Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Build a Seat? (Read 16 times)
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Build a Seat?
Reply #15 - 12/01/05 at 15:37:58

I'm thinking of covering my seat in Lycra. I got the leather piece on but it had big folds sticking out on the back corners. Same with the thinner vinyl but less so. Couldn't figure out a way around it. Then I put this stretchy black fabric on it & no wrinkles. Smooth all around. I know from my bicycles seats that the sun fades Lycra after a couple of years in but replacing it should be easy. Staple gun & scissors. Can't find Lycra in stores though, just stuff that resembles it. Hmmm....just had a thought. Neoprene. Like in scuba suits.  Roll Eyes

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Tim Krantz

Reply #16 - 12/04/05 at 18:07:01

Any large sewing center has foam rubber in various densitys.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #17 - 12/05/05 at 10:32:31

Hey Babbalou, lycra is available in large fabric stores as swim suit material, or go to a Goodwill store and buy an old bathing suit, Granny type should give you all the heavy weight lycra you need.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #18 - 12/05/05 at 18:34:09

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Hey Babbalou, lycra is available in large fabric stores as swim suit material, or go to a Goodwill store and buy an old bathing suit, Granny type should give you all the heavy weight lycra you need.

Didn't think of that. Thanks. Smiley

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #19 - 12/06/05 at 09:37:55

Another place to get good quality lycra, bicycle shorts. My kids bought me some that have a padded crotch and inner leg when I was using my 10 speed. They are made of good heavy weight lycra. I have seen them at garage sales & good will stores real cheap.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #20 - 12/06/05 at 16:26:50

On the off chance that anyone is wanting/needing some memory foam for a seat project, you can pick up memory foam pillows at Wal-mart for $15-20.  I know I'm planning on using some on the seat I'm currently building.  Make for a nice top layer, I think.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 12/06/05 at 17:58:32

Are they dense?

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #22 - 12/06/05 at 19:13:56

jimbrough wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Are they dense?

Not really.  I have denser foam that I'm using for the main part of it, but from the seats I've sat on, a layer of the memory foam on the top seems to work well.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #23 - 12/06/05 at 19:33:02

One thing about Memory foam that I learned the hard way - is that not all memory foam is created equal! I purchased a 4" 5lb rated (most dense) Matress Topper from a "reputable" source on Ebay. After less than a year, the "memory" has "forgotten" itself. Now it's just a soft foamy topper. I'm pretty disappointed.

If I were to buy some for a seat project, I would want to make sure it's really high quality stuff.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #24 - 12/06/05 at 20:36:42

Yeah.  I've talked to several people who have used this foam in seats, and they've all been happy with the results.  I figure it's worth a shot.  Worst case scenario: I get to redesign and rebuild.  Which means more fun in the garage and possibly using the stock seat that I've been using for the past year.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Build a Seat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.