Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does your savage hate the rain? (Read 10 times)
hoohootribe
Ex Member

Does your savage hate the rain?
10/12/05 at 14:37:33

[color=Purple][/color]

My 650 n reg (uk) runs sweet as a nut on a dry day but add more than a drizzle and it won't stay ticking over.  If I start it under cover and get the engine hot then I can just about get home if I don't throttle off too much in low gear. I have used vaseline on every connection I can find with the seats and side panels off to prevent water getting in. On the occasions I've broken down, using wd40 on ignition and kill switch didn't work either. I don't want to be condemmed to riding round with a cover in my backpack forever and don't want to put bike out to pasture for the winter.
Enough rambling! Any tips from fellow British weather sufferers? ???

IP Logged
Colo_Hack
Ex Member

Re: Does your savage hate the rain?
Reply #1 - 10/13/05 at 05:49:06

Yeah move to the US!!!! Grin Just kidding... I had a similiar problem with my old Honda Shadow. I had water getting into the carb and it did the same thing. Make sure it's sealed up tight.
Hack

IP Logged
Ken Long

Reply #2 - 10/13/05 at 06:52:50

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem! On Sep 29, I rode to work in a heavy rain and left the Savage Beast parked outside in the parking lot. It rained all day. When I tried to start it after work it took a long time to start and I really had to baby the throttle to keep it running while it warmed up. It never stalled on the way home but she did run pretty rough for about 6 miles. It was just a light drizzle on the ride home.

Ken in Albuquerque

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 10/13/05 at 16:51:59

Invest in a bike cover.

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/13/05 at 23:34:30

You need to make sure you aren't getting water into the air box, carb and gas tank.. The  electrical stuff should be a gimme . Water and current don't mix. One thing i learned a long time ago. NEVER USE VASELINE on electrical connections  A. vaseline is an insulator ,current can't pass through it . I know you're trying to keep water out but you should use contact grease it will keep water out but it is also conductive so it will actually not impede current . B . Vaseline will actually corrode circuit boards and switch connections ( Kinda like when a rubber worm gets left in a tackle box and eats the plastic)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Rain and the Savage
Reply #5 - 10/14/05 at 06:09:36

That's the only thing giving me reservations about trying a pod filter... sucking water.  I've heard it can be a problem so I've been sticking with the stock airbox and a drop-in K&N filter.  It would be nice to reclaim the space taken by the airbox though - or maybe just use it for tool storage.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Rain and the Savage
Reply #6 - 10/14/05 at 08:09:42

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
That's the only thing giving me reservations about trying a pod filter... sucking water.  I've heard it can be a problem so I've been sticking with the stock airbox and a drop-in K&N filter.  It would be nice to reclaim the space taken by the airbox though - or maybe just use it for tool storage.

Not a problem Rob.  Really.  I have ridden in some really strong rains for the last 2 years, and for the same reason as you state, I have tried to notice if that would cause any problem.

I remember that it burped once in a 70 mile ride in some hellatious rain at interstate speeds (to Deals Gap no less), and it happened when I stopped at a light.  However, in hind sight, It may have been that the engine was just too cold from all the water cooling.  I used a little choke and it restarted just fine.

I think the problem here is strictly electrical.  Don't worry.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 10/14/05 at 10:22:23

I would agree that this problem is electrical.

Thanks for the feedback.  I believe I will try a pod for while and see how it goes.  Do you know, off the top of your head, what size is needed for the stock carb?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/14/05 at 11:49:15

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I would agree that this problem is electrical.

Thanks for the feedback.  I believe I will try a pod for while and see how it goes.  Do you know, off the top of your head, what size is needed for the stock carb?

The top, middle and bottom of my head don't remember things like they used to Smiley

That's why I always post this picture.  You want a K&N? Here is the part number to buy it, and if you want the size you can use this number at the K&N site to find it....that is where I started.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 10/14/05 at 12:55:02

Thanks Greg.  I came across this interesting idea on customizing the K&N filter length to fit.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 12:45:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does your savage hate the rain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.