Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Belt Chirp (Read 29 times)
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Belt Chirp
01/22/06 at 16:19:19

Hi All,

Here’s one for ya.  Yesterday while riding I noticed a chirping sound at low speed.  I traced it out to be the belt riding agents the inside wall of the rear drive pulley.  Can I chock up the bike so the back wheel is off the ground, start the engine, put the bike in gear, and adjust the rear wheel so the belt rides the center of the pulley?  The index marks for the rear axel are at the same mark on both sides.  Does this mean there’s some other problem?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SOMD

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Belt Chirp
Reply #1 - 01/22/06 at 16:40:32

actually, it is a common sound. on mine it happens when damp out. like my wife i just tune it out.  Grin

do a site seach  for sqeaky belt, that should bring up the past threads  set the results to the highest number to get better results.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/22/06 at 16:49:29

Thanks Sluggo.  When it happens can I hit it with a little belt spray to quiet it?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 01/22/06 at 17:33:11

SouthernMD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Thanks Sluggo.  When it happens can I hit it with a little belt spray to quiet it?

dunno, never tried it.. will it work on the wife  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/22/06 at 17:38:28

I just tried it on mine.  It didn't work.  I'll try the belt tomorrow

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 01/22/06 at 18:35:32

nada - should not put any thing on the belts - maybe a little too tight as well

IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/23/06 at 01:25:45

Thanks Reelthing, gotchya nothing on the belt.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 01/23/06 at 12:21:27

If you'll reach down there and push pull on the pulley, you'll see that there is play at the pulley because it drives the wheel with rubber bushings.  It isn't directly attached to the wheel, therefore aligning the wheel doesn't necessarily mean anything. ...and actually if you raise the rear wheel up and spin the tire, you'll see that the belt will wander side to side inside the pulley anyway.

What causes that chirping sound with a dry belt is too much tension.  Back off both adjusters equally until you can twist the belt 90 degrees on the lower side.  Tighten her her up, and the chirp will be gone.

Oh, and please don't spin the tire with the engine, unless you're gonna post photos  8)

IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/23/06 at 14:24:40

Thanks Greg I’ve read a lot of your replies to posts and for my money if you say it’s so I’ll bet on it.  From your other comment I’m guessing spinning the back tire with it blocked up off the ground is not a good idea.  I have to ask why ????

There was a second issue I found on my ride last Saturday.  I could not get the bike to go into 5th gear until I got up to about 70 mph.  Does this mean my clutch needs adjusting?

Thanks for the advice

SOMD

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 01/24/06 at 06:46:51

SouthernMD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Thanks Greg I’ve read a lot of your replies to posts and for my money if you say it’s so I’ll bet on it.

Thanks, but I really just pass on my own mistakes.

Quote:
 From your other comment I’m guessing spinning the back tire with it blocked up off the ground is not a good idea.  I have to ask why ????

Once again, read above Smiley

....a bike tire is not perfectly balanced, nor with a belt or chain is it exactly free of backlash.  If you block it up and run the bike, the rear tire will jerk and bounce very hard.  The reason being that it won't have a load or any resistance to the engine.  The engine will spin really free  That is a recipe for the bike coming off the blocks while you are sitting there looking at the tire spin.

I've done that, except for the "coming off the blocks" part.  Just not a secure situation.  Block it up and spin it by hand.  That works just as well.

Quote:
There was a second issue I found on my ride last Saturday.  I could not get the bike to go into 5th gear until I got up to about 70 mph.  Does this mean my clutch needs adjusting?

Thanks for the advice

SOMD

I'm not sure.  A clutch issue is likely to give you trouble in all gears not just 5th.  

Once again from my experience....Has anyone ever made a habit of shifting the bike without the clutch?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 01/24/06 at 06:53:06

Oh and by the way...I once had a belief in using the Savage belt tension gauge (if you have it).  It takes some tinkering and experimentation, but it works.  Just a bit tedious since you can't spin the tire with it in place.....check, remove, adjust, spin tire, reinstall, check, adjust, spin tire, reinstall....on and on.

Therefore I admit that I adopted the 90 degree rule at the suggestion of member Kropachek.  It is much faster and simpler.  He gets the credit.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 01/24/06 at 07:51:27

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Oh and by the way...I once had a belief in using the Savage belt tension gauge (if you have it).  It takes some tinkering and experimentation, but it works.  Just a bit tedious since you can't spin the tire with it in place.....check, remove, adjust, spin tire, reinstall, check, adjust, spin tire, reinstall....on and on.

Therefore I admit that I adopted the 90 degree rule at the suggestion of member Kropachek.  It is much faster and simpler.  He gets the credit.

Thank you. 8)

Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 01/24/06 at 08:11:35

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Thank you. 8)

Kropatchek Grin

And one of these days, I might be able to spell your name right, too?
Tongue

IP Logged
bburson853
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/24/06 at 08:40:29

Rub edges of belt with bar of Ivory soap -- noise will go away and if mis-alignment not bad will stay away for a very long time.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #14 - 01/24/06 at 12:51:55

Greg, I often shift with out the clutch. It's a habit of many years. Was taught that by Dad and how to listen for the right sound before you shift. Find myself doing it without thinking. I also gear it down instead of braking, but I need to change that habit, it doesn't give the guy following me a clue that I'm slowing down. There was a picture of a couple in a wreck in our local paper recently. The wife plowed into husband when he stopped in front of her. Had to tow both bikes off. Would hate for that to happen to me.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:27:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt Chirp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.