mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Dell'Orto carb?
09/22/05 at 10:03:20

Roll Eyes
I have found a 32mm Dell'Orto carb off a MotoGuzzi on Italian eBay, and given I do understand how those work, but know zero on how a Keihin works, I was wondering if it could be compatible...  ???

I believe the standard carb is a 40mm, but is that the diameter of the butterfly valve (throttle) or the diameter of the intake ? If the latter is the case, then the butterfly valve _could_ be smaller, maybe 38, 36... so a well tuned 32 _might_ do the job...  Roll Eyes
or am I just barking up the wrong tree  Undecided

Maurizio from Italy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Dell'Orto carb?
Reply #1 - 09/22/05 at 15:23:19

Cheesy
Aw, come on guys, 12 views and not even somebody waving hello?
Haven't got a clue? Undecided
Gimme a hand...
It isn't urgent, it could actually be unnecessary, ut I would appreciate some kind of support... ???

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 09/22/05 at 15:32:59

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Cheesy
Aw, come on guys, 12 views and not even somebody waving hello?
Haven't got a clue? Undecided
Gimme a hand...
It isn't urgent, it could actually be unnecessary, ut I would appreciate some kind of support... ???

Maurizio

did you read the first post, " read this before posting"?,

you will get more responses if you would have posted it in the rubber side down section.  

this section is for technical documents and tips and tricks not questions like you posed, that is why you havent recieved the responses.   generally we are a very helpfull group. but don't always come to this section unless we need something.    

also using the search feature you can find out about any topic that has been previously discussed.  just set the default back further than 7 days.  

welcome, i hope this clears things up for you

sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/22/05 at 15:47:39

I never tried it but I think the 32mm Dell'Orto would take some power off the top end & add back a little torque off idle & down low, compared to the 40mm stocker.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 09/22/05 at 16:07:13

Right... hmmm... we need a thinking smiley here...
anyway, I had been made aware of the RSD issue and bow my head in shame (the one with two ears, leave the 4 valves alone)
Now, that last comment makes me think, maybe if I get two 22-24mm carbs, a "Y" intake manifold, and set them up so one opens first, then the other, like a double barrel (no double barrels that small I'm afraid) maybe I could actually make it go faster AND use less gas at low revs?
??? ??? ???

Maurizio
Now, that 24/36 Dell'Orto I saw somewhere...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 09/23/05 at 02:01:05

A slide carb would need to be at least 37mm to equal the flow of the standard 40mm cv.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 09/23/05 at 06:30:03

I had posted a response when you first put your question up, but somewhere along the line it was dropped.
I have to agree that for the Savage you need a 36-38 mm carb to provide the flow needed.  It would work with a 32-34 but the top end would be severly limited.  I have not personally used a Dellorto before but have heard good things about them.  If you are going to make the change, make it a good change.  If you put a small carb on you will gain nothing.
I had thought about the dual carb setup before, but the time and expense would be too much...especially with the very mild state of tune of the stock Savage engine.  If you were to build a race ready engine then it might work.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 09/23/05 at 07:28:25

Why not just order a 2 barrel carb off of BikeBandit? Get one for an XT550 Yamaha. Just shy of $600 US. For the body casting, the complete unit will run over $1000 by the time it is dialed in. Shocked  Angry

For a true bolt-on "improvement" with minimal work, swap your BS40 out for an HSR40. HSR series flow better than most other Mikuni 40mm carbs. And, you can performance tune the HSR, where as the BS series is limited to jet changes and mild tract polishing.

You could probably make an S.U. work, but, why?

Buy one of Lancer's Edelbrocks or Amals and be done with it.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 09/23/05 at 10:18:24

Could try a Keihin FCR39/41.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 09/27/05 at 16:48:05

I hope I get the humor behind the comments by Lancer and WD.
I have also found a Dello'Orto 30/32 double barrel ''for a fistful of dollars'' but have to see how to link it to the head via its own manifold.
I recal somebody ranting about SUs.
SUs come in ''inch'' sizes, 1 1/4'' to 2'' sizes, and 40mm match the 1 1/2'' size. Smoother pickup and extremely simple to setup, and seldom if ever goes out of tune.

Still, I can work on a Dell'Orto, never even seen a Keiin before. This is my first jap bike ever.

Maurizio
PS By the way, Mr. Moderator, if a question over compatibility between different brand carbs, throttle disc diameters and airflow isn't technical, what is? ???

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 09/28/05 at 04:57:11

The tech section is trying to be for documents and pictures on how to do things with the discussions about it here -

anyway - I may have missed something - but do you have a Keihin carb on your ls650 and not the stock mikuni bs-40?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 09/28/05 at 06:05:00

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
PS By the way, Mr. Moderator, if a question over compatibility between different brand carbs, throttle disc diameters and airflow isn't technical, what is? ???

I don't recall any dispute as to whether the question was technical in nature.  However, that's never been the point.  The point is that the Technical Corner forum is for technical documentation and procedures - not questions of any ilk.  Questions and discussion go to the Rubber Side Down forum.  If one should develop into something that would be truly useful as a document, it can be cleaned up and placed in the Technical Corner.  This is explained in the DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE: READ THIS FIRST! post at the top of that forum.

Drive through please...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #12 - 09/28/05 at 08:40:19

OK
Point taken, especially because if I intend using this forum then it's a VERY bad idea to have an argument with the Moderator.
My former experience lies with these gentlemen
www.mgcars.org.uk
you're welcome to visit, and the ''general topic'' questions are just that, general topics; anything which has to do with a cross threaded plug or a magnetic sump plug collecting swarf or tuning the ignition advance to take SantaPod 110RON fuel, well, that's ''technical''.
But I guess those gentlemen are ''Brits'' so they may not align to a ''Savage'' frame of mind.
Me, wanting to be both, I'll just have to disengage one brain and engage the other.
Being birdbrained, I have plenty of room for all my brains to play ''musical chairs'' and scurry with their little synapses all over the place.
By the way, I've also found a 34mm Dell'Orto with a dozen or so jets, fitted to a 125cc 2stroke tuned for track use only, so if it delivered 36+hp in a 125cc I guess it can deliver 32 on a Savage.
What say?

Maurizio
(weather forecast looks promising for Friday, wish me luck, 500 miles is still 500 miles, rain or shine)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 09/28/05 at 12:45:48

Maybe...the little 125 is taking a lot of small gulps of the fuel air mix to make its power.  The Savage is going to need much larger gulps of the mix, but fewer of them, over a given period of time.  Also, considering that most all 500 singles use a 32 mm carb for stock purposes, and a 34mm for performance use, I would conclude that the 650 Savage would do well with a 36mm at least for performance work.  It will work with a 34mm but I doubt that you will get the performance level of a 36 or 38mm carb.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 18:20:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dell'Orto carb?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.