Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Handlebar change (Read 8 times)
wingdwolf56
Ex Member

Handlebar change
10/19/05 at 13:05:50

I did a search but didn't really find anything. I have a new S40 and would like to change the stock handlebars to a pull back type or mini ape but I don't know what diameter to get or what rise and pullback would work well. Would someone tell me the stock spec on the pre S40 Savages. I like the bars on the Savages better than the drag type bars on the S40

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Re: Handlebar change
Reply #1 - 10/19/05 at 13:52:09

check your  I.Ms I have a proposition for ya.

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/19/05 at 14:30:04

They're a 1" bar.  Mine is an '88 and they are pretty flat.  I can even turn them down and pretend I'm a racer.  must be some available at the salvage yards.

At first they seemed very narrow to me but now I must be used to them as they seem just right.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 10/19/05 at 14:30:20

Yup, a swap with a Savage owner who wants dragbars is the answer but the S40 will probably need longer cables whereas the Savage should be okay.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/19/05 at 17:27:44

I just fit mini apes on my Savage with out having to change the cables, but its a '86 so the cables might be different.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 10/19/05 at 19:04:37

i was looking at an s40 and it appears that the cables are the same. the flat bars are on risers that position them close to where the buck horn used to.  i'll pop in the shop tommorrow to follow up.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/20/05 at 04:58:49

Hey threezukes'
did the mini apes work with the stock risers ?
do the mini apes "pull back" or do the handles go more "straight out to the sides" ?
how much higher/foreward are your hands positioned compared to stock pull-backs ?
franch

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/20/05 at 16:24:58

I bought the bars used so I'm not sure of all the measurements, but I know that it doesn't have as much pullback as buckhorns and if I measured it right it has a little over 7" rise.  If you look in the picture you can see that I did have to  re-route  the throttle cable and wires to behind the fork because they were a little tight, but on the left hand side the clutch cable and wire were fine as is.   yup and stock risers. Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 10/20/05 at 16:53:11

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
i was looking at an s40 and it appears that the cables are the same. the flat bars are on risers that position them close to where the buck horn used to.  i'll pop in the shop tommorrow to follow up.

Cool, that'd be good information.  I'm sure this topic will come up more in the future.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 10/21/05 at 04:06:50

those look good. looks like a more comfortable hand position too ! I am going to try it on my 98. what are those black accordion thingys on your forks?
people who post pics are my heroes
franch

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 10/21/05 at 05:56:04

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
...what are those black accordion thingys on your forks?

Those are fork boots.

Aktlingit
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Welcome Home

Alaska
Reply #11 - 10/21/05 at 13:06:29

I switched from stock pullback bars to Flanders A3 Aught bars Rise 5.5" Pullback 5" Center Width 10" Tip 2 Tip 33".  I was able to switch out without having to replace any of the cables and these bars are very comfortable.  I am looking for another set of bars for my other LS650 along the lines of the old speedster bar approx. measurements R2-3" PB 2-3" CW 8-9" T2T 30-31" does any one know of any manufacturer out there that might have this style of bar?  I found something close in 7/8" bar but do not want to down size controls to do so.

Regards from Alaska

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 12:55:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebar change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.