Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
clutch repair (Read 13 times)
sean franchi

clutch repair
10/19/05 at 07:08:00

How hard is a clutch job to do?
I did an oil change with non synthetic but clutch is still slipping. also recently noticed a small leak where the clutch arm comes out of the case ( you can actually watch the arm "pulse in and out" as engine thumps.
how much and where can i get the special tool for the clutch job?
thanks
franch

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Re: clutch repair
Reply #1 - 10/19/05 at 08:56:43

sorry, bud - I have no idea - I'm kinda new to the whole bike thing; the clutch must be out in the open, I would think, right?  Have you tried one of those Haynes manuals?

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 10/19/05 at 08:59:42

Fixing a slipping clutch is not too hard of a job. Your clutch is slipping for one or a combination of the following  problems. The friction plates become worn; the steel plates overheat and warp or the springs are weak. I have a slipping clutch as well and if you want, I can take pictures of the process when I take mine apart in a month or so.
The clutch arm rides in a seal in the clutch cover and replacement will stop the leak. When you remove the clutch cover, simply pry out the old seal and press in a new one.
You can take apart the clutch without the need for a special tool. The tool is used to hold the clutch basket from spinning when removing the large nut. There are a couple of ways to get around this. Put the transmission in gear and apply the rear brake when wrenching the nut, or put a penny, or a rag between the meshing gears on the clutch assy and drive gear to hold them from spinning. You can easily make your own special tool by using an old steel clutch plate and welding a handle onto it.
How old is your Savage and how many miles are on it?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 10/19/05 at 09:11:35

And my wife says my bike is the only mistress I get...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sean franchi

Reply #4 - 10/19/05 at 12:30:12

bentwheel,

my savage is a 98 with 19k on it.
if you can post pics of this repair job that would be awesome.
it certainly helped when i was able to reference pics when doing the white spacer/ re-jet job.
one other thing, is there a spring that pulls the clutch arm back down after squeezing the clutch handle ?
if so then mine is suspect as it seems to "hang up" , meaning by hand i could push the arm down a good 1/4 inch
thanks

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 10/19/05 at 14:05:23

sean franchi wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
is there a spring that pulls the clutch arm back down after squeezing the clutch handle ?
if so then mine is suspect as it seems to "hang up" , meaning by hand i could push the arm down a good 1/4 inch
thanks

No there is not a specific spring to return the clutch arm. It is returned via the springs which operates the clutch pack. It sounds like you may have too much free play in your clutch cable. Adjust the free play out at the end near the clutch arm where it enters the engine. Make final adjustments at the clutch lever leaving about 1/8 to1/4 in. free play. Keep in mind it is normal to have slight free play at the clutch (actuating) arm when you wiggle it up and down by hand.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/20/05 at 04:43:45

yeah I already checked that and the freeplay is adjusted properly
thanks
franch

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 10/20/05 at 05:00:54

Mine slips a bit as well if I wot 4th or 5th at 3000rpm or below - picked up a NOS clutch basket from Anderson for $25 the other day on ebay - need to order in the clutch plates give it go as well as the cam chain in the next few months.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/21/05 at 06:02:53

sean franchi wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
How hard is a clutch job to do?
I did an oil change with non synthetic but clutch is still slipping. also recently noticed a small leak where the clutch arm comes out of the case ( you can actually watch the arm "pulse in and out" as engine thumps.
how much and where can i get the special tool for the clutch job?
thanks
franch

Bentwheel is right about the clutch tool.  You can get around it, but you have to be careful.  Also, be sure to use care when torquing the clutch spring bolts.

The pulsating on the clutch arm is normal.  That is just the clutch spinning with the actuator pin moving slightly.

Also, be sure to assemble the 1 different friction plate with the spring washer correctly.  don't get them mixed up...it is the last friction plate on the right.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #9 - 10/21/05 at 06:06:54

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The pulsating on the clutch arm is normal.  That is just the clutch spinning with the actuator pin moving slightly.

well sh!t,thats good to know i was about to replace the clutch because of that.......go figure!!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 10/21/05 at 06:24:16

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
well sh!t,thats good to know i was about to replace the clutch because of that.......go figure!!

I know.  I scratched my head over that one too....just ignore it.  Just another Savage thing.

Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 13:48:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › clutch repair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.