Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
'Richening Up Stock carb' (Read 11 times)
cigaro
Ex Member

'Richening Up Stock carb'
01/16/06 at 11:20:08

Since I have a brand new stock carb, is there any or any tweaks that can be done to it short of rejetting that will nudge a little better performance out of it?  And if, say, I put the sportster muffler I purchased on, is there anything I can do with the exisiting stock carb to make it play nice with the Harley muffler, short of rejetting?

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: 'Richening Up Stock carb'
Reply #1 - 01/16/06 at 11:47:58

As far I as can tell from my reading on this forum, if you have the stock muffler and air cleaner, you will get better performance and less backfiring if you replace the white spacer with one that is half as thick and adjust the idle mixture.

If you add a high flow muffler and a high flow air cleaner or either, then you'll get a lot more air to the combustion chamber. That will cause a lean condition which will increase backfiring and make the engine run hotter. The only solution is to increase the size of the main jet which will add more fuel and "richen" the misture.

I installed a HD Dyna muffler weekend before last.  The engine was running very lean and backfiring more.  

I did both this weekend for my 97.  I found a #4 nylon washer at the hardware store that is exactly half the thickness of the original spacer. I installed that with a 152.5 jet. I also removed the snorkel.  

The engine runs much smoother with those mods. Seems to have more power too.  I just got back from a short ride. to test it out. As I approached home in second gear, I decided to roll on the throttle to see how it would respond.  The front raised up and I thought I was going to pop a wheelie for a second. Smiley  

So why did you buy a new stock carb?

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/16/06 at 12:08:40

Well, it came with the bike, which is new. I've put 147 miles on it so far. So I was thinking that it should be in good shape, given that it's new. I'm not sure what's involved with putting in the half spacer. Do you have to take all sorts of things off? The bike is running pretty well, given that it's new, I've never done any kind of mechanical work like that and I don't want to screw things up....

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/16/06 at 12:43:33

See the Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire) and Carb Specs. threads in the Tech forum.

The procedure is pretty simple.  You do have to remove the seat and fuel tank to get the top of the carb off but heck, you almost need to remove those to do anything.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 01/16/06 at 12:52:03

I also had to remove the battery box. to get the carb off.

If your bike is running well, you might just want to leave it alone.  I know I would leave it alone until the first dealer service.  

Does it backfire a lot?

Steve

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 01/16/06 at 12:55:08

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I also had to remove the battery box. to get the carb off.

If your bike is running well, you might just want to leave it alone.  I know I would leave it alone until the first dealer service.  

Does it backfire a lot?

Steve

Hmmm... I didn't remove the carb.  I just worked on it in place.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/16/06 at 14:18:15

Good advice Steve530. The bike is running well (particularly after it gets warmed up), and I think it does make sense to wait until the first 600 mile service, and maybe until after the one year warranty expires. Still, all of these tips are quite useful.  As far as the LS650 goes, this is absolutely vital information.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #7 - 01/16/06 at 15:05:35

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Hmmm... I didn't remove the carb.  I just worked on it in place.

I needed to remove the carb to dip it anyway.

How did you manage to get the screws out of the top of the carb while it was on the bike? With it in my hands I still stripped three of the for screws. And I would have thought the top tubes would block access to the carb.

Steve

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/16/06 at 16:14:31

I couldn't get the top off the carb to do the spacer without removing it from the bike.  The main jet I could have done in place.  

I did the drilling of the mixture plug on the drill press and I'm glad I did.  But I can certainly see where that could be done on the bike as well.

If you own a Volkswagon Beetle or a motorcycle, you're not a mechanic  until you've held the engine in your hands.

Smiley

I just realized that you could rotate the carb while it's still on the bike, but it's easier to remove it to do the spacer mod.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #9 - 01/16/06 at 19:27:11

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I just realized that you could rotate the carb while it's still on the bike, but it's easier to remove it to do the spacer mod.

That's the trick. Rotate the carb. I did mine with the carb on the bike. Remove the tank and seat and it's not so difficult. I stripped several screws, but the pointy vice grips took them out no problem. The screws are too soft. Replaced them with stainless steel allen heads and all is well.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #10 - 01/16/06 at 19:58:23

Quote:
Since I have a brand new stock carb, is there any or any tweaks that can be done to it short of rejetting that will nudge a little better performance out of it?  And if, say, I put the sportster muffler I purchased on, is there anything I can do with the exisiting stock carb to make it play nice with the Harley muffler, short of rejetting?

There's no reason to not re-jet...especially if you're looking at a sportster (or any more open) muffler.  Review the posts in this forum and everything will go well.

I did the white spacer mod with the carb on the bike - even when the screws stripped out I was able to vice-grip them off.  I was not able to vice-grip off the bowl screws, so ended up removing the carb from the bike to re-jet.  I replaced all those screws with alan heads, so if I need to change the pilot jet I should not have to remove the carb again.

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
simplyput2600
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/05/06 at 10:23:28

i have a bone stock 1999 ls650 and i just purchased at dyna HD muffler, but should i rejet to 155 or 152.2 which one is better? keep in mind i currently have a stock air intake, i will get to the k&n after the rejet and pipe is installed.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 04/05/06 at 11:13:19

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
How did you manage to get the screws out of the top of the carb while it was on the bike?

I just used an offset screwdriver but I did make sure the fit was perfect.  Using one even slightly small will make stripping them much more likely.  Maybe I just got lucky.  Regardless, I replaced all four of those and all four from the float bowl with stainless allen screws.  They're a whole lot easier after that. And with a ball-tip allen wrench you can get at them from an angle pretty easily too.

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 04/05/06 at 11:18:07

simplyput2600 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
i have a bone stock 1999 ls650 and i just purchased at dyna HD muffler, but should i rejet to 155 or 152.2 which one is better? keep in mind i currently have a stock air intake, i will get to the k&n after the rejet and pipe is installed.

It's so easy to swap 'em, you'll probably wind up trying both.  When I was playing with mine, I couldn't tell any difference between a 152.5 and a 155 so far as how she ran.  The only noticeable difference was that I got better mileage with the 152.5.  I was using a MAC muffler and a K&N replacement filter on mine, so you may get different results.  I'd bet on the 152.5 though.

Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/05/06 at 11:59:04

wow thats kinda what I experienced too Rob.  I think with the 155 it was a tiny boggy(hardly noticeable) when u opened up the throttle but the 157.5 was way too much.  Super boggy with the 157.5.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 07:55:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 'Richening Up Stock carb'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.