Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Layed the bike down, im ok. (Read 10 times)
Joel
Ex Member

Layed the bike down, im ok.
08/21/05 at 15:26:35

My wife and I were leaving a mall parking lot when a little kid walked right out in front of us. I couldn't swerve because there were people on either side of us (and I didn't know what the kid was going to do). I grabbed the brakes hard and started to stop, but I didn't think I was going to make it so I layed it over. We were not going very fast so my wife and I were both uninjured (I dont count my scraped knee/elbow). The bike stoped literally a foot away from where the kid was.

Here is the part that pisses me off, the parents of the kid just haul ass outa there while we are on the ground. The first thing I did was shut off the bike and make sure Shannon was ok. I look up and the family is hustling over to their car. Other people around us wanted to know if we were ok, and wanted to help. My savage is ok with the exception of a bent right peg.

I understand that accidents do happen, but the lack of responsibility in our society is disgusting. We could of been seriously hurt. I choose the action that placed the most risk for me, and the least for the kid. If it was a car, he most likely would of been hit. Then WE would have been the bad guys.

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Re: Layed the bike down, im ok.
Reply #1 - 08/21/05 at 15:34:36

I don't understand.

Rubber on asphalt has better traction than metal on asphalt, right?

IP Logged
Joel
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/21/05 at 15:36:51

You're right, but that was my instinct for some reason. It happened so fast, im just glad we stopped.

IP Logged
Still Savage
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/21/05 at 15:49:39

good call save the kid......pegs can be replaced! As for the parents (and kid) running off.....???????????????? Not sure why they felt they were doing on that one!

IP Logged
Still Savage
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/21/05 at 15:50:30

Glad the both of you are ok (and the bike too)!

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #5 - 08/21/05 at 16:25:08

the same thig happened to me but a car pulled out in front of me ,i hit the brakes so hard both brakes locked up making steering useless ,so i laid it downon the left side and still hit the car but not as bad as i would have ,i was fine , but my mirror shatterd.her insureance paid for it ,but still aggrivated me ,neways,im glad your all right Wink

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/21/05 at 18:15:18

i've had a couple cars pull out on my. Made my bike go into a skid. Luckly

1. i wasnt going to fast
2. i wasnt ride 2up
3. the savage is a light bike

Skid the bike put my left foot down, as i had the right foot on the brake just held it like a bicycle, not sure if any of you did it when you were kids but you'd slam the breaks to make skid marks on the pavement and the bike would lean. Kinda like they do on the dirt bikes. Got  straightened out told off the person in the car. They wouldn't even look at me. i really wanted to pull them over or follow but i'm praticing GOOD CHI trieng to have good energy.  the first time it happened it almost leaned to far left i thought for sure i was going to drop it. ADRENILINE BABY  8)

GLad to know you and your lady are allright. Man i dont know what i'd do if my old lady got hurt while i was cruising her around. I dont think we've even talked about what she would need to do in a situation like that . Prolly a good time to do it.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 08/21/05 at 20:16:50

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
GLad to know you and your lady are allright. Man i dont know what i'd do if my old lady got hurt while i was cruising her around. I dont think we've even talked about what she would need to do in a situation like that . Prolly a good time to do it.

that's why i bobbed mine, and went with the springer solo seat.  she on the other hand went out and bought more life  insurance. Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Joel
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/21/05 at 20:53:33

More than anything, Im thankful that my wife is ok. I would seriously reconsider riding if something happened to her. I appreciate the lightweight savage. I can easily pick it up, and it wont crush you on the way down!

IP Logged
roughrider
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/21/05 at 21:01:14

glad everything turned out OK Joel!

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/21/05 at 22:18:41

Hey Torque

U got any mirrors left?  If you dont goto the stealership they got aftermarkets for only 11.99  not too shappy.

IP Logged
Spartan71
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/22/05 at 07:30:05

Nice job Joel!  Glad you are both ok.  Hopefully, the kid's parents will think about it and teach him to be more careful.  While they're at it, they could learn a thing or two about common courtesy.

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #12 - 08/22/05 at 15:59:17

I have given this alot of thought. glad to here you and your lady are ok. as for the parents although not very wise to run off and not even see if you were ok.But one look at the world around us tells alot,here is what I mean, People are getting killed over everything. take a parking spot someone has been waitin for get shot. Your kid causes someone to lay there bike down get shot or sued for everything you got. do not get me wrong I still do not think what they did was right,but look at how the world is now adays. Shocked Shocked Shocked

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #13 - 08/22/05 at 20:40:52

Joel;

That's is our Californian ??? Inconsiderated(majority of them are) Angry

Glad that you and your lady are okay. I don't know if the S.E.E. technique from MSF course could have prevent the crash. It save my skin quite a few time!#$? Expect the unexpected.

Ride Safe

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/23/05 at 02:22:05

I'm glad you and Shannon are all right.  $#%! the footpeg.  Smiley

You know, I wonder how old the kid was?  I don't have kids, but I've been one for 37 years, and --

Wait, let me start again.

I don't have kids, but when I was little, I couldn't imagine one of my parents not having a pretty firm grip on my hand while walking in a busy parking lot.  And if I got away and walked off, I'd catch hell for it.  

If it resulted in anything like what happened to you, I'd still be grounded.

I wonder, were they too busy carrying their stuff to watch their kid? Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 10:55:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Layed the bike down, im ok.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.