Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The very first ride (Read 7 times)
Dragon King

IL
The very first ride
12/06/05 at 10:09:33

I was off an a daze on my way to work the other day. I don't know but started to recall the first ride that I could ever rember. here is mine hope you share yours:
I was 5 maybe 6 a freind of the family had what I think was a 79 750 mad cow. we had a big yard with this huge bush in the middle,he would put me an the gas tank with him and let me work the throttle. I would get going and then when we get down out of site by the bush I would get on her good. course Iam sure we were not really going very fast but it was great wind in the hair sun on the face. I fell in love with bikes then it took along time before I got my own but it was worth the wait. I will never forget the trips down the yard anround the bush. 8)

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: The very first ride
Reply #1 - 12/06/05 at 10:24:40

Many moons (ok months of moons) ago, I was gifted with a ride down a county road by a friend of the families, he and I were the same age, had a lot of the same interests. Anyway he had a "real" MC (I have no idea what kind, it was small, dirt bike style, no idea if it was street legal or not). I'd ridden minibikes and go carts but not a MC. No body told us it was hard or dangerous or that we should get some training first, so off we go with me at the throttle him kneeling on the back of the seat, holding on for dear life, yelling instructions in my ear. I had no idea how to shift gears on the thing, no idea which lever was which etc. He must have somewhat explained the throttle idea before getting on - not sure he explained that there were multiple positions that it could be used - I think we were probably WOT all the way.

Anyway, somehow we made it all the way to his front yard where we dumped the MC on its side. Might have been just the shot in the arm my "rat" (see "feed the rat for reference) needed. Our parents just laughed at us. My Mother, God bless her is more concerned about me riding now than she was then. I guess kids were either unbreakable, infinitely repairable, replaceable, or all three.

I hadn't thought about that trip for a long time, thanks for the memory lane gift.

Do something that scares you everyday!

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #2 - 12/06/05 at 18:21:22

First real ride was with my father on a red honda motorcycle, best discreption that I have, my first time with me at the "wheel" so to speak was with a 1970 something honda st 90, wiped out between the truck and the stationwagon, without touching either, could not stand the bike back up without touching them, God was looking after me that day.since then till now have only laid a bike down but once, long sad and stupid story there, maybe for next time.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #3 - 12/06/05 at 19:39:42

My first ride was on a little mini-bike when I went to stay over on a friends farm stead. I must have been 9 or so, but I can't really remember how old I was. I took off on this little bike and it was fast. I didn't know how to ride, I didn't know how to stop, and I didn't know how to start it up. I got on and away I went. I headed into an orchard of trees and I freaked out cause I couldn't stop. I don't remember what happened next. I somehow came to a stop and the bike died. I had to walk it all the way back to the house.

I didn't ride another actual motorcycle until highschool, when I rode my friend's mother's little honda motorcycle. I don't know how big she was - maybe a 250, but maybe even a 125 - not so sure. It was awesome. I loved it. But I wasn't allowed to have a motorcycle. But for some reason my dad thought it ok if I had a moped. So, that's what I had in highschool. A Honda moped. It was pretty darned sweet though. It had some get up and go. I drove that thing all around town for hours and hours after school. I loved it.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 12/06/05 at 20:17:35

Dragon King wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
...I was 5 maybe 6 a freind of the family ....put me an the gas tank with him and let me work the throttle.....
About the same age, it was my dad on his HD 45 Servicar Police Tricycle.  I didn't do the throttle, but I did manage to kick the siren on -- which sort of defeated the purpose of sneaking down an alley.

WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 12/06/05 at 20:27:49

Got a minibike when I was a kid. Mowed lawns for a couple of years & split the cost with my brother. Was hooked! Wanted a motorcycle soon after, but too expensive. Rode a friend's Honda CB100 at 16 for the first time. REALLY hooked this time! Worked all summer at my first real job & got a low mileage 1973 Honda SL100. My first bike. Rode everywhere, everyday. I'm sure I'll be riding well into my senior years. 8)

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/06/05 at 22:05:41

My first ride was on the back of a neighbor's bike, Triumph I believe, and it was a "hang on for your life run".  I was about 11 yrs old and he was maybe 19.  I loved it.  The summer between my junior and senior year of high school I worked on my grandfathers farm in 120 degree peach orchards for 12 hours a day...6 days a week.  I made just enough to buy a new Suzuki 150 street bike and an orange  Bell helmet.  That felt really good.  September 1966

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 12/07/05 at 10:46:28

Got a minibike frame and put a 5HP Briggs&Stratton into it with belt pulleys.  That thing was a blast and hooked me on riding from that point.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/07/05 at 13:49:21

My first ride was crazy...I bought a kawasaki 500 triple and kept it at a friend's place cuz my parents would have freaked.  Me and a buddy went out to take the bike for a ride so the first time I step on a motorcycle it's on a superfast street bike, with a passenger!  I got it up to 124 mph and don't know how I survived.  Scared me sh!tless!  Convinced my parents it was safe and then racked it up a month later!!  If I had juust read up a bit on how to ride them or taken a course or had a friend to teach me, I wouldn't have had to wait 25 years till the next ride!! Embarrassed :'( :'(

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 10:35:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The very first ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.