Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Bike wont take throttle
Reply #15 - 09/17/05 at 05:58:21

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

So torque, you have staight through exhaust with the stock main jet and you think your bike is jetted properly ? Do a full throttle kill, then read your plug.  Running that lean is destructive.

no my bike sure isnt lean thats for damm sure!still backfires(rich condition).
only rejet when if u have srewed up the carb so bad that it dosent run.the savage is a very forgiving
bike same goes for the carb.

u said it backfired with the SE and  spacer,it was to rich then,then u filed the spacer down and made it super rich.make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust.

IP Logged
f204
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/17/05 at 06:05:04

Dosent it mean its running too lean if it backfires??

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #17 - 09/17/05 at 06:13:01

if it backfires when accellerating its to lean.
if it backfires while decellerating its to rich.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 09/17/05 at 06:55:04

Pull the slide out of the carb and check it for dirt, sounds like it is hanging up when you open the throttle. Could also be a vacumn leak or hole in the diaphram. Don't mess around with rejetting the carb yet, you need to get the bike running first before you start any other carb modification.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/17/05 at 06:57:35

you said it runs better wth the 145 stk jet  than the 160  ...it seems the 160 is way too rich for the savage unless yer running no air box with a cone directly on the carb and no baffles in the exhauast. I 've got a 155 and its just little on the rich side.  I get a little soot . 160  is by far to rich with your setup

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #20 - 09/17/05 at 07:21:02

savage777 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
you said it runs better wth the 145 stk jet  than the 160  ...it seems the 160 is way too rich for the savage unless yer running no air box with a cone directly on the carb and no baffles in the exhauast. I 've got a 155 and its just little on the rich side.  I get a little soot . 160  is by far to rich with your setup

i had the airbox removed with a chev 4inch air cleaner,sticking out the left side of the bike.and i do have a straight pipe too.

it was only too rich at high rpms,the 160 and the 145 have the same get up and go power

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes             Roll Eyes                Roll Eyes               Roll Eyes

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 09/17/05 at 08:33:12

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
if it backfires when accellerating its to lean.

You have that backward dude, it is just the opposite.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 09/17/05 at 09:04:30

savage777 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

When I was still running the stock carb, the main jet was a #160(3 over), and the pilot jet was a #55(1 over),the needle had the white piece removed and an extra notch for the clip was created below the  original notch(those changes richened the mix in the low. mid, and high ranges), the air passage hole in the top of the slide was drilled out slightly larger for quicker response, and a "dial-a-jet kit" was installed to fill in any lean areas of the curve.  This was on an engine bored one size over, silicone carbide treated cylinder, Performance Design muffler, velocity stack and K&N on the carb, and a reground cam....The point being that if your engine is still stock, and the only changes you have made are the muffler and filter, the jetting on the carb does not need a lot of change.  Going up 1 or 2 sizes on the main jet and 1 size on the pilot jet should be sufficient for the low and high range of the throttle.  There is still one thing missing though...what about the midrange?  The needle is the primary controller of the midrange.  Removing the little white piece will SLIGHTLY richen the midrange, but for the best result a jet kit is needed.  It comes with a new needle with notches for adjusting...but it is also a different shape which also changes the fuel/air ratio.  The kit also has a few main jets to play with but no pilot jets.  If you really want to do a proper job of jetting in a stock carb I suggest getting a jet kit and a pilot jet.  That way you can rejet all 3 ranges, low/mid/high, for the optimum fuel/air ratio from idle to wide open.
I would also suggest that anyone who has not done so yet, go to Mikuni.com, motorcycles, and find the tuning info they have...it is excellent.  It explains in detail what to do, and why.  There is also some trouble shooting stuff to work with.  
As long as you are going to tinker with your engine you might as well learn from the folks that built the carb in the first place.
Go forth and have fun!

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #23 - 09/17/05 at 09:29:18

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
You have that backward dude, it is just the opposite.

http://www.type2.com/library/exhaust/backfire.htm

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 09/17/05 at 10:51:38

I was not able to get the link put in here correctly so I will just type it in.

