Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Belt Chirp
Reply #15 - 01/24/06 at 13:26:55

i too am a no clutch shifter and have no difficulities.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 01/24/06 at 15:56:44

Hay Greg thanks for the great info.  I’ve just started riding and have a lot to learn.  I checked the belt and it will twist 90 deg. but no farther so I believe it’s adjusted right.

bburson853 I forgot about that method of quieting a squeaky belt.  I've done that on several car fan belts over the years.  Paraffin wax also works.

RadarORiley and sluggo that’s what it feels like when it does go into gear, speed shifting.

Thanks for all the input everyone and if anyone else has any ideas please chime in.

SOMD

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 01/24/06 at 18:41:40

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Greg, I often shift with out the clutch. It's a habit of many years. Was taught that by Dad and how to listen for the right sound before you shift. Find myself doing it without thinking. I also gear it down instead of braking, but I need to change that habit, it doesn't give the guy following me a clue that I'm slowing down. There was a picture of a couple in a wreck in our local paper recently. The wife plowed into husband when he stopped in front of her. Had to tow both bikes off. Would hate for that to happen to me.

I hear what you say.  Been there and done that.

Why do I ask?  'Cause I've actually split cases and changed transmission gears on my own bikes.  And the best that I could figure was that I didn't use the clutch....which if you think about is why they make clutches.  Right?  

My last was a Yamaha DT 400 with a bad 5th gear....the engaging "dogs" on the side of the gears get burred and rounded and it either won't engage or it won't stay engaged.  That happens from not using the clutch to slow the spinning shaft.

Just think about it.  Millions of bikers, riding around, shifting without a clutch, and then they sell the bike to someone else and trade up.  Not everyone shifts flawlessly or without it going "crunch".

....I'm just offering brain food.  Eat if you're hungry.

IP Logged
StevieK
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 01/25/06 at 02:10:11

On the problem of downshifting without braking, on my last bike I had the front brake lever adjusted so that with a tiny amount of pull it would activate the little piston thingy that lights up the brake light just before it actually activated the brake. You could then slow down with the gears and still have your brake light on, though it was a bit tricky to keep it on as you went down the gears.

It was also *very* useful when a car driver was too close behind. A quick twitch of the brake lever and he'd slam his anchors on while I sailed on at the same speed.  Grin

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 01/25/06 at 04:53:04

I hear ya.  Lee Parks talks about speed shifting in Total Control.  Racers upshift running at WOT without the clutch by pre-loading the shifter and blipping the gas.  At lower RPMs, and for downshifting, they do use the clutch.

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I hear what you say.  Been there and done that.

Why do I ask?  'Cause I've actually split cases and changed transmission gears on my own bikes.  And the best that I could figure was that I didn't use the clutch....which if you think about is why they make clutches.  Right?  

My last was a Yamaha DT 400 with a bad 5th gear....the engaging "dogs" on the side of the gears get burred and rounded and it either won't engage or it won't stay engaged.  That happens from not using the clutch to slow the spinning shaft.

Just think about it.  Millions of bikers, riding around, shifting without a clutch, and then they sell the bike to someone else and trade up.  Not everyone shifts flawlessly or without it going "crunch".

....I'm just offering brain food.  Eat if you're hungry.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 01/25/06 at 05:51:14

Back to the original topic for a second - a proper adjusted belt will chirp a little at times - mostly just when it's wet - so far as putting various stuff on the belt - remember this belt runs just a few inches above the ground and as such is in a constant dirt and grit storm, anything put on the belt that catches and holds this stuff is likely to shorten the drive systems life - the front pulley is steel but the rear is softer aluminum - I have read that some baby powder should be ok - for me i just keep it adjusted (90deg method) and clean as possible.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #21 - 01/25/06 at 06:05:19

yeah,if u put soap on the belt your just covering up the problem,instead of fixing it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 01/25/06 at 06:20:24

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I hear ya.  Lee Parks talks about speed shifting in Total Control.  Racers upshift running at WOT without the clutch by pre-loading the shifter and blipping the gas.  At lower RPMs, and for downshifting, they do use the clutch.

