Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Electronic accessory (Read 8 times)
Houston_Toad
Ex Member

Electronic accessory
01/14/06 at 16:52:20

Anyone put an electronic accessory on their Savage?

For $200, I've just installed on my S40, a trip meter, odometer, speedometer, clock, compass and oh yes, a mapping GPS. The unit is "hard wired" to the bike's electrical system.

Here is a picture of it installed.

And a close up---

The tracking feature records the time, location, and speed of the trip.

Since there is no accessories mode, I want to fix (once the warranty runs out) the

headlight, so it doesn't light unless the motor is running.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Electronic accessory
Reply #1 - 01/14/06 at 17:03:42

interesting add on.   how will it hold up in inclement wx.  
i sure wouldn't leave it outside anywhere.  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Houston_Toad
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/14/06 at 17:11:45

The mount is a quick disconnect and without batteries it doesn't weigh very much.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #3 - 01/14/06 at 17:21:51

that looks really cool! garmin makes a great product Wink.

the only electronic accessory i'd put on my bike would be a cig lighter Grin

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 01/14/06 at 17:40:34

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
that looks really cool! garmin makes a great product Wink.

the only electronic accessory i'd put on my bike would be a cig lighter Grin

i was going to say something like that also, but houston toad is a newbee and i didn't want to sound harsh.  the rest of you know my thoughts about add ons.  if it don't make the machine go/stop or legally required, it gets stripped off.  Shocked

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 01/14/06 at 17:56:21

I will shortly be adding the Veypor motorcycle computer.  When it goes on the current speedo and tach are gone.  Hopefully this will happen within a couple of weeks.

IP Logged
Richard Amiault

Reply #6 - 01/14/06 at 18:37:23

Nice job! ... I own an earlier version of that .. the Garmin III  .. but I use that in the car to feed my ham radio with my current location.

I found a deal on the Garmin E-Map (discontinuted for a while now) .. added a memory card and bought Garmin's CD with street level maps .. then was lucky enough to find a bicycle mount for it .. so it (the mount anyway) is on the Savage.  I don't use it much .. but it's nice to have the option.  (acutally the E-Map spends most of it's time in the car .. yes, I have two in the car .. because the detail of the E-Map maps is better than the III .. plus the III is not is a easy position to view while driving)

For the bike I didn't bother to hard wire it in, so I use the internal batteries on the Garmin.

One problem is that more than once when I tried using it .. the darn thing shut itself off in the middle of the ride .. I'm not sure why.

Nice thing about it is the Garmin is *purple* and so is the bike;-)   (2004)

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 01/14/06 at 18:42:41

Richard Amiault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
One problem is that more than once when I tried using it .. the darn thing shut itself off in the middle of the ride .. I'm not sure why.

i believe it's a vibration or sudden shock.  next time it shuts off see if it corralates to a recent bump in road.

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #8 - 01/14/06 at 21:57:08

Cant' really do that ... got to keep my eyes on the road!  Can only glance down once in a while at the GPS .. or else I'd be Road Rash Wink

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/14/06 at 22:34:18

I did like my electronic speedo and almost miss it.  It was nice to have a tripometer but I dont think all that gps stuff is needed for me personally. It would be ideal on long trips and u did a nice job.  I got my sigma  because the speedo is in the tank and I got sick of looking down everytime I wanted to see how fast I was going.

I think I might reinstall it and maybe a cig lighter too.
If I broke down it would be nice to use it if my phone was dead.

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/15/06 at 07:39:15

That looks like a great add on, but I'm poor so I have to stick with my $10 bicycle speedometer, which I think is one of the better mods that I have done to the bike.  I no longer guess at how far I've gone since that last fill up.  The clock also comes in handy too.

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #11 - 01/15/06 at 09:38:24

I have a darn European clock in Km/h... Yes we have Mph here in the UK, LMAO  Tongue

Iv been trying to roll back my Mph clock to the right milage for the motor, but it would take about a year on a drill...

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #12 - 01/15/06 at 09:39:46

Toatally agree with you there...

Altho the GPS does come off... in which case you could get rid of the Clock and fill in the hole Wink

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
i was going to say something like that also, but houston toad is a newbee and i didn't want to sound harsh.  the rest of you know my thoughts about add ons.  if it don't make the machine go/stop or legally required, it gets stripped off.  Shocked

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 01/17/06 at 05:47:40

Had one in a marine application that could take the pounding but not the heat - it would shutdown anytime the air temp was near 100f

IP Logged
Houston_Toad
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/17/06 at 12:57:43

For the bike I didn't bother to hard wire it in, so I use the internal batteries on the Garmin.

That is one reason I hard wired the unit.  I noticed that if I jar the unit, it shuts off.  I think its the heavy batteries momentarily loosing connection.

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Had one in a marine application that could take the pounding but not the heat - it would shutdown anytime the air temp was near 100f

I have a GPS 12 (now for 7 years) that I keep in my truck just inside the windshield. It also is hard wired to the battery and stays on all the time. When it sets in the "Texas" sun, it gets so hot (the unit is black) that the display disappears, but once it cools down everything looks and works OK.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:43:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electronic accessory

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.