Chain drive mod? (Read 5 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Chain drive mod?
09/21/05 at 08:56:27

I have just bought my 1988 Savage  (still have to collect it actually, it'll be a good 500 mile ride ... hope it won't rain ) and one thing I'm not too comfortable with is the belt drive. It's recent, having donne no more than 1000 miles in the last three years, but not being able to gauge the wear makes me uneasy.
Also, converting to chain drive would allow me to modify the final drive ratio anything from +5% to +10%, meaning lower revs at cruising speed (and possibly better mileage figures)
Remember, mine's a 4 speed.

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Chain drive mod?
Reply #1 - 09/21/05 at 11:06:55

The belt is virtually indestructable, and I believe it is possible to change the ratio with it as well as a chain conversion.  The belt on the Savage is the same as used on the Harley's, so a a Harley belt pulley should work as well.  The bolt hole spacing may not be the same but that can be changed in short order at a machine shop...just drill some new holes to match the Savage mounting bolts.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 09/21/05 at 11:23:51

If you're set on a chain drive, check out this post by Kropatchek found by searching on the phrase "chain".  It has other links and searches to several previous discussions.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 09/22/05 at 00:37:31

Overseas (Europe, Asia & South Am.), 'zuki marketed the LS400 Savage for awhile that came stock with a chain final drive ... I've read that the entire LS400 drive assembly (chain & sprockets) are a direct swap for the LS650 ... and I've also read that these parts can be ordered from overseas suppliers ... maybe some of our non-North American members can chime in here!
Hey Redwine is from Chile and rides a LS400 ... but I haven't heard/seen him on the Forum in awhile?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 09/22/05 at 00:38:47

OK right.
Thanks.
I got kind of curious because I found a german ad on ebay selling the kit for 179E. instead of 199E. - keep in mind the exchange rate plus shipping overseas to the US for the rest of you, so that would tally up to an easy US$250-270.
On the other hand, I assume the engine block is not very dissimilar from the enduro bikes, DR600 - 750 - 800, so a full choice of front sprockets should be available. Rear sprocket I'm sure we can all find.

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 09/22/05 at 03:35:37

8)Ciao Maurizio! Just checked your Profile and I see that you are from Rome, Italia! Cool! This past summer my family and I hosted an Exchange Student from Trieste, Italia and met several more Italian students from Rome, Milano, Sardinia, etc. ... great kids all ... and all enjoyed their 4 weeks here in Newfoundland!
Ciao amico!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Manxman
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Reply #6 - 09/22/05 at 12:49:10

FYI - the rear hub for an LS650 cross references with the rear hub for a 1989 Suzuki DR-750, which has a chain final drive. I believe the part number is 64110-24B00 at Anderson Vintage Parts. I't may be possible to bolt a DR-750 sprocket to the hub of an LS650. As for the front sprocket I have no clue - maybe a DR front sprocket is a bolt-on as well.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 09/22/05 at 15:21:06

Grin
Hey, that would be realy funny, because I'm also haggling a DR750 from a german colleague who doesn't want to be bothered riding it back home 1000 miles this winter!!! Roll Eyes
Imagine, a belt driven DR750? Ideal city bike 8)
And, chain drive to the Savage for free...
OR
pay a few bucks for the chain&sprockets, and a free DR750 to go!
Wadayasay?
Grin Grin Grin
Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #8 - 09/23/05 at 20:45:31

Hello All,

I have been absent from the forum lately because of a combination of factors:
- An excessive workload;
- A new cubicle partner, my supervisor!!!!
- My ride is in my friendly mechanic's shop, with its head and cylinder spread over a bench (blew a valve seat and the seats, valve guides and chain are being fixed/replaced) for almost 1 1/2 months now (still another two weeks before it's ready, not time to do spare parts shopping);
- Bought new piston rings, for a Yamaha XT550 (just needed to machine one of the piston grooves) and bore the cylinder inside for a nice polished look;
- I've been driving the cage lately (su*cks);
- and to make it all even worse, Spring started yesterday!!!!

The chain conversion is easy to do, a few guys here have LS650s and do not like belts, used the DR sprockets, just make sure you measure everything before buying/installing.

Best,

RW

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 09/26/05 at 11:46:19

Cheesy
Hey VinoTinto,
Como stas Usted?
OK no more monkey Spanish, but it's nice to see there's another Forum Member from _outside_ the States.

Una pregunta... the LS650's piston rings are compatible with those from a Yamaha XT550?  ???
Would this mean... the piston is (in theory) compatible and an _almost_ swap? ???
I mean, a 650 Yazuki... Shocked, or maybe Suzama would be more PC?  Grin Grin Grin

I still have to figure out a way to fit personalized saddle bags... I mean, ordinary leather / cordura saddle bags are wayyyy too commonplace... how about a pair of genuine counterfeit _designer_ bags in real imitation lookalike leather?
Black, 'course.
It's mater of... out from the crowd.
Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #10 - 09/30/05 at 14:44:49

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

Una pregunta... the LS650's piston rings are compatible with those from a Yamaha XT550?  ???
Would this mean... the piston is (in theory) compatible and an _almost_ swap? ???
I mean, a 650 Yazuki... Shocked, or maybe Suzama would be more PC?  Grin Grin Grin

Hello Maurizio,

As far as I know, the XT550 piston rings are almost a direct swap with my LS400's rings, only a little expansion of the piston grooves is required....

Best,

RW

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 10/03/05 at 00:48:55

Well, I have collected the bike in a small town about 35 miles north of Milan, and rode my way back to Rome (500+miles).
1st impression report: the bike:
- rattles and bucks like a wild mustang, she IS a Savage!
- has relatively long geared 1st-3rd gears, but 4th gears is too short ratioed for regular highway cruising (at 70mph she sounded like close to overrevving, possibly around 4000 rpm?)
- MONKEY A$$, I had mirages of soft pillows beyond the horizon!
- she spits and barps and backfires when closing the throttle shut, my bro said it looked cool from the car (he followed me home for a brief while) and it keeps the cagers at a adistance!
- no tacho, speedo on the tank is not my style, will have to find a solution.
- needs a pack rack to say the least.

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #12 - 10/03/05 at 00:56:40

Welcome to the world of SAVAGES.

Look through the forum carefully, set the search function on 50 or even more days and you will find solutions/anwers to all your remarks and questions you might have.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 10/03/05 at 04:56:31

Hey Kropatchek, that's an awfully tiny Savage you're riding in your avatar, what did you do, wash it in hot water?
Thanks fot the tips

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #14 - 10/03/05 at 16:21:13

i personally believe the cons out weigh the pros on this issue, and i speak from experience on this matter.

my last ride was an 81 gn400, the precurser to the savage line, i put 98,000 miles on it in 23 years.

i ate up as many chains as i did rear tires.  these machines  have so much torque the wide belt was required, wider than any harley i've seen.  

now if you just putter around and take it easy a chain would be ok.

then comes the left side shock mount off set, a chain would amplify that large gap.

then theres the constant lubrication, and adjustment.  you will be yanking out links monthly if you ride hard.

now if i was building a show bike out of a savage, it would be a different story.  hardtail struts, chain drive,
ect.    

just my opinion, like an a$$ hole, every body's got one, they all stink.  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 07:55:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain drive mod?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.