Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Runs Terrible In Cold (Read 4 times)
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Runs Terrible In Cold
10/11/05 at 21:58:47

I Know you all have heard this question a hundred times but here i go. bike ran great to work this morning mid to low 60's ferenheight after work it was around high twentys its about a 10 mile ride home so bike was warmed up on way home it ran terrible i had to keep throttle at all lights and slowong down at idle when i hold throttle it smelled like gas and i could see smoke in the headlight anyways it was surging and backfiring really bad like it had no gas or momentarly lossing spark has gas filled up today and good spark changed plug about a week ago i did keep messing with idle screw on way home

IP Logged
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Re: Runs Terrible In Cold
Reply #1 - 10/12/05 at 10:22:07

The idle screw you are adjusting, Is it large & easy to get at?
OR
Did you remove a brass plug from the side of the carburetor to access it?
If the first is true, that is NOT the answer.
Screw behind the brass plug needs to be turned counterclockwise to get pilot(idle) circuit a little richer.
Reducing the "white spacer" will also help.
Not to mention  a K&N air filter and a less restrictive exhaust.
All of these have threads somewhere in this website.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 10/12/05 at 22:18:37

Dude! How old is this bike? When were the last time the carb got a decent cleaning up on the inside? You might have to open up the carb and see what condition is it inside ???

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/13/05 at 02:53:41

If you can see smoke in the headlight then you probably have a bad gasket between the engine and the header.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #4 - 10/13/05 at 18:33:05

threezukes wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
If you can see smoke in the headlight then you probably have a bad gasket between the engine and the header.

Excellent tip. Sunday night I noticed smoke billowing around the headlight after I put the pipe back on & I just assumed the breeze was blowing it forward from the muffler. Thing is, there was no breeze. Seemed to run a little lean, too. I just ordered a new gasket.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/13/05 at 20:45:05

the bike is a 96 with 12k on it this weakend i will have some help to clean carb and stuff i can do anything to a car but im scared of the bike since im fairly new at it does anyone use fuel additive i tried it no big differnce

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #6 - 10/14/05 at 20:12:30

Since you are new, you could try to use carb cleaner additive but you have to remember that you only have 2.8 gallons of gas in that tank; so you have to do the math and figure out how much additive to add to the full tank.
Oh, maybe you could check the tightness on the 2 nuts that attach the header to the engine. I had the same backfiring and idle like crap at stop light and guess what I did  Wink to fix that problem.

Good luck

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 04:45:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Runs Terrible In Cold

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.