Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
pipe size (Read 132 times)
shawn_b
Ex Member

pipe size
01/19/06 at 12:11:35

what is the size of the head pipe ??? i am trying to get a new muffler and i dont know the size    

thank  shawn 8)

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: pipe size
Reply #1 - 01/19/06 at 12:48:42

1.75" OD  or darn near close.  A 1.75" ID pipe will work quite well.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #2 - 01/19/06 at 13:52:16

I found that a 1.75" ID tailpipe did not fit to make my 6" 10 degree adapter.  On my '06 there is a small (3/4" or 1") extension sleave out the header pipe that is darn near to 1.75" OD.  But then the header itself was closer to 1-11/16" OD.  I've seen on this list somebody measured it at 1-21/32" (I think I'm quoting correctly).  I had to take my 1.75" ID pipe to a shop to have them open it to fit on the header so I had more to grab under the clamp.

Pull the pipe and measure yours.  Stock pipe is easy enough to get back on to ride while you wait for your new muffler to arrive.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0372/muffler/muffler.cfm?man=su&groupid=704...

Look at how part #1 connects to part #5.  This is like 1.75" or so.  But it wasn't enough "meat" for me to feel good about it holding on without leaks.  The drawing is not to scale.  It looks like that end bit is like a couple of inches, but it wasn't on my bike.

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 01/19/06 at 17:45:17

I'm about to pull my exhaust off in the next couple days.
I've already bought a HD slash cut muffler, under the impression that the Savage header was 1.5" OD, and the HD muff being 1.75" ID, therefore requiring a spacer or reducer to make for a good fit. Could someone please confirm or deny this?

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 01/19/06 at 18:44:20

tell you what - I have a pipe off right now, a new gasket in hand from a '02 savage - there's several places one could measure - I'll shoot a picture, mic it for detail

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #5 - 01/19/06 at 18:47:55

My exhaust pipe has a smaller pipe that extends about 4 or 6 inches past the chromed part of the exhaust.  It would not slide all the way inside the HD muffler.

This is not shown on diagrams.  I'm starting to think it might be part of the muffler that came out.  

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #6 - 01/19/06 at 19:12:14

necropsy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I'm about to pull my exhaust off in the next couple days.
I've already bought a HD slash cut muffler, under the impression that the Savage header was 1.5" OD, and the HD muff being 1.75" ID, therefore requiring a spacer or reducer to make for a good fit. Could someone please confirm or deny this?

I bought a HD Sportster muffler and reducer ring.  I could have bolted that right up to the stock header with some degree of twisting and pushing.  Problem was two-fold:
1.  I didn't like the small amount of overlap that this condition allowed for.
2.  I didn't like my muffler pointed at my rear end...so to speak.

I'll post a rough look at my connection detail as soon as AOL and I are back on speaking terms...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 01/19/06 at 19:34:49

I am sure I put a 1.75" ID cherry bomb on my savage.  from jegs, part number 289-24210,

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002...

pic:

Due to the large body diameter, it fit right onto the stock muffler bracket without a problem.  It is held on with a strap clamp.

I took the CB to the shop at work and put two slits into one end to make sure it would fit easily.  I did not need them at all.  I sealed it up with some high temp (red) RTV sealant.

From what I understand, a lot of the HD mufflers need some sort of 10 degree bend in there to make them work okay.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 01/19/06 at 19:37:11

Steve,

I bet you have an aftermarket header pipe from somewhere.  Did you buy yours used?  There is definiteley not 5 or 6" past the chroem on the stock header, at least not on my '97, and I doubt that suzuki has ever changed the header.  It's mroe like 2" or so on a stock header.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #9 - 01/19/06 at 20:01:46

I bought it used a couple of months ago.  It may well be some sort of after market exhaust pipe, but it looks exactly like the stock pictures I've seen and fits the bike perfectly.

The extension on mine as a part that looks like ceramic. I was very suprised to see that, but I didn't try to remove it.

I'll try to remove the muffer and take a pic tomorrow if I get a chance.  I'd like to know if it's standard.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 01/19/06 at 20:40:55

Well the text didn't turn out too good so - the section on the left that refers to the first step - the pipe size here is 1 9/16" diameter and about 3/8" long until the real step up - the section on the right refers to where the gasket should go and is the real fitment area - the pipe here 1 11/16" and 1 15/16" long - the stock mica or what ever it is - is roughly 1/16" thick(sorry that's a copper crush gasket for the engine head pictured) making a hd pipe with an inside diameter of 1 3/4" a perfect fit

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #11 - 01/19/06 at 21:03:08

Yep, that's how mine looks.  So no reduce sleeve is required, correct?

I guess I was assuming that the the reducer sleeve was required, so that the rear part was removeable.  The Dyna mufffler I have will not fit all the way up to the little flange, but if that entire area is suitable tof clamping, it would fit fine with the stock gasket.

BTW the Dyna muffler has slots cut in the sleeve, so it will expand or contract easily, maybe and 1/8 " in circumference.

Steve

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #12 - 01/20/06 at 08:49:17

That clears it up - Thanks Reelthing!

I guess my tailpipe was 1-3/4" OD...??? and thats why I needed to get the end flared out...I'll take some measurements tonight.

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #13 - 01/29/06 at 12:19:14

Great info here, is the copper ring removable from the headpipe, if so how?
Thanks

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 01/29/06 at 13:27:12

You know i got that wrong - the gasket for the head to pipe seal is much different - it's only about 1/4" high before you crush it with a high temp coating of some sort - the copper clad one here is one of the two different muffler to pipe gaskets - the other one is a  softer stuff - you can remove them all - now if they'll seal again is the question - sometimes - but that's why I have several - sometimes not    

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:07:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › pipe size

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.