From Mikuni website...Tuning Guide...4.  Backfires in Exhaust....................

"It is normal for many high performance exhaust systems to moderately backfire or pop when the throttle is closed from mid-to-high rpm.  In fact, one should expect a well-tuned high performance engine to "pop" and "crackle" when the throttle is closed at high rpm.
The popping is a result of the air/fuel mixture becoming very lean when the throttle is closed and the engine is rotating well above idle speed.  It is also necessary that the exhaust system have rather open mufflers.

Why This (normally) Happens:

1) When the throttle valve is in the idle position, fuel does not flow out of the main system (needle, needle jet, main jet).   Fuel is only delivered to the engine by the pilot (idle) system.
2) The combined effect of the closed throttle and elevated engine rpm is to create a fairly strong vacuum in the intake manifold.  This vacuum, in turn, causes a high air flow rate through the small gap formed by the throttle valve and carburetor throat.
3) Under these conditions the pilot (idle) system cannot diliver enough fuel to create a normal, combustible air/fuel ratio.  The mixture becomes too lean to burn reliably in the combustion chamber.  It gets sent into the exhaust system unburned and collects there.
4) When the odd firing of the lean mixture does occur, it is sent, still burning, into the exhaust system where it sometimes ignites the raw mixture that has collected...the exhaust then pops or backfires.
5) Completely stock Harleys do not do this until open-end mufflers, such as the popular Screamin' Eagle slip-ons are installed.  The exhaust must be both free-flowing and have an open exit for the popping to occur.

Other possible causes:

Air Leaks:

Any source of fresh air into the exhaust system can create or worsen the conditions that bring about exhaust backfiring.  The most common entry point is the junction of the header pipes and mufflers.  Even a small air leak can dramatically increase the intensity or likelihood of exhaust system backfiring.

Lean Carburetion:

While exhaust system popping may be considered normal, it is certainly made worse by an overly lean idle circuit.  
Be sure that your carburetor's pilot jet is the correct size and that the idle air mixture screw is correctly adjusted before looking for other causes of popping.  The procedure for adjusting the pilot circuit is covered in the TUNING MANUAL."

The info you referenced was talking of the "pooled raw fuel" in the exhaust pipe that was the result of an overly lean jetted carb.  Remember you quote said "temporary over rich"...the temporary is the pooled fuel.  I think the confusion was a result of trying to explain in a single sentence, when it needed a couple of paragraphs to do it properly.
I hope this clears things up for you.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #25 - 09/17/05 at 15:40:20

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

The following is a great article which describes deacceleration popping. Since this article was written, the guys on this board have discovered that removing the white spacer results in a rich condition. 1/2 spacer is perfect for aftermarket exhaust. My bike runs fantastic in the midrange. It pulls like a freight train Grin

Quote:
Savage Backfire
(from January 1997 RIDER magazine's Tech Q&A)

Q) I purchased a new Suzuki Savage 650 last July. From the very beginning the motorcycle would backfire when decelerating or coming to a stop. I took it back to the dealer twice before the 600-mile service, and complained about it at the initial service. I have tried different grades of gasoline and they seem to have no effect. The dealer has told me that I should expect backfiring with the design of this engine and that it should decrease as I build up mileage. I have 900 miles on the bike now and backfiring doesn't seem to be decreasing. I have found other riders of Suzuki Savages that are having the same problem. - Jay Coney, Kerrville, Texas.

A) This column receives a lot of mail over the course of a month, and the single biggest gripe among our readers are problems with lean-running. late-model carbureted bikes.

The poor old LS 650 really suffers at the hands of the EPA, and I certainly sympathize with you, Coney. We can fix it, but first let me explain the hows and whys.

When the throttle of any engine is rolled or snapped shut, some fuel is drawn through the engine and kicked out the exhaust without being burned. In abundance, this raw fuel vapor can be smelled, tasted - and when light is passed through it- seen. It's referred to as photo-hydrocarbons or more commonly smog. Yes, there are several other pollutants coming out of the exhaust, but the human senses can't detect them. The manufacturer of motorcycles have three methods of dealing with excessive hydrocarbons. Forcing air down into the exhaust port with an air pump and diluting the outgoing fuel vapor is one method. Kawasaki pioneered this method with their 'Clean Air System', which employed a vacuum-driven pump that puffed air through reed valves placed over the exhaust system. A 'cat' is nothing more than an oven which bakes the hydrocarbons, burning them off.

