Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Flat black paint: What am I getting myself into? (Read 17 times)
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Flat black paint: What am I getting myself into?
01/15/06 at 14:23:56

Hey all.

I'm wanting to paint my bike this winter. In fact, the tank (yellow) and fenders and airbox covers (black metalflake) are already stripped off the bike and the tank itself has even been emptied, plugged, and had a preliminary sand done on it.

However, I want flat black. My idea is to eventually do away with a lot of the flashiness of the bike, because I am attracted to the utilitarianism of the LS650 more than the looks. In an effort to change those looks, I'm thinking of going with a flat black, and I've already stripped the sissy bar and chrome strips on either side of the rear fender and like the look.

So what am I getting into? Will, say, PPG epoxy primer hold up to the elements as a topcoat? That was what I was looking at shooting.

This is part of a much larger customization, but it's also probably the hardest and most important part, and will need to be done in a couple months. So it's time to make a decision on paint, eh?

Help and experiences (especially experiences!) are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Banger
========

WWW   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: Flat black paint: What am I getting myself int
Reply #1 - 01/15/06 at 14:37:49

cant you just get flat black paint and flat clearcoat?

utilitarianism ?  Sorry my biker brain is limited to two syllable words and bad spelling.

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #2 - 01/15/06 at 14:52:21

Re: flat black paint and flat clear coat...

I can get flat black paint, sure, but I've been thoroughly confused by PPG's numerous product lines. The best I could find lately was to get a special clear coat that works well with a retardant. It's supposed to, at a 10% mixture, take some of the "shine" out of the clear coat.

Utilitarianism...you know...doing a job very well and not being overly flashy about it.

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 01/15/06 at 15:33:34

Ah, you are creating a "sleeper",  looks unimpressive but runs like a raped ape. Can't help much with the paint, most flat black isn't sealed and will pick up oil and grease. I've seen some rattle can semi-gloss in a clear, try an automotive paint store or talk to a body/paint shop.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 01/15/06 at 15:48:29

Why not just get some utilitarian paint?  

Like a rattle can of Krylon flat black.  If it picks up oil and starts to shine, use some degreaser and spray a fresh coat.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/15/06 at 16:15:16

Banger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Re: flat black paint and flat clear coat...

I can get flat black paint, sure, but I've been thoroughly confused by PPG's numerous product lines. The best I could find lately was to get a special clear coat that works well with a retardant. It's supposed to, at a 10% mixture, take some of the "shine" out of the clear coat.

Utilitarianism...you know...doing a job very well and not being overly flashy about it.

Regards,
Banger
=======

I've heard of something like that  From talking to a painter....it's the way they make a gloss into a semi-gloss or a satin.   There is a way, and I'm sure you'll want to find a way to seal it.  Or your Utilitarian bike will just turn into a Rat Bike.  

How about just a polished steel tank with a gloss clearcoat too?  Unless there was a little Bondo touch-up done at the factory, that is.  Might look good with flat black  8)

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #6 - 01/15/06 at 18:35:31

Definitely wanna find a way to seal it, then. I wasn't sure if the primer would start to look ratty after a while, but that was my worry. I was hoping there's a good way to do PPG clear in a satin finish. I'll be talking to the paint store about it soonly, I'd reckon. Really don't wanna go for the rattle can job, 'cos I can't be arsed to touch up my paint every three to six months (possibly sooner...I put about 300 miles a week on her as soon as the weather's warm enough to permit riding at 7.30 in the morning).

And believe it or not, I gave brief thought to going with the bare metal look on the tank and back fender (running no front fender and no airbox covers) but can't feel too comfy with that.

I like rat bikes and survivor bikes, in theory...just not in practice.

Besides the paint, I'm getting new rear lights that'll fit under the fender easily (sort of a steel plate with two smallish, round lights), new signals that hopefully mount pretty flush to the rear fender, dual headlights (Euro-style), a new handlebar like the new S40 straight bar and riser combo, and I'm going to see how she sounds and runs with a muffler off my old 1975 Honda CB500T. The pipe looks good on the Zook and fits the mounting bracket and header with no trouble! Adventure awaits.

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/15/06 at 18:54:53

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Why not just get some utilitarian paint?  

Like a rattle can of Krylon flat black.  If it picks up oil and starts to shine, use some degreaser and spray a fresh coat.

Steve

Yup thats how I painted my bike.  I started by just sanding off the clear coat and scratches.  I read somewhere that it was not really necessary to strip everything down to the bare metal.  Then I used a few layers of grey primer, followed by a few coats of Krylon's Sand Dune color,  no clear coat.  

So far the fenders and side covers are still looking pretty good, but the tanks is beginning to look like it could use a new top coat.  I don't think I will though,  I kinda like the used look.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 01/15/06 at 19:32:09

As long as you use flat black paint and not primer you should be fine. Primer isn't impervious to water and will allow your utilitarian bike to rust. No clearcoat needed - just flat black paint. I'm wondering if maybe satin black might be better ? That's the way the Harley Street Bob looks to me. Not flat but satin.

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #9 - 01/15/06 at 20:30:12

My stepfather (who will be doing the painting, incidentally) was discussing this with me a couple weeks ago.

I definitely like a satin finish, though, regardless of how I go about getting it.

Wouldn't the absence of clear coat (even a satin-effect clear as discussed earlier) cause the black to fade pretty quick in UV rays? That's my main concern with this method.

Keep these responses coming. Experiences and ideas with painting are helping me already to better understand what I'm about to get into here.

Regards,
Banger
======

WWW   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #10 - 01/16/06 at 06:48:30

if you want your paint job to last,u must have a clear coat,it will protect the paint from the suns rays,which cause color fading(yes black paint does fade),as mentioned before u can get flat clear coat,just call around local paint shops,or better yet go inside and see the paint for yourself.all u would need to do is add hardner,and reducer then spray it.make sure u stir the paint very good,and always use paint strainers to keep the klumps out.

are u doing the frame too? if so u should get candy apple red to paint the rims. then add some whitewall tires and you would have a old school bike.

here's a pic of my bike,without the forward controls and 3 foot sissy bar

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #11 - 01/16/06 at 07:57:01

Nah, not doing the frame. Already black and, well, I'm not wanting to fool with it. Less paint, less time, and it won't affect the looks that much I don't think.

I'll ask the local paint shop how to make a satin clear coat over flat black automotive paint. I've seen guitars (Fenders, to be precise) going with a satin clear over flat paint colors for a very cool look. That sort of finish in black would seem to be every bit as good as straight primer rattle can stuff, but would likely hold up longer.

Regards,
Banger
======

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 01/16/06 at 11:54:53

Flat black gets dirty very easily.  Everything on it shows.  Check out my header pipe... rest of the photo is a little dark to see the filth.

Hey Torque, I'd love to see a pic of your bike with your sissy bar.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 01/16/06 at 12:26:19

I've been considering having my tank, side covers and fenders powder coated flat black.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #14 - 01/16/06 at 16:16:07

Can you powder coat in flat black? That might not be a bad idea.

I looked into powder coating at one time when I was considering ways to get my front fender chromed and wanted a cheaper alternative. Turns out that's not the way to go...at least, it's  not really too close to the true look of chrome. At any rate, powder coating the bike flat black might be cool. And durable, I suppose.

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 16:18:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flat black paint: What am I getting myself into?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.