Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Winter project: suggestions anyone? (Read 2 times)
JMAC
Ex Member

Winter project: suggestions anyone?
01/19/06 at 12:11:20

Greetings all!

I will be loading up the savage and taking it to my father’s place to begin its 'rejuvenation'.
This will be my first bike project.

Right now the bike is mechanically very sound. But it was stored outside most of its life and suffered a minor parking lot drop (duh!). So needless to say it is shabby looking.

I would like to freshen it up, but I am a little overwhelmed as to where to start.

Here are my questions: has anyone ever done a similar clean-up job to their bike? And if so, where did you start?

I understand this is kind of a vague request. But any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jmac

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Winter project: suggestions anyone?
Reply #1 - 01/19/06 at 12:39:05

well it's hard too say really,but if it is in decent running order i'd paint the tank,side covers, and fenders.then replace all the rusted crap,and polish all the aluminium.(this is the qwickest and cheapest way to go)

u also have to decide if u want to paint the frame ,and totally rebuild the carb and motor...and check everything on the bike to make sure its up to par,so u know the whole bike will run good for many years.(this is what i'd do)

it all depends on how far u want to take the restoration,and how much cash u want to spend.

good luck

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 01/19/06 at 12:51:41

I would start with the mechanicals, rejet the carb, change the exhaust, brakes and tires,  before bobbing or repainting. Different mods can be lumped together like a bob job along with new paint or cleaning up the wheels and spokes with new tires. Every cage that I've rebuilt had the paint and bodywork done last. That way the paint doesn't get beat up while wrenching. Make a list of what you want to do and plan ahead. Check the search function for the different changes you are thinking of performing and ask questions. Luck on the bike.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 01/19/06 at 13:04:24

chop into a bobber.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
bobtreat
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/19/06 at 14:54:34

Get it mechanically safe to ride,brake system,throttle operating correct an clutch.Replace what's broke,torn or missing.Head light turn signals an tail light.Than ride it,Pretty paint jobs don't make it run any better.New grips and mirros are inexpensive.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 01/19/06 at 19:32:29

You say the bike is mechanically sound, so it looks like you want to do a cosmetic restoration. The first thing I would do is clean up the engine with varsol and a brush. Take off the wheels next and do a good job of cleaning them. Use SOS pads or steel wheel on the spokes then shine up the hub with a metal polish. I recommend Autosol. Use chrome polish on the rim. With the wheels off you can better clean the swingarm and underside of the engine. If the painted surface is not going to be resprayed, I would rub it down with rubbing compound, then follow with polish then a couple of coats of wax. If the chrome is lightly pitted or lightly rusted you can restore it with chrome polish and elbow grease. Take off the complete exhaust system so you can get at the underside and clean it properly. This will keep you busy for several days. Let us know how you are making out.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 01/19/06 at 19:41:37

find a better tail light and seat, get rid of the blinkers.  If you don't have to have the bike inspected, you can yank the horn too and remove the left side switch housing entirely.  

See this post for details:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Braided SS brake lines can never hurt.

Replace bulb in headlight with one that doesn't suck.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 15:20:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter project: suggestions anyone?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.