Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NEW    Winter Riding Already!!!!! (Read 16 times)
jbrough7
Ex Member

NEW    Winter Riding Already!!!!!
10/20/05 at 05:41:23

Left for work this morning and it was -1C or about -30F!  My commute is only 25 minutes so I figure I can still take the Savage.  Left the thing OUTSIDE last night!!  Had to wipe frost off the seat and couldn't read the speedo cuz it was iced over!

Pulled the choke out and she started right up and then I pushed the choke back in after 30 seconds and I never had a problem.  She ran great all the way.

I was warm enough except for my hands.  I'm wearing snowmobile gloves and it's not bad for the first 15 minutes or so...after that, I couldn't shift properly.  I've tried snowmobile mitts and they were warm but I couldn't feel anything through them.

Any good ideas out there?  Anyone found a great pair of gloves?  How about those plastic covers out front of the grips?  Seems that would keep the wind off, anyway.

Just had a thought - if I am travelling in -1C weather at 60 m/hr. , what does that make the wind chill?

I really want to ride until the snow flies but I gotta get those fingers warmer![glow=red,2,300] [/glow]

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Re: NEW    Winter Riding Already!!!!!
Reply #1 - 10/20/05 at 05:45:00

Just noticed -1C is +30 F...Still is darn cold no matter what you call it.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 10/20/05 at 05:46:29

I've been using a North Face liner inside my leather gloves and I was fine a couple of weekends ago for about 350 mile at 40 Degrees F. Don't know what it will feel like when it gets below freezing here. My commute is only 8 miles, so I really don't have time to get really cold. Plus my Savage sits inside at night so the bike itself is pretty warm. I'm guessing cold bars and hand grips don't help the situation. Anyway the liners don't really take much away from tactile sensation and are more flexible that the leather gloves anyway.

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/20/05 at 05:53:04

Do you have to get extra large gloves to fit this spacer inside them?

Thanks for the tips.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 10/20/05 at 06:13:01

In Dallas it was a very nice ride in this morning at 72° F.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/20/05 at 06:21:25

You suck and so does your weather!!!!

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/20/05 at 06:33:51

How come you can talk dirty but when I try it changes things to 'pregnant doggies' and puts in tons of ******?  Is that cuz you got 5 stars and I've only got 2??  

I'm getting used to playing second fiddle!  On my wedding night, I dropped my shorts and my wife could have either laughed or cried - fortunately, she laughed!

C'est la vie!

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 10/20/05 at 08:00:04

jbrough7 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
 How about those plastic covers out front of the grips?  Seems that would keep the wind off, anyway.

Don't waste your money or styling points on hand guards. They work great for mud and branches, but don't do a thing for cold wind.

Oh yeah, and stop complaining about the weather until the snow is so deep you can't make it through your street.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/20/05 at 08:09:29

Bentwheel:  Sarnia, right??  I already saw that picture in the gallery....you need some chains or something!!  

I'm about 40 minutes east of you, isn't that freaky?? Shocked

I'm thinking if I just buy really good quality snowmobile mitts, that might be enough!

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 10/20/05 at 08:23:20

Well howdy neighbour. You are right about the snowmobile mitts. They would be your best bet. You must be somewhere around Strathroy?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/20/05 at 08:36:49

Bingo!  The best little town this side of the Rockies!  Actually, it's pretty boring around here.  I think that's why I got the bike.  I've been to that cinema just on the west end of sarnia on it - went on the 402.  Just seemed to start out and i was there.

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/20/05 at 09:25:22

Sorry - make that east end!

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - 10/20/05 at 09:33:01

Yes I figured that's what you meant. Did you ever take Confederation Line (Cnty. Rd. 39 I think) into Sarnia. It's a more relaxed pace than the 402?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 10/20/05 at 10:36:47

Answering an earlier question about the liners.

No I just put my regular gloves over them. The "liners" (They are sold as gloves, but I don't think they'd last without some protection.) are pretty thin - high tech wicking fabric. They were a little pricey, but this stuff works great. They are along the lines of cold gear under armor for thickness.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #14 - 10/20/05 at 12:16:36

Hi guys, I'm across the bridge and 20 miles north in Lexington. Yep, frost all over the place this morning. I took the cage because my commute is 48 miles one way.  Shocked

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 13:03:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NEW    Winter Riding Already!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.