Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Adapting the Stock Muffler? (Read 32 times)
cigaro
Ex Member

Adapting the Stock Muffler?
01/16/06 at 11:17:25

Besides drilling holes or taking out a baffle, has anyone tried adapting or customizing the stock muffer? I like the look of my stock muffler, just wondered if there was anything that could be done to it? And what is there in a Harley muffler that makes it better?

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Re: Adapting the Stock Muffler?
Reply #1 - 01/16/06 at 20:05:09

A stock Harley muffler allows more air flow than the stock Savage muffler.  This creates a deeper slightly louder sound and allows for more horsepower when done with the proper re-jet.  I didn't try to drill the stock muffler because I didn't like the looks, but if you dig the stock muffler, I'm sure somebody has experience with drilling it out...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 01/16/06 at 20:10:31

the best stock mod i've read it the Hartman Mod.
next best is the steel rod mod.  take a piece of rebar, insert into small hole,  blast away with a sledge, it will take a few wacks.

i guess the key to your statement is "if you like the looks",  few do.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #3 - 01/17/06 at 08:11:12

cigaro wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Besides drilling holes or taking out a baffle, has anyone tried adapting or customizing the stock muffer?
what else can u do ???

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/17/06 at 09:18:59

The best part about the Harley muffler is that it's pretty cheap, and a few pounds lighter.  Installing one is a quick & easy mod.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 01/18/06 at 13:06:50

The stock HD muffler is smaller, lighter, the quality of the item is WAY better than the tin can that Suzuki  made /material, manufacturing and the chrome/. If You like the looks of the original, go with the mentioned above mod. Gutting the stock Suz. item just makes it to sound like sh1t.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
simplyput2600
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/18/06 at 15:34:21

how do you go about putting a harley muffler on a Savage. and then do you have to rejet. lets say i put a sportster muffler on

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #7 - 01/18/06 at 18:08:40

simplyput2600 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
how do you go about putting a harley muffler on a Savage. and then do you have to rejet. lets say i put a sportster muffler on

If you search on this topic, you'll find a bunch of information.  Some just bolt it right up to the header and create a bracket to the stock mounting.  Others get a 6-8" tailpipe adapter bent at 10 degrees or so to make sure the sportster muff doesn't blow gak at the rear brakes - that's what I did.  I (so far) am at a 152.5 main and stock pilot.  Generally "yes" you have to re-jet if you want to run safe and smooth...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #8 - 01/19/06 at 07:35:32

Do yourself a huge favor and lose the stock muffler. It is ugly, sounds ugly, it's constrictive and heavy to boot. Get yourself a Harley Dyna muffler and be amazed ...
Ike

(Shameless plug) I do sell dyna mufflers  Grin

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #9 - 01/19/06 at 07:57:45

I agree..... so I went down to the local Harley dealer where they supposedly have a bin full of removed stock mufflers they will almost give away as most HD buyers seem to opt for the Screaming Eagle upgrade.  New parts they only sell in pairs.  When I asked to see the "Dyna" muffler the parts guy asked which one, claiming there are hundreds of variants out there for the Dyna Glide. So indeed, which one - what's the part number that will bolt right on to the existing rubber bushings without drilling, bending and fabricating, other than using the reducer sleeve to fit 1.75" on 1.5"?

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #10 - 01/19/06 at 19:56:01

I put a Dyna muffler on.  The HD dealer did not give it away, but it was pretty cheap.

Mine is 65747-94.  The 94 is the model year, as I understand it. The muffler has a mounting bracket that is about 1 1/2 " wide by 4 1/2 long.  It stands off the muffler about a 1/4 inch.It has a slot cut for most of the length for the mounting bolts.  

I went to a muffler shop and had them make a pipe to fit inside the muffler and over the stock ehaust pipe.  I made sure it was long enough to give a little room for adjustment fore and aft.

I mounted the muffler with two 5/16" x2 " (IIRC, not sure about the length) carriage bolts. The bolt heads fit into a wider round place in the slotted mounting bracket. the square shoulders of the 5/16" carriage bolts are exactly the size of the slot.  The 5/16" bolts also fit the stock rubber mounts which are fit for the 8 mm studs on the stock muffler.

Since I had the short custom adapter pipe, I was able to mount the muffler almost in the stock location.  That gave me two very secure connections between the Dyna muffler mounting bracket and the stock Savage "muffler stay" bracket.   If you use the exhaust reducing sleeve, I don't think that you would be able to use both mounting holes because the muffler would be too far forward, but one bolt would probably be enough.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #11 - 01/20/06 at 07:42:51

Thanks Steve, great information.  Seems more robust than using the stock Sportster muff, pounding its bracket round and drilling the mounting bracket arm for one (bent) carriage bolt.  I'll update when I get around to this mod.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #12 - 01/20/06 at 08:35:05

Steve's Dyna muffler installation sounds awesome!

But just so's ya know...my Sportster installation (and many others on the list) is ROCK solid.  I did drill a new hole into the stock bracket, but then installed a bushing and through bolted to the sportsters stock muffler mounting position.  Yes, I did field modify the muffler bracket to bend about 30 degrees so that I could have a nice tight installation.  But neither of these details sacrifices the structural integrity of the mounting.  It looks, sounds and runs great and was dirt cheap...It's all about choices.  That's the great thing about this bike is there are so many ways to go and so many people to help!

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/20/06 at 13:36:11

Well, I'm alone here, apparently in liking the look of the '04 stock Suzuki muffler, which has an enlarged bell, or flare at the end of the muffler that you see in new sport bikes and euro street bikes, and makes visual design sense.  At any rate, I did buy an unused Sportster muffler a while ago but I'm not really clear what I would have to ask a muffler shop to bend, etc., to make this fit onto the Savage.  Nor am I really clear about what extra parts I need to make it work with the Savage, if I take the stock one off.  I do have the part number for the small Harley heat shield, too.  But from what I understand, I will also need to rejet, which is  something I'm not really equipped to do at this point.

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/20/06 at 14:02:46

All you need is two screwdrivers to re-jet: a phillips and a slotted.  Best $3.50 I ever spent.  (Well, maybe that last part is an exaggeration.)

cigaro wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Well, I'm alone here, apparently in liking the look of the '04 stock Suzuki muffler, which has an enlarged bell, or flare at the end of the muffler that you see in new sport bikes and euro street bikes, and makes visual design sense.  At any rate, I did buy an unused Sportster muffler a while ago but I'm not really clear what I would have to ask a muffler shop to bend, etc., to make this fit onto the Savage.  Nor am I really clear about what extra parts I need to make it work with the Savage, if I take the stock one off.  I do have the part number for the small Harley heat shield, too.  But from what I understand, I will also need to rejet, which is  something I'm not really equipped to do at this point.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 00:00:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adapting the Stock Muffler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.