Send Topic Print
Build a Seat? (Read 16 times)
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Build a Seat?
11/29/05 at 14:32:52

At long last I've found the promised land!  After riding a Savage for a year and a half, I finally found a forum for it.  Good things do come to people who wait, I suppose.

Well, I've asked this question in the FSSNOC forum, and I had my dad ask a similar question in his Shadow VLX forum, but I'm still looking for advice.  I don't suppose anyone here happens to have had any experience building their own seat?  I've raised the front of my seat a while back, but thanks to a tight budget, I lack the cash to buy so much as a gel pad, let alone a gel seat.  Besides, I like doing things myself.  I have an old seat pan that I found on ebay for $10 or so, plenty of sheet metal of verious types, vinyl, and the other odd hardware needed.  but I lack any experience with foams.  Any suggestions as to what types of foam might work best?  Anyone fall in love with a shape for their seat?  Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: Build a Seat?
Reply #1 - 11/29/05 at 14:48:56

I put a bicycle gel pad in my seat.  Works great.  Ahh
u can get vinyl cheap too.  Im not sure what foam u will need but it might cost ya more than u think for everything ull need.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #2 - 11/29/05 at 15:13:02

Hadn't thought about bicycle gel pads.  That sounds like it's worth a try.

Fortunately, I know some people who use leather and vinyl quite a lot, so they were willing to donate some to a worthy cause (or at least to stop my non-stop begging).

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 11/29/05 at 15:27:59

Not sure where you're at , but if there is a wheelchair manufacturer/modifier in the area, they tend to know a lot about foam.  As far as shaping, if there is a good model railroading group near by, they often use the styrofoam, etc for the model trains, and know how to cut and shape.  And obviously, an upholstary shop can help ( knowledge wise) aboput the vinyl as far as smoothness and professional look.  BEST of luck, in savage land, it's a job that needs doing. Wink  I think I might be going at this azz backwards, padding my own seat with holiday food, rather than the savage's. Cheesy

IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/29/05 at 16:47:50

I found a guy works part-time out of his garage and re-did my whole seat for $40.  Maybe you can find someone similar near you?

I know what you mean about making your own, though.  I've been thinking of doing the same thing for quite a while...I'm big and the seat is too low so I raised it and moved it back but I'm still not happy - I think what I want is a suzuki banana seat from the 70s gs550
or some such thing so i will be higher but i can move back and forth when i get restless.

best of luck with yours and i'll let you know if i do anything with a totally new seat.

btw, welcome to the site - this really is the greatest!
Cheers.

Jim

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 11/30/05 at 06:37:50

I have done a little reworking of my seat and tried a few different types of foam.  For comfort while riding, especially for longer rides, you need a DENSE foam.  The foam that comes in the Savage seat is NOT a dense foam, it is a medium weight foam.

The best material of course is the solid gel material.  That is what is used in the best wheel chair seat pads, and on mattress pads for those who are permenantly bedfast.  

I understand the cost issue, and one way around it is to look for leftover sources...like an upholsty shop that may have stuff in their dumpster big enough for a bike seat.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 11/30/05 at 08:28:05

I made a seat out of 1/8" aluminum.  I love the shape of the "seat."  I no longer sit on my tailbone!  do a search for "metal seat"

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/30/05 at 11:45:44

Since I gave up my plan to rebuild a seat, I don't have any success stories. I do have advice on how to cut foam. Use an electric carving knife, just put it back before your spouse finds out you cut foam with it. One source of cheap dense foam would be the pads they sell for gardening. I think they call them knee pads.
I purchased a "Gel Seat" from ebay, but it is very stiff, not sure it is what I paid for, but since I needed lower & narrower, it works. Besides, I have lots of natural padding to compensate. Wink

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/30/05 at 12:57:24

What about some dense 'memory' foam? I have this 3M chair which I think was called "pound cake" that I picked up at a job many moons ago.  I've never found another office chair like this one. The seat is all memory foam, and it kicks serious arse! If I could rework this seat into a seat for the ls650/s40, I'd really have something! There are some foam suppliers on ebay. I would use a combo of dense regular foam with a layer of heavy duty memory foam on top of that. That would be sweet.

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #9 - 11/30/05 at 15:04:12

You can try http://www.chopperunderground.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

You would have to create an account (just like here) but there has already been discussions on seat making, how-to's, and even a couple of folks that will build seats.

WWW   IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/30/05 at 16:06:25

Check out this site for hi density foam and "pudgee" (gel)[url]http://www.sunmatecushions.com/index.htm  [/url]
I reshaped my seat, the passenger's seat and the back rest using the above materials and am recovering them with carbon fibre vinyl which I purchased from this outfit
[url= http://www.glfi.com/index.html] http://www.glfi.com/index.html[/url]
Hope this helps you out a bit

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/30/05 at 17:19:36

I made a few attempts at a seat redo the past few months. Corbin seats use closed cell foam rubber because it doesn't pack down over time like some open cell foam can. So I went looking & calling everywhere & did Google searches for closed cell foam rubber. Found a few places online that sell it but they wanted a lot of money for some very large sheets. Got some vinyl at an arts & crafts place in town. Got some leather & dye to cover it later but I haven't gotten around to finishing the job. Now I'm looking for a gel pad as wide as the seat is, no luck yet. May try 2 bicycle ones.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #12 - 11/30/05 at 17:29:54

woodworker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Check out this site for hi density foam and "pudgee" (gel)[url]http://www.sunmatecushions.com/index.htm  [/url]
I reshaped my seat, the passenger's seat and the back rest using the above materials and am recovering them with carbon fibre vinyl which I purchased from this outfit
[url= http://www.glfi.com/index.html] http://www.glfi.com/index.html[/url]
Hope this helps you out a bit

Dang, that's exactly what I need! I didn't see it before I posted. Gonna order one of those & move forward on the seat redo. Thanks.  Smiley

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 11/30/05 at 21:42:53

Babbalou,  I have gel pads available....12x15x 1.5 or 2.5" and priced from $99-129 depending on thickness and cover material. (nylon, sheepskin or leather)

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #14 - 12/01/05 at 06:50:52

I always HATED the seat on the Savage ('96). I'm not too little and the seat just murdered me. I'm not so much a fat a$$, but a flat a$$. The hump on the back of the seat was one annoyance, the lack of padding another. I raised the front of the seat and that helped.  I used an electric knife to cut part of the hump away, and added two layers of this fiber padding...

that I bought at wal-mart. The hardest part was getting the seat cover back on. Wish I had taken some pictures, and will when I recover in leather. Grin  Now I have more room to move back, and with my hwy pegs, I can cruise 'til the tank is dry!!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:36:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Build a Seat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.