The most common method is to simply lean out the carburetor. The low-speed and midrange circuits of the late-model carburetor are not adjusted to give optimum performance - they're set up to produce a minimum hydrocarbon count on deceleration. What miserly amount of fuel they do deliver to the combustion chamber when the throttle is closed causes misfire and an audible afterfire in the exhaust pipe.

Now, I haven't mentioned fuel injection or other exhaust gases. As I said, the bulk of complaints from readers of this column is deceleration backfire and also poor idling of carbureted engines. No doubt we'll get around to discussing other emission-control devices and their problems in future issues.

Getting back to your Savage 650, Coney, here's how we can specifically cure its problem. We need to richen those two areas of the curburetion curve that are factory set on the ridiculous side of leanness. Remove the diaphragm slide from the carburetor and look down inside its bore. Two small screws hold a plate over the slide needle. Removing the plate, you'll see a small, white plastic spacer with a hole through it sitting on top of the needle. Throw that spacer away and reinstall the plate. A spring under the needle clip will now push the needle up to the plate occupying the space vacated by the white spacer. The distance that the needle has been 'lifted' is the thickness of the discarded spacer - and that's ideal. With the needle raised, more fuel will flow by it, meeting the actual needs of midrange running.

We can also fatten up the low end of your bike's carburetor by turning out the low-speed mixture screw. To gain access to this screw, you'll need to drill out the brass plug pressed in over it and yank it out with a sheet-metal screw attached to a slide hammer. You'll find that plug up high on the right side of the carb about where the mouth enters the carburetor. Usually Suzuki applies a splash of white paint over the brass plug so that it's immediately noticeable. With the engine warmed up and idling, turn the mixture screw out incrementally until you achieve the highest idle. There will be no doubt in your mind that you're making progress because the idle will come up and sound stronger. At this point, turn the idle adjuster knob out and bring the idle back down to a leisurely gait.

Just these two, relatively simple adjustments will not only eliminate the backfire, they will make an amazing improvement in throttle response and driveability.

The URL for that article is:
http://www.heise-workstations.de/ls650/Reviews/BrucesReview-e.html

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 09/17/05 at 18:00:43

MMMM...this sounds familiar.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 09/17/05 at 22:46:19

Mine has been running a little weak on the low end grunt with an open Raask pipe.  Top end great, but weak on the bottom.  I just fashioned a new baffle which I hope will bring back a little of the bottom end that my spouse has with her SuperTrapp.  Gonna find out with a ride tomorrow.

Clive!  What are those numbers for good flow with a straight through pipe again?  My new experimental baffle is a rod that is 12" long....

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 09/18/05 at 11:23:02

just my 2cents i tought motors back fire when they run rich i know this becuse my bike only backfires not very offten when i get on it a lot hints raw gas gets mix in there so how  and when i gun it and hit the kill switch
i think  torque is right  Shocked  just my 2cents

shawn Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 09/18/05 at 11:48:18

There is a difference between accelerating and decelerating.

If you are running with a main jet that is too large (rich condition in high throttle range), for example, when accelerating and when you turn your throttle past the 1/2 to 2/3 throttle position you can  experience backfiring, stubling, loss of power, etc.  With a main jet that is too small (lean condition) the result will be primarily loss of power....as you said "when I get on it", which means you have your throttle cranked on.

In a decelerating situation with the throttle backed off, a lean pilot circuit will result in the backfiring as discribed in the extensive explanation I posted earlier.

READ CAREFULLY the explanation from the Mikuni site that I posted.  That gives a detailed picture of what is happening in the engine/exhaust system.  DON'T JUST ASSUME an idea is correct because it SEEMS to be right...READ THE FACTS & INCREASE YOUR UNDERSTANDING.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 03:03:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike wont take throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.