Yep, but remember that you can't drive like a racer on the street.  Racers go to the track with an all or nothing attitude to win.  They push their machines to the limit.  They aren't concerned with the consequences of extreme wear and tear.  After all, they intend to rebuild and repair it after the race.  Is this what everyone else plans to do?

No one says that you can't shift without a clutch, and it is  pretty easy to do.   However, the clutch is there for a reason other than just easing the bike off at the start. It is intended to reduced the torque load on the gears before they engage because they are spinning at different speeds.  You can "blip" the throttle to assist in this but it still isn't as smooth.  The bike jerks for a reason.

From time to time, I do pop it up a gear, but never under a load.  This might happen 'cause my left and is busy picking my nose or scratching an annoying itch.  It happens, but 99.99 percent of the time, I clutch.

In this case, I didn't actually answer the question about why it won't go into 5th gear,  Instead I tried to offer a reason why it might not.  Gear damage.  I don't know.  It could be something else, but I assume that pesky things like shifter linkage adjustment are not an issue.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #23 - 01/25/06 at 09:32:53

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Greg, I often shift with out the clutch. It's a habit of many years. Was taught that by Dad and how to listen for the right sound before you shift. Find myself doing it without thinking. I also gear it down instead of braking, but I need to change that habit, it doesn't give the guy following me a clue that I'm slowing down. There was a picture of a couple in a wreck in our local paper recently. The wife plowed into husband when he stopped in front of her. Had to tow both bikes off. Would hate for that to happen to me.

Hi Radar,

FWIW, anytime I'm decelerating w/o braking (even if I'm just rolling off the gas and not downshifting), I twitch the front brake lever several times to give cagers warning that I'm slowing down.  The habit is so second-nature w/ me that I don't even realize I'm doing it anymore.

As far as shifting w/o the clutch, anyone who rides (or used to) ride motocross does this ALL the time while riding a motocross bike.  You guys simply wouldn't believe how much the gearbox on a motocross bike gets hammered.

Having said that, I always clutch during shifts on street bikes.  I guess I just can't think of any reason not too!

Ride safe!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 01/25/06 at 14:04:04

Hay everyone I think I found it.  The push rod from the foot leaver to the shift arm is bent.  By the picture in the book it’s suppose to be straight.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 01/25/06 at 14:15:27

Hehe, that's from stomping on it to downshift when sitting still.  You have to feather the clutch and downshift easily.  It's a pretty cheap part at RonAyers.com.  I keep a spare now, just in case.  I never had a problem upshifting because of it though; just downshifting.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 01/25/06 at 14:15:55

Do you speak english at home?

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Yep, but remember that you can't drive like a racer on the street.  Racers go to the track with an all or nothing attitude to win.  They push their machines to the limit.  They aren't concerned with the consequences of extreme wear and tear.  After all, they intend to rebuild and repair it after the race.  Is this what everyone else plans to do?

No one says that you can't shift without a clutch, and it is  pretty easy to do.   However, the clutch is there for a reason other than just easing the bike off at the start. It is intended to reduced the torque load on the gears before they engage because they are spinning at different speeds.  You can "blip" the throttle to assist in this but it still isn't as smooth.  The bike jerks for a reason.

From time to time, I do pop it up a gear, but never under a load.  This might happen 'cause my left and is busy picking my nose or scratching an annoying itch.  It happens, but 99.99 percent of the time, I clutch.

In this case, I didn't actually answer the question about why it won't go into 5th gear,  Instead I tried to offer a reason why it might not.  Gear damage.  I don't know.  It could be something else, but I assume that pesky things like shifter linkage adjustment are not an issue.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #27 - 01/25/06 at 14:18:13

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Do you speak english at home?

Huh?  I must speak Greg.  I understood it perfectly.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 01/25/06 at 15:41:12

Thanks Savage_Rob it should be here by next Wednesday.  It was $13 including shipping.  This Saturday I’ll pull the old one off straighten it and go for a test ride.

SOMD

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 01/26/06 at 04:10:44

Since niether of you seem to be able to read what I write perhaps a video will do.  My friend Jimmy at the Gap:

http://www.fbcstuff.com/hs2020/Deals%20GapRun1.wmv
http://www.fbcstuff.com/hs2020/Deals%20GapRun2.wmv

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Huh?  I must speak Greg.  I understood it perfectly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:36:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt Chirp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.