Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Breather tube plug (Read 6 times)
Houston_Toad
Ex Member

Breather tube plug
12/06/05 at 16:20:43

Hi;

Well I took delivery on a new S40 a week ago and I have a question about what I think is the breather tube that comes out below the bike (next to the battery vent tube).  It has a plug in it and a spring clamp sealing the plug and the tube.

Is this normal?  I noticed in thread http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...
that he put a filter on this tube.

Anyway, thanks.

Houston Toad -- (endangered species)
deep in the heart of Bastrop County, Texas

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Breather tube plug
Reply #1 - 12/06/05 at 16:59:21

it's an american epa thing. it collects a little oil.
you should let it out about once a year.  i see no reason for a filter.  it's just capped so the "oil" doesn't spill.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 12/06/05 at 19:14:22

Welcome fellow texan (another!) -

That's the drain hose - the breather hose runs from the top of the head on the right front under the tank, along the left hand side (port) of the bike past the carb and plugs into the air box - the drain hose your asking about comes out of the bottom of the airbox and oil that collects in the air box runs into this tube.

Some folks disconnect the breather hose and plug a fliter into it - as in the example picture the air box was eliminate for a pod filter directly on the carb. lot's of air moves in and out of this hose - about 650cc worth out each time the piston goes down and 650cc of air in when it goes back up and you do not want it sucking unflitered air nor just plugged off.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 12/06/05 at 22:59:29

It is absolutely normal to have some oil and water colected in that hose. It is a drain pipe for the air box. Part of every service is to unplug it and let it drain what is inside. Do not leave it uncaped. because You will cuck in a lot of dust.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 12/07/05 at 08:07:10

Also, do not forget to drain it regularly (I drain it at all oil changes).  If this thing fills up, it will overflow into your airbox, fouling your filter and possibly causing gook to get sucked into the carb and into your engine.  Badness!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 11:21:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Breather tube plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.