Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
you folks are great (Read 2 times)
sean franchi

you folks are great
10/14/05 at 07:34:15

everyone on this board is awesome. all the advice has been dead on. got my 98 savage in august, with a screaming eagle on it but it turns out it wasn't rejetted. the white spacer mod works great !, very few to no backfires with 1/2 spacer and 152.5 main. tonight I will change oil to castrol 10w40. former owner told me he had put synthetic in. the clutch slipping will hopefully go away.
any way thanks everyone
franch

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: you folks are great
Reply #1 - 10/14/05 at 07:42:19

Personally, I'd go with 15w50.

From the Technical Corner

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sean franchi

Reply #2 - 10/14/05 at 08:42:35

Savage Rob,
will that help with clutch slippage more than 10w40 ?
will it matter that i ride in new england where the temps will be dropping soon ?
thanks
franch

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 10/14/05 at 08:51:10

sean ... I run 10W40 in my LS as per MOM's instructions ... no clutch slippage ... I'm a bit north and east of you, so we only get a few "hot" days a year ... the heavier weight 15W m/c oil might be fine for New England during July & August, but for the rest of your Riding season, 10 weight should be fine.
What year & milage is your Savage?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/14/05 at 09:14:24

All that I know is that I tried Mobile One a few years ago and inspite of what others said, I noticed clutch slippage under load.  I went back to dino lube....

Recently though, I found Mobile One's new product for V-Twins and I figured that since a large bore single is just half of a V-Twin, I decided to try it again.  So far, both mine and the spouse's bike seem to be working fine with this new  "motorcycle specific" oil

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/14/05 at 10:28:50

I'm using a motorcycle-specific synthetic and it works fine - no slippage.  However, I plan to switch back to dino oil after my supply runs out because I don't mind changing the oil more often on the bike and I don't really see a lot of benefit other than the increased lifespan.  So far as 15w50 over 10w40, I was thinking of the heavier weight and the heat this bike generates but I am also in Texas and have warmer weather year-round.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sean franchi

Reply #6 - 10/14/05 at 10:37:53

my savage is a 98 with 18700 miles on it. i bought it in august with 16050 miles
sean

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 12:48:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › you folks are great

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.