin with people......(usually) lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:43:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › noise level

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.