Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kuryakyn grips or Barsnake for vibration problem? (Read 34 times)
The Newstrums
Ex Member

Kuryakyn grips or Barsnake for vibration problem?
04/05/06 at 17:56:52

I need to reduce the vibration in my handlebars.  Too many years of waitressing has left me with minor carpal-tunnel symptoms, which worsen on long rides with my new ( 500 miles so far ) 2005 S40.  I read somewhere that the S40 has welded in vibration dampeners, thus making a Barsnake impossible.  Is this correct?  If so, can they be removed to make way for the Barsnake, and is this even worth it ?  I've read that the Kuryakyn grips dampen vibration significantly.  I do have some budgetary constraints and must pick one or the other option.  Which is the better way to go?  Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,

Sarah

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: Kuryakyn grips or Barsnake for vibration probl
Reply #1 - 04/05/06 at 20:54:21

I just installed the Kuryakyns last Saturday.  My experience is that they do dampen vibration significantly vs. the OEM grips, however there is still some vibration present.  

I guess my question would be this.  When you ride, how tightly are you gripping the bars?  Sometimes you can be gripping tighter unconsciously and not be aware of it.  That can add to the discomfort you will feel in your hand.

Barsnakes, I can't comment on because I've never tried them.  That said, our bikes are known to be a bit of a shaker, so you probably won't get much better than a good set of grips, IMHO.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 04/05/06 at 20:57:12

I haven't been able to run with my Kuryakyn grips yet but have used similiar ones on a HD and they are very comfortable.   I went that way for size rather than an vibration concerns. IMHO any bar vibration indicates other problems.  Experience tells me to double check all the engine mount fasterners for correct tightness, make sure the tires, especially the front is balanced or that on your new bike the weight(s) haven't been knocked off. Yes the bar is already plugged so a bar snake isn't a easy option. They also sell gel palm gloves that some folks say helps. Olympia Glove I think, depending on your hand size and taste, I have a set I'll give you if it will help. Size is X/L,black with gaunlet. leave me a psersonal message if they will work for you. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #3 - 04/06/06 at 03:41:39

When I replaced my stock bars with Sportster bars the vibes went up because there weren't weights in them. The Kuryakyn ISO grips helped. I also tried the Barsnake but it was rubbish. The problem with the barsnake is that it doesn't fit into the bar. I tried EVERYTHING & it went a few inches into the bar & got stuck. You have to lube it with soapy water & pull on a wire on one end of the 'snake while pushing on the other end. Eventually the wire broke & I replaced it with a stronger cable, used Mobil 1 oil, heated the handlebar & chilled the 'snake in the refrigerator. No luck. The Barsnake it a total waste of $45 & a weekend.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/06/06 at 07:42:42

I have had my Kuryakyn grips for over a year now and they are awesome.  I cant feel any vibration and I can see my bike shakin a lil at stoplights.  ALso, u can get kewl attachments for it like the throttle boss, endcaps, leather fringe, and even a helmet lock.  The only thing u have to do is cut down the ridges on the throttle sleeve so it will fit snug and use the glue provided with em.

I found mine on ebaymotors for a great price.  good luck

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 04/06/06 at 08:03:07

I'm still using stock bars and Kuryakyn ISO grips and I love them.  I have a set of stock flat handlebars from an '87 that I may decide to use at some point but I'd definitely put the Kuryakyns on them too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #6 - 04/06/06 at 12:43:03

Hello Sarah,

yes the S40 has something in those bars, we looked, does not appear removable, or at least easily.

The Kuryakyn grips are great,  I , too have minor carpal tunnel and the Kuryakyn grips are larger in diameter than stock which eases my grip.

After the first 1000 miles or so of riding my carpal tunnel eased on its own, I did wear wrist braces on rides for a short time.  I think the initial stress of clutch lever gripping and wrapping my fingers around the stock grips just aggravated mine for a while.

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
The Newstrums
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/06/06 at 12:57:12

Good to hear, thank you.

Sarah

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #8 - 04/06/06 at 17:14:09

I'm so glad to be riding I don't even notice vibrating handlebars. 8)

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #9 - 04/27/06 at 21:42:43

Can you tell me please the exact diameter size of the grips?

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
bones2953
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/28/06 at 14:20:54

i installed a throttle rocker, cause i have carpel to. $10.00 most places. allows my wrist to do the work so i don't grip so hard. give'em a try.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/28/06 at 18:03:09

Lion wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Can you tell me please the exact diameter size of the grips?

As best as I could measure, I'd say about 1 5/8" in diameter. I like the extra girth since I wear 3XL gloves but I don't think they would feel too thick for most people. The stock grips had my fingertips digging into my palms. The ISO grips seem to have built-in bar weights in the ends, or at least they sort of felt like it & the rubber does a nice job of cushioning too. Been happy with mine.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #12 - 05/01/06 at 07:50:00

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
As best as I could measure, I'd say about 1 5/8" in diameter. I like the extra girth since I wear 3XL gloves but I don't think they would feel too thick for most people. The stock grips had my fingertips digging into my palms. The ISO grips seem to have built-in bar weights in the ends, or at least they sort of felt like it & the rubber does a nice job of cushioning too. Been happy with mine.

Oops... I mean the inside diameter of the grip coz I want to change it and don't know what to buy.  I think it is 1" and 7/8". Am I right?

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 05/02/06 at 07:07:21

The stock Savage bars are 1".  I'd suggest you take a look in the Tech Ref section.  That stat is probably listed but even better, the specific accessories and stuff already used by many others have been listed in several threads.  One such thread is called Accessories and contains lots of this info.  One of the items listed is, in fact, Kuryakyn Universal ISO Grips (6240).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
AnnB
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/14/06 at 21:25:40

Smiley I put on the Iso grips too, with the throttle boss.  Really feels great for me

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:13:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kuryakyn grips or Barsnake for vibration